Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Average Age? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/5723-average-age.html)

Lincoln 09-29-1999 04:14 AM

Saw the first one at Tallakson Ford in the 'U' district in Seattle. I had just bought a new '67 Mustang coupe. The money for those cars seemed like a lot then, I mean 7 grand was a lot of hours of trucking. I had the desire, without the funding, as like many of you, kids and houses took the bulk of the bucks.
I had brief fling with a new '68 Cobra Jet Stang and raced a 7 Liter until '72 when an NHRA rule change, ruined the Super Stock class. With bracket racing left, to compete in, I bailed. I bought a sail boat and got into 4 wheel drives with a '55 Willys pick-up, powerd with a Ford 6. The Ford got a trailer hitch and the pick-up became the toy of choice. I migrated to Toyota Land Cruiser pick-ups and still have one in the garage today. I had as many as 5 at one time and did all the rebuild and chevvy V-8 stuff one would expect. About this time, I was sitting around the fire station, reading a new magazine and 'BANG', there was that car again and it was called a kit.
Well anyone who knows, knows that Firefighters have great schedules but not a lot of $$$$$$. So the kit theme appealed to me and I began my quest for the right car. I believed that going to the plant and seeing the car you wanted was important. As a result I took a few years to get around to the places I wanted to check them out. Enter my lovely wife, Sally Jo.
Sal talked me into pulling the pin and moving back to Oregon, where I had grown up. So in '88 we moved back here and are now sitting on 25 acres with our kids, horses, cattle, and soon to be done, 4 bay shop, complete with reloading room and car lift.
Meanwhile, we took the kids to Disneyland in '95 during Christmas break, and she had a bit of a surprise for me. It seems that LA Exotics had a spot very close to Knott's Berry, and she wanted to see this Cobra thing; I was raving about. They got her out in a red 427 and the first thing she said, when she got back was,"We're gettin one of those!" At that SHE pulled out the checkbook and did a deposit. I got to pick the color. Talk about major role reversal! I knew I needed to sieze control, NOW! Thank you very much dear, I appreciate you letting me choose the drive train stuff. We got a roller and picked it up in Oct. of '96. Bob Hubler, (some of you remember what Cosby said about all mechanics named 'Bob') is a local engine builder who does a lot of roundy -roundy and drag stuff. He put together a 351w with 351c heads and tried to get it at about 400hp, as the car is a driver but we wanted a different approach with the 'LOOK'. We put a 4 speed out of a mustang in her and as of today, we're chipping away at little stuff like carpet install, door panels, e-brake, cleaning etc. It has a soft top and the wipers are just coming on line, Oregon has already had it's week of sun, and since we missed it, we need wipers. I'm lucky to have an 'A' code '66 mustang coupe as a driver, but not to worry, I've got my own set of keys and she does go to work.
Actually the car was as much her idea as mine. You see, we have 6 kids and she wanted a car that a kid could't fit in, no back seat, in fact just enough room for us and an over night bag.
We're down to three kids left at home and cruising is on our agenda. One of our first cruises, is to cruise over to eastern Oregon to look at a Cobra, which is for sale. It seems that Sally Jo really wanted a green one and the one for sale could be painted.
Eat your hearts out guys, I get guns, reloaders, tools, and really neat stuff on X-mas and birthdays too!
Life has been very good, to this 53 year old, grey haired, but FAST, man.

Daren Cave 09-29-1999 05:44 AM

34 years old and have wanted a cobra for as long as i can remember-it was truly love at first sight. I hope to take delivery of my new Superformance cobra within the next two weeks. My grandfather helped start a Ford dealership here in our small town many years ago, so have been a "ford-guy" all my life. Can't wait to get behind the wheel! DC

hiwave 09-29-1999 08:02 AM

Im 32 going on 21. i have never felt any older than 21 and loving life having built my first 67 427 in 2 months, so can see i have no life besides the cobra.
have love the 427 look because when i was 14 a red one pass me loved the sound

[This message has been edited by hiwave (edited 02-18-2000).]

lonewade 10-06-1999 08:58 AM

built my first everette morrison at age 37. now in the process of my second everette morrison at age 42.

