Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Average Age? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/5723-average-age.html)

Neal Jackson 04-21-1999 07:57 PM

We have gotten a lot of new members over the past week or two - how about sharing your Cobra story with us? http://clubcobra.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Neal

GEORGE ANDERSON 04-23-1999 07:10 PM

Reading all of these great stories really hits home with me too! I'm 50 and bought my Midstates in October 1993 and picked it up the day before Christmas as a rolling chassis. It took 400+ hours for us to finish it but my first drive was August 15th 1994 a day I will never forget. The cobra even has a picture posted on our Family calendar along with everyone else in the family. My first memory was riding in a real Cobra in 1966 in Hastings Nebraska. My cousin from Lincoln had one. I remember him getting rubber in every gear going over the old overpass by my house. I could never get that ride out of my mind. I had a 67 Mustang 390 new in 67 when I graduated fom high school and two years later it was painted orange and called the "Phony Pony". When I joined the army in 69 my dad sold the car.I had two different Vettes in Germany while in the service. I thought I had just about got fast cars out of my system and figured they would never make another Mustang like my 67. Then in 87 I laid eyes on the New 5.0 Convertible with the ground effects package and the urge for power started over again. By 1990 we added a SHO Taurus and a Shay 31 Model A. In the summer of 1993 I broke a drive shaft on the Drag truck I had (59 ranchero) and it blew the M/T Slick at 100mph, My wife said that would be the last time she would tow me back to the pits and perhaps we should build something safer.....Donated the Ranchero to the community college drag race team and called Midstates...Now three Run & Guns later words will never be sufficient to express the feeling every time I "Get my attitude Adjustment Fix". By the way the Lettering on the Drag Truck was "Absolute Adolescent", and that still fits like a glove. Owning a Cobra is a dream come true. I think the biggest joy is meeting all the new friends who share this great love of cobras. It matters little the manufacture, the engine, the color....it's just the fact we all love our cobras and enjoy the happiness it brings into our lives.

[This message has been edited by GEORGE ANDERSON (edited 04-24-99).]

rbray 05-03-1999 06:11 AM

Okay, guess it's my turn.
I'm 42 years old and up until a year ago I never considered building a Cobra. My life changed last year when I was diagnosed with a rather nasty genetic lung disease. It seems that I have alread lost the majority of my lung function and I will need a lung transplant down the road. Moral of the story: Life is short. I'm doing this Cobra project on a lark and I'm having a GREAT time. I spend more time reading books than I do turning wrenches because I know so little about cars, but I'm having fun learning. This month marks the end of the first year of the project and so far I have the frame, suspension and body with aluminum trim for my E-M. I hoping to have my car on the road in another two years, but that depends on my finance committe ( wife of 13 years ). I hope to make it to Run and Gun. If I do go I will have to be back on Wednesday to get my weekly medical treatment ( IV drug infusion ) . I'm looking forward to meeting many of you and seeing your cars.
roger in Lexington, KY

Neal Jackson 05-03-1999 06:54 AM

Roger,

You're an Inspiration!

Good Luck!

Neal

rbray 05-03-1999 03:21 PM

Fred,
I built a MiG 29 a few years ago but had to sell it because it couldn't pass emissions http://clubcobra.com/ubb/smile.gif
roger

John McMahon 05-04-1999 02:21 AM

Fred,

What does that mean??? No cats on planes????
You must be losing it. I hope Burt gets your car to you soon, you're losing it!

AREN'T YOU SUPPOSED TO PICK THAT PIG UP THIS WEEK???

JM

[This message has been edited by John McMahon (edited 05-04-99).]

Scott Smith 05-04-1999 10:51 AM

Fred:

Smoke signals??

Be gentle to poor John. Wasn't he the dyslexic student at semaphore school?

John McMahon 05-05-1999 02:02 AM

Fred,

Sorry old chap...seems as though I'm thick as a brick lately...must be the electric shock treatment! BTW, you are correct, there is no place to hide!

Scott,

If I could find my semaphore flags, I'd curse you out, but I made a left in my hallway, when I meant to make a right and now I'm lost!

John "I'm losin' my mind" McMahon

Jeff Burgy 05-10-1999 05:42 AM

Hello guys! What an interesting site!

I'm 52 years old, and I've been in love with Cobras since the early sixties. I used to think one day I might own a real one, but they were always JUST out of reach. I remember test-driving a used 427 in 1971, and thinking, "I'll have to sell ALL SIX of my Mustangs, and drive this thing in the SNOW!"
Another time, I almost had a trade worked out, to trade three of my Shelbys for a 289 Cobra that was an "old race car" sitting in a barn - turned out to be a real FIA car - but Gordon Gimble beat me to it.

