21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-1999, 03:11 PM
Scott S
Visit my Photo Gallery

A question from my wife. Is building and owning Cobras an adult thing or just a mid-life crisis kind of thing?

I'm 40, how about the rest of you?

[This message has been edited by Scott S (edited 02-11-99).]
Old 02-11-1999, 03:19 PM
Jeff Towne
Visit my Photo Gallery

I'm 32 and have been planning my cobra build since my late 20's.
I think that the reason many of the cobra owners are over 40 is the cost of building/buying a cobra. Until Factory Five came along it usually took at least 25K to complete a cobra. Between working up the corp ladder and raising kids it's awful hard to come up with that kind of disposable income, as well as the total impracticality of a 2 seat open roadster.

jeff
Old 02-11-1999, 03:37 PM
wtcobra
Visit my Photo Gallery

Scott, I'm 56 and have been working on my Cobra since 1991. Jeff do you think that FFR is less expensive to build than say a Shell Valley, Classic Roadster or any number of cars using live axle rearends and a small block. I know when I searched in 1991, there were a number of companies that were selling reasonably priced cars, they just did not have IRS suspensions,etc. WT
Old 02-11-1999, 06:01 PM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

[This message has been edited by Neal Jackson (edited 12-31-2000).]
Old 02-11-1999, 06:19 PM
Brent Mills
Visit my Photo Gallery

My dad and I always wanted one, but when it comes to cars, making a decision is not something he's good at. He's got a 66 1/2 Mustang convertible he's been telling me he'd restore since 1977. It was the first sport utility vehicle in the world, as he regularily hauled kids & baseball gear to games when I was younger, and today it still gets him back and forth to work, and the garbage to the dump.....Yeeesh!

Anyway, I'm 28 and fulfilled our dream by purchasing a descent car for a great price in October of 98. What a blast!!!!

Brent Mills
Club Cobra
Old 02-11-1999, 08:12 PM
Art Colley
Visit my Photo Gallery

Gee Wiz...

I think I need to go find some older company! You young guys are doing what I forgot to do at that age. Good for you! I am 54, going on 30, kids are grown, and I recently came to grips with the concept of mortality. Brent knows this, but in '95, I had open heart surgery, and thru a long series of errors, a drug reaction cost me my left leg, and a lot of other damages.
For many years, I have done volunteer work for various organizations, some I have refered to in posts. In the last ten years, I have been involved a little with Jaguars. Cobras? Well, being an original Shelby fan in real time in the '60's, I have always wamted a Cobra. The ultimate expression of individualism and the driving experience. Interestingly, I had only seen one Cobra in my life, was generally unaware of the kit business, and had forgotten about ever owing a Cobra. After I got out of the hospital, I saw my second Cobra, when a friend who brokers Porches brought me one to see that was "left over" from a multi car deal he had done. He had no use for it, so he told me to take it, and I could name the terms later. That's how it happened! Sometimes it is just meant to be. Since then... well you know the general gist of my posts, and what the car has meant to me, and the others that share it.

My thanks to Brent for a web home, and to Carroll for the memories.

Regards, Art.
Old 02-12-1999, 02:26 AM
John McMahon
Visit my Photo Gallery

Scott,

I'll be 40 in May. Yes and no about the mid life thing. I have always been into cars and if I was not, I'd be living in a huge mansion based on the money I would have saved from avoiding cars, but that's not the case.

I was previously a Chevy man owning three Camaros. I then researched Corvettes and realized that too many were fakes and I was not going to get burned on a '67 TriPower Vette that was a fake. It was extremely difficult for me to change my allegiance to Ford, but I'm glad I did. I still love Chevys and all makes of cars.

It was back in 1995 I decided to get a Cobra. I was going through a divorce, I had to sell my 69 Indy Pace Car Camaro to consolidate my debt. I then said, when the smoke clears, I'm getting a Cobra. I bought a pre built Unique in 1997, rebuilt it in 1998 and I'm selling it in 1999 to build my new Cobra, a 289 FIA.

I agree with the general consensus, it's a love for the car and the need to wait to get the bucks. I am fairly good at creative financing and put together the deal on my first Cobra in about 3 weeks. I must be good, because I am now financing TWO Cobras.

So, Scott, mostly its an adult thing because most folks need to free up the time and money which doesn't happen for many before age 35 to 40.

John

Old 02-12-1999, 05:07 AM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

Old 02-12-1999, 06:22 AM
Matt M FFR 1502
Visit my Photo Gallery

I'm 52 years young. Seems like the age is all over the place. That is what I really liked about bracket racing. 60 year old rich guys, 18 year old kids, B-52 pilots, transmission repairmen, all coming together with a common interest!
Old 02-12-1999, 09:17 AM
Dave Castine
Visit my Photo Gallery

I agree - it's both. Most of us "Dad" types that were (are) car guys usually have to put our dreams and desires on the back burner for a few years while were growing the family. I'll be 40 in August. We started our family in our early 20's and are starting to free up some time and $$ now. Our GT Convertible will turn into a Cobra once the back seat is not needed as much. FFR and Burtis' new F8 cars head my list - hope to be a Cobra owner soon. In the meantime, I'll just sit back and keep listening and taking notes - thanks !!