Neal Jackson 10-18-1999 08:29 PM

Thought I'd bring this back to the top of page 1.

Any newer members care to contribute?

Thanks!
Neal

clay fugate 10-19-1999 01:15 AM

IM 37 AND WAS BITTEN IN THE LATE 70S WHEN I BOUGHT MY FIRST MUSTANG, A 1968 COUPE. SINCE THEN I'VE RESTORED SEVERAL MUSCLE CARS FROM THAT SAME ERA. NOW PLANNING ON BEING ON THE ROAD AGAIN IN THE SPRING.

Dick Johnson 10-19-1999 02:27 AM

54 and never to young...decided I was bored... I've been driving my cobra for about 6 years so ... Enzo, Ed Eveld and myself bought GT 40 kits... their ERA's are in production and mine is rolling. I put a 351/427 stroker with Webers. I think they decided to use that new Fontana block... its supposed to be awsome! Now... what are we going to do with three cobras and three GT 40s ... build a bigger garage!! What else !!

ramso 10-21-1999 04:42 AM

I'm 38 and started on mine when I was 34. Let's face it we're all in a mid life crisis, but who cares!

Andy Barwick 10-21-1999 01:46 PM

I'm 37, and have been a Cobra nut since I read a Cobra magazine article in 1986, I have been totally biased towards 289's for the last 4 years.

Andy (alias Andy FIA)

gsharapa 10-21-1999 03:57 PM

Been into cars since 15 in mid 60s now 47 and come full circle. Had Mustangs, Boss 302s, 351, 429s, Pantera, Street Rods, Vettes, and now my second Cobra in last 5 years. Once it's in your blood your hooked and guess it's better to be hooked on cars then some of the other vices. Work for the Big Blue Oval so that probably adds to it.
At least my wife knows where I am. In the Garage or the Cobra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meat 10-22-1999 04:25 AM

Wow, I keep seeing this thread, but I never respond to it. I guess I'd better rectify that now.

I'm Meat. I'm 34. I'm single, a scorpio, my turn-ons are most anything that involves Cobras, nudity, females, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, cheerleading uniforms, ducks, kitchen utensils, $1.00 bills and mints on the pillow...although not necessarily in that order.

As far as the mid-life thing, I was discussing the movie American Beauty the other day with a girl friend of mine, and she said "Honey, you've been going through a mid-life crisis every year since I've known you." I've known her for about 15 years, so I'm going to assume that I'm getting better at it.

Your pal,
Meat.

HYM810ANCE 10-22-1999 11:52 AM

To the best of my memory it all started when I was 5 yrs. old. My dad would sit me in his lap for hours and "we" would read his hot rod mags. After that, we spent most of our time together building one thing or another and from age 12 to 16 we built my first car, a '65 Mustang. We didn't have alot of money so it was everything but stock, but I loved it just the same. That
same year my dad scrapped up enough money to drive to Florida and pick up an EM body. It took us almost 8yrs. to complete it, due to him having bad health, but we did. Shortly after that it was totalled in an accident due to no fault of our own. The next year he went and bought 2 more kits, this time the more complete packages, and with the selling of one of those to a friend, he and I built his. My dad and I spent so many wonderful hours together working on these cars and talking shop, I wouldn't trade those memories for anything in the world. I believe that his love and admiration for this car and sharing that with me gave us a bond few people ever have. My dad passed away of cancer in June of '98 and unfortunely never got to drive this last car. You can be assured that it's not going anywhere.... I still have my '65 too. I have a feeling that I'm really going to enjoy being a part of this club 'cause you guys seem to have that same enthusiasm as I remember dad having.

Ginger
p.s. By the way, I'm 30 yrs. old and will always be a kid at heart when it comes to this.