I've owned dozens of Mustangs, some early, some late, a couple Tigers, and a Pantera. I've worked at Ford nearly thirty years, and am a die-hard Mustang and Cobra fan. I've been to EVERY single National Convention for SAAC that they have ever had.

Reality caught up with me when my lovely wife died of cancer at age 39 in 1986. She had been a tremendous supporter in my hobby. A couple years after her passing, I decided I'd better do what I want to do, while I still could.

I had my mind made up though, being a hard-core "small-block" guy, I wanted a 289 FIA. It took me a while, but after several years of cajoling, I got Peter and Phil at ERA to do the FIA car.....I got the first one.

My car is everything I dreamed of, fast, beautiful, and fun-to-drive. I only wish Diane were here to enjoy it with me, but I know she's smiling on me from up above!

[This message has been edited by Jeff Burgy (edited 06-16-1999).]

rklein 05-10-1999 01:48 PM

Hi Jeff,

It's good to have you as part of this wonderful site! I am truly saddened to hear about your wife. Perhaps it would help if I told you that my experience is similar but that it was a divorce that took us apart. I've wanted a Cobra since first sitting in a white 289 roadster in a showroom in Santa Rosa, CA in 1965. Always liked the way the 427S/C looked but didn't want the heavy engine 'cause I always wanted great handling; so I'm going with a 351W in a 427 S/C body . Hope to be on the road in August? By the way, I am your age too!
Randy Klein

Pat 05-10-1999 03:00 PM

I just quickly went back thru all 93 posts to this thread and at 56 I may be the oldest member. Kind of scary. I just got my Cobra on the 10th of last month and am making up for lost time. I've put 2200 miles on it so far! I might be the oldest but I'm definately having the most fun. I am glad this forum is available - you great people are making my experience that much greater.
Ps. Happy Birthday, John!
Thanks, Pat

cobratech 05-10-1999 05:31 PM

For me its a fever, I called it cobra fever, once you get it ,nothing will stand in your way. I'm 43

Jeff Burgy 05-11-1999 01:35 AM

Randy - Thanks for the kind words. Diane and I were heavily involved with SAAC, and my "extended family" at SAAC helped me cope. I'll never forget Carroll Shelby walking up to me at the SAAC National in Dearborn and saying "I'm really sorry to hear about Diane...". And Tom Georgalos from NorCal sent me a really nice letter, telling me about his experience, along the same lines as mine. Time helps, but you never REALLY get completely over it.

I've been reading about your car under the "Shop Talk" section. This is a really great forum for getting information, and you can do it from the comfort of home. Great to get input from so many sources, and not just from the folks who want to sell you something. Good luck with your project!

Cobra2 05-11-1999 01:43 AM

Pat.
It looks like you, Art then me as the sneiors unless some are sandbagging.

wtcobra 05-11-1999 04:23 AM

Cobra2- you should look at the ages again regarding seniority, but what can we expect out of a chevy guy. Do they allow Ford powered Vettes at the Vette events you attend? How about senior citizens discount? Just kidding, I will be 57 in November and Ken Oikawa is 61. wt

Neal Jackson 05-23-1999 09:13 PM

Any newer members care to add to this post - tell us about your Cobra history?

Thanks!

Neal

Traveller 05-24-1999 09:34 AM

I'm 36, and just acquired a previously owned ERA 427 a few weeks ago.

I have been a roadster nut all my life with the Shelby Cobra naturally perched at the top of my wish list. In the past I have owned a Triumph Spitfire and a Mazda Miata, both affordable, fun to drive, however as pitifully inadequate in fulfilling the Cobra lust as methadone is to a smack junkie.

Like most folks, the dream of owning "The Car" always took a back seat to more pragmatic considerations. As someone so aptly stated on this thread, we have a way of forgetting our dreams and mine was pushed back to the corner of my thoughts, resurrected on odd occasions when a rare Cobra sighting would stir me to proclaim; "HEY Honey, LOOK!, there goes my dream car!". To which my wife would comment to the effect; “that’s nice dear, are you going to help me plant Azaleas this weekend?”. POOF!, just that fast, as quick as the striped predator itself, the dream retreated back into its cubby hole, replaced by the more pedestrian issues of life.

Starting a few months ago, I began contemplating the trade in of my 95 Buick Riviera. The only new car that had a suitable combination of style, performance and price was the C5 Corvette. With lackluster support from my wife, I plunked down a $750 deposit and ordered a 6 speed coupe.