Dave - Wakefield, MA
Old 02-12-1999, 11:17 AM
Stan Mitchell
Visit my Photo Gallery

I'm 39 years old & have wanted a Cobra for over 10 years (saving my pennies for a while).I'm awaiting delivery on Sunday for my new Superformance Cobra. The anticipation is killing me. It'll be in the garage for a while waiting for me to finish with motor & transmission. I guess I'll just have to get a fan to simulate the wind in my face effect until I get it going, but that's half the fun.
Old 02-12-1999, 03:45 PM
DAVID GAGNARD
Visit my Photo Gallery

I'AM 43 AND FELL IN LOVE WITH COBRA'S WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER AND THERE WERE TWO IN THE SMALL TOWN OF 5000 PEOPLE WHERE I LIVE. I ALWAYS WANTED ONE AND AM WORKING ON THE BOSS TO LET ME GET A KIT. I WISH I HAD DONE IT SOONER BUT REALLY CAN ONLY AFFORD IT NOW. NOT TO MANY YOUNGER PEOPLE HAVE THE MEANS ARE THE EXPEIRENCE TO BUILD A KIT, MAYBE THAT IS WHY MOST ARE OLDER. GREAT SITE YOU HAVE HERE.
D G
Old 02-13-1999, 03:20 PM
Steve D
Visit my Photo Gallery

Scott, First of all great thread! a lot of really good stories! I am 37, I started researching cobras about two years ago and one of the first books that I got was Curt Scotts book on cobra manufacturers, don't worry I know your not Curt Scott, since I already had a 1987 mustang 5.0 and couldn't afford to spend 30k plus it limited my options. I went with the factory five because it seemed to offer the most bang for the buck. I ordered the kit and then my wife and I found out that she was pregnant. For most that would be the end of the story, but I guess I married well, my wife said come hell or high water you are getting the car! How great is that! So now everyone asks me which will come first the cobra or the baby, well as of right now it's to close to call, my wife is due the end of March and the cobra is about 70% complete. I wish everyone sunny days and straight, or curvy roads, whichever your in the mood for! Steve D.
Old 02-13-1999, 05:38 PM
Scott S
Visit my Photo Gallery

The stories have been great! I started with my little brother planning a Cobra project about 5 years ago, with the Classics bunch out of Florida. We planned to build one together until he killed himself about a yea r and a half ago in a 94 Mustang Cobra. The FFR kits came along and I just could'nt part a mustang out in my driveway(the tow company stored my brothers car about 2 blocks from my house for 2 weeks).

I wish things were different but life goes on. My boys and I drove about 30 miles today in the car with no paint and ugly, God was it Sweet. Oregon allowed me a specialty plate with that name, SWEET.

Thanks to all, give your honey's a hug , don't forget the flowers.
Old 02-16-1999, 05:59 AM
Ozgur Tan
Visit my Photo Gallery

i finish my first cobra replica 5 year ago when i was 26 years old.
Old 02-18-1999, 04:07 PM
Barry Nealis
Visit my Photo Gallery

I just turned 45 (2/16). I started my project Oct 97. I'll be on the road next month. When I was 13 or 14 years old, a cobra passed our school bus like it was standing still. I've wanted a sports car ever since. 30 years later I'm finally there!
Old 02-21-1999, 11:02 AM
PaulJudie
Visit my Photo Gallery

This is a great forum. Paul hates the computer - he is in the garage working on what else but our Cobra replicar. No it was not middle age that made us do it - even though it ocurred at that time. Paul had always talked about a Cobra and we both loved cars. I sold my mini-van for a business deal that fell through. Well it was either invest the money or Paul had his chance to build his dream. We started our Cobra in 1992 and had it "on the road" in Aug 96. Kids were almost gone and I was working full time. My paycheck paid for this Cobra. Funny thing though - it ended up costing us almost double what we estimated. In order to do that you guys have to have a wife that likes standing around a garage, street rods & Cobras as much as you do. Together with great friends in our club we attend all the local Street Rod shows that we can. Our Rodtiques Club has our Blossom Run (3 day show & shine, camping included, valley tours, dance, activities for the kids etc.) coming up May 21 - 24.
E-Mail me if you are interested in coming or attending. Paul is incharge of registration - BUT not knowing how to use the computer guess who is doing registration!

Old 02-21-1999, 05:21 PM
petek
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hello everyone! I'm new here and thought I'd chime in on the thread.

I'm 42 but started on my Cobra when I was 35. Not a mid-life crisis thing, more like a potential business activity when my wife, kids, and I retired from the rat-race in the Silicon Valley. The business part of the thing fell through quickly (CRL... need I say more).

Still, I'm having a blast and can't wait to finish the car. One thing that I wonder ... will I miss the building when I'm driving? Perhaps I ought to start looking for a GT40 kit

petek
http://www.tfs.net/~petek/cobra
Old 02-21-1999, 06:11 PM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

Old 02-22-1999, 05:48 PM
PaulJudie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neal - No "the valley" is the Okanagan Valley in Southern British Columbia. We live 40 miles north of the Canada/US border and 250 miles east of Vancouver in a fruit & grape growing area. Hot summer tourist area - great place to drive up and down the beaches in the Cobra!

Judie