Neal Jackson 10-22-1999 01:49 PM

I'm trying to picture Meat wearing a cheerleader uniform, driving a Cobra, with a nude rubber ducky in the passenger's seat!?

No, never mind - I don't want to picture that at all!! http://clubcobra.com/ubb/smile.gif LOL

Neal

Scott S 10-23-1999 02:56 PM

Okay its time to do the math again, looks like the average so far is 42.48 years.

What a fun thread, great stories with a little humanity and Meats and Neals humor.

Neal Jackson 11-18-1999 07:13 PM

It's been almost a month since this thread was at the top.

Any new members care to contribute?

Thanks!

LegoMan 11-18-1999 08:23 PM

I've read all of this thread before, but I never really contributed to it before, as I don't often post here.

However, I thought I'd just bring that average age done a few notches.

I think I might be the youngest member at the cobra forum and club cobra...at 19 years old. I have basically been interested in cars all of my life.
I worked a state park in Indiana where the Shelby Auto Club met once a year. There were all kinds of mustangs, etc., but there were also usually 10-15 cobras there each year. One guy that came every year actually had an
original 427. While I was browsing the parking lot during my break, I noticed that guy with the long mustache from My Classic Car. He was interviewing the owner of the original 427. The guy started the car and revved it a couple of times, then shut it off. After the interview was done, I walked up to the owner and asked him all about the car. After talking to the guy for about 20 minutes, he asked me what I had been waiting
and hoping to hear..."well son, have you ever taken a ride in an original cobra 427 before?
"...I ummmmm.... said no. He then got in the car and told me to hop in. I couldn't wait!
The ride was like nothing else I've ever experienced. The noise, smell, snapping of my
neck, and oh those hot feet you get from that engine!
Anyway, that's why I'm in the process of getting a FFR kit. Luckily I will have the help of my father over this coming summer to complete the project. Hopefully be next school year's beginning (I'm a sophomore mechanical engineer at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology), I'll be pullin' up in a black and silver 460 powered cobra.

Well, I hope the thread keeps going. There seems to be a lot of new members here and at the cobra forum.

P.S. What is the average age now? (I would calculate it, but I just got done taking 16 hours of final exams..)

Kyle

BRYAN 11-19-1999 02:51 PM

WELL SINCE MOST OF US ARE A BUNCH OF OLD FARTS THAT SEEM TO HAVE FOUND THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH BY DRIVING COBRAS WHAT DO WE DO FOR AN ENCORE???? MAYBE WE COULD JUST LIVE FOR ANOTHER 50????

BRYAN

Kirby Nelson 11-20-1999 03:08 AM

50 years old, kids out of college, understanding wife, so finally get to start on dream car project. Over the years have had Jags, Healeys, and MGs, '56 Chevy, etc. Was going to drop a 350 in a Healey 100-4, then started to research the Cobra thing. I wanted modern underpinnings, brakes, etc. Unique 289 on order, should be here around Christmas. As a friend of mine who has a 502" Donovan in his Healey says, "It's gotta have a V-8, a clutch, and no top". So what is the average age anyway?

HYM810ANCE 11-20-1999 02:54 PM

IN REPLY TO BRYAN....
One of the most important things my dad ever taught me was......

OLD AGE AND TRECHARY WILL OUT DO YOUTH AND EXUBERANCE ANYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GINGER

hands7 11-22-1999 05:53 AM

Hello everybody,
I'm 51. I just finished my car and am in the process of working the bugs out of it. This is a loooong term dream and mid life crisis. Since I have a conserative bent and not much money, I only built what and when I could afford it. My next project will go faster.(building time that is) I am not getting any younger you know. One of the best parts of this project was deciding which kit to buy. I was lucky and had the opportunity to work on several different manufacturers models before I plunked my money down. Another thing I enjoyed was finding the parts. Took for ever...got taken a couple of times...met a lot of good people in the process. My only regret is that I no longer have the coordination of an 18 year old kid. I will never see the max out of my ERA and that's a shame......But at 18 I could never have afforded it. See you at the drive-in!!!!