On the eve of the vette’s delivery, I was net surfing for car reviews when the search engine popped up an obscure hit on a Car and Driver review of the 1963 Shelby Cobra. I immediately changed the search parameters from 1999 Corvette to 427 Shelby Cobra. The dream, again finding its way into my conscious thoughts. After hopping through a few links I find myself in the Cobra Country’s for sale by owner page.

I began to re-think my position. I was going to get squat for my trade-in, and put down $45 “Large” for a new vette. Thus I began to rationalize . Even the most exotic car, driven daily, soon becomes just transportation and in time the vette would be no different. Practical? Please. And what’s wrong with the Riv? It’s a great car, capable of racking up 200k miles without a whimper or complaint. All of a sudden, the dream inched closer to attainability. And wonder of wonders, THE WIFE REALLY LIKED THE IDEA!

A few phone calls, some creative financing and two trips to Dallas later, I have a Cobra, PARKED IN MY GARAGE!! SOMEBODY PINCH ME!

[This message has been edited by Traveller (edited 05-24-99).]

Anthony 05-24-1999 11:13 AM

I'm 34, and have wanted a cobra for A VERY LONG TIME. When I was 15, I wasn't interestd in cars at all, after all, they were only for transportation. I can remember a single conversation with my dad and some of his friends, one of whom worked in a GM assembly plant, about the high perf cars of the 60's, specifically the Daytona's and Superbirds. I couldn't believe cars like this were made. This single conversation sparked my interest into cars, and soon after that I was buying car magazines investigating automotive hi-perf history. I realized I was born 25 years too late. It didn't take long for me to determine that the car I wanted was a 427 cobra. As a highschool kid, I obviously couldn't afford one of these, so I did the next best thing, I bought a cheaper muscle car, my first car, a 65 442 conv. 4 spd, in pretty nice shape for $1000. I have alot of good memories with that car. I had the fastest car in school. I still have the car. I still didn't have my cobra, but I wanted something still faster, so I found a 1970 Mach 1 428 SCJ 4 spd which I quickly purchased from a guy who needed the money for his marriage. I don't know if he is still married, but I still have the car. Finally, I wanted a car to race, to have fun with, and not for just cruising or for car shows, but I didn't want to race the 442 or 428, as these had the original engines, so I bought a 1970 440 Roadrunner(non-original engine), which I've since dragged only several times, and I still have the car. Finally, with a real job, I think I can afford a cobra, but I can't bring myself to sell any of the other cars, although my dad wants me to get rid of the 442 and Roadrunner, as they are at his home, taking up his space. My family is also sick of me talking about cobra's non-stop for the last 2 years, and I'm sure they will get some relief once I purchase my car, hopefully very soon. I've already bought an enclosed car trailer and my engine, both at my dad's, Ha Ha Ha..

I hope I will have a lot of fun with my cobra, spending time with my dad, meeting new people with similar interests, ENJOYING LIFE. My cobra will be not just for cruising or car shows, but also for some racing, both drag and road racing. I'm sure glad I live in the US.

Hank Dondero 05-24-1999 12:14 PM

I'm 53 going on 23!! i just today discussed my plans for the Cobra with my wife. She understood. Of course the suttle hims of pubs in my office and on my desk plowed the road a bit. I first saw a Cobra back in '68. Corvettes of Mass. ran Autocrosses in the parking lot at Salisbury Beach, MA. (don't snicker-back stretch of 1/4 produced some sweet speeds). I used to run my triumph Spitfire with the funny swing axle set up in the back. Fun by not effective. Well 31 years later its happenin! 14 year old son will be a part of this also. Oh yea, 1955 chevy, 265, 1965 Chevelle-327,350HP. Now a Ford guy with Cobra etched in my brain. Thanks for this opportunity to mention all this.
Hank

James Baldwin 05-25-1999 06:42 AM

I just turned 30 and have tried for 8 years to build a car.

5 years ago I made a promise to myself that regardless what happened in the future, I would have the car started by the time I turned 30. Try explaining that to a new wife as one of the conditions to getting married... I am not sure if she just loved me enough not to say "no" or if it was the fact she saw how many GUYS look at the car at every turn (hence, she may be driving the car more than me)...Luckily I have a great wife.

As with most things, the longer you wait, the more you learn. I must say, though I normally have the patience of a 10 year old, I am glad I have waited until everything was was in place.

Collecting a piece here and there while waiting for my ERA to be produced, I should have it finished by the years end.