• 1 Post By Bernica

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Need 2 post lift recommend

I am planning to build a new shop for my Cobra. I want a 2 post lift in the shop. I have been looking at Bend-Pak, but want to know what is being used successfully. Since this is a new shop, I have no limit on ceiling height. What is everyone using for a lift, and how does it work for you?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIII #6046 SBF
Not Ranked     

This is the one I got a couple of years ago. It's still the same price I think. I got it delivered to my garage pad for $1750. It is very heavy and comes in one piece package so have a way to get it off the truck or prepare for a hernia. It would even work in a commercial garage (9000 lb capacity). I had a low ceiling so I had to add a tray ceiling to allow room for the roll bars and wind screen. I get a 68 inch lift but you would be about to do the whole 72 inches. This rig is definitely overkill for my Cobra or vette convertible which also will fit. It is perfect for my FFR roadster with a 4 inch ride height. Some unit's arms don't go low enough so check that. This will outlast me for sure. I like to say, "it's the best tool in the garage".

Auto Lift AL2-9K-FP 9,000 lb. Capacity Symmetric Two Post Car Lift

Good luck,

WEK.

Last edited by skullandbones; 10-05-2015 at 10:37 PM..
Old 10-06-2015, 04:28 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I went with Rotary. Purchased a used unit and had the hydraulics rebuilt.

Whatever you get, make sure you have the ceiling.

Tru
Old 10-06-2015, 05:38 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

More important than ceiling make sure you have enough thickness for the base and correct cement.

Mohawk makes a stout unit.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I bought a Atlas 8000 for nine foot ceilings this summer. I have 10' 4" ceiling.
I had it delivered to my brother's shop and used their forklift. Then we set it into my truck and I used my engine hoist to unload at my shop. It was easy to pick up the post with the engine lift and set them in place. I did the unloading and install by myself.
One thing I learned, a 5 1/2" wedge bolt with not work if the expanding ring is below the 4" slab. Messed up four and bought all new wedge bolts only to find out that I was installing them to deep for the expanding ring to work. I've installed thousands (I mean thousands) of anchor bolt in my career. Learn something new all the time.
I epoxy the four in with all thread rod.

Works great with a Cobra.
I should have bought a two post lift ten years ago!

I'm going to tray my ceiling this winter so I can lift truck the max lifting height.

Coach bought an Atlas 12' model in 2010 and it works great.
Jack just bought 12' unit and tray'ed his shop ceiling with no trouble.

Erik bought a 9' Atlas for the garage last spring. He is always building something. Right now it's a GTM

If you are going to change oil or work on your car at home you need a lift. I think we all paid less the $2000 for our lifts.

Last edited by Dwight; 10-06-2015 at 05:47 AM..
Old 10-06-2015, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

I rented a shop, and made a deal with the previous tenant and bought his big (unknown brand) 2 post lift. I love working on the underside with it 2" above my head, so my hair barely mops up the leaked oil. BUT, it's a pain in the a$$ getting the car up and on it. the pipes are too low to swing the arms in with the extension pads, but the frame is too much higher. I have to use a floor jack and lift the car 4" to swing the arms under the frame. When I lower it, I set it on 4 wood blocks and just drive off.

It may be more an issue with my car how I built the pipes low.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

Have Mohawk 9000 since 2004. It's a well made unit and have had zero problems. Big rollers like the mast on a forklift. Make sure you use the correct grade of bolts or Allthread if you supply your own, like in used unit, or you might have problems. Seen the results when correct bolts were used to mount crane to truck but low grade nuts were used. Nut threads pulled out like butter, it was not pretty. Manufacture would like 6" of concrete and new units have bolts that come with lift along with shims. Most areas have installers and service people who can be a resource for used unit, or install unit for you. Local company in my area had several used units Got to know them when they installed my lift. Mohawk has 5 year warranty if that is important to you.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks a bunch for all the helpful comments. Since the shop is a new build I can spec the floor thickness and concrete strength specifically for the lift. I will look at Atlas and Mohawk, as well as see if I can find any good used units locally.

You guys are helpful, thanks again.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:59 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
More important than ceiling make sure you have enough thickness for the base and correct cement.

Mohawk makes a stout unit.
For my own peace of mind, I would be saw cutting the slab at the anchoring locations. Around 18-24" square and then digging a footing and installing anchor bolts (J-bolts) in the footing along with some minimum 3,000 psi concrete. You can just use a piece of plywood as a template and drill holes to hold the anchor bolts in the correct position while pouring the mud.
Jaydee likes this.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

While you may be set on a 2 post lift, the Bend Pak full height scissor lift provides full access and height while not having two posts in your way when not used.

I have the SP-7X. A further advantage, since you are building new, is to build the scissor lift in flush with the floor. The drawback being that it lowers the effective lifting height. BendPak SP-7X Scissor Lift, 7,000 Lb. Capacity, Frame Engaging
Old 10-06-2015, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
For my own peace of mind, I would be saw cutting the slab at the anchoring locations. Around 18-24" square and then digging a footing and installing anchor bolts (J-bolts) in the footing along with some minimum 3,000 psi concrete. You can just use a piece of plywood as a template and drill holes to hold the anchor bolts in the correct position while pouring the mud.
Good thought. If I can get the template for the lift before I have the floor poured, it would be better to set the j-bolts than hammer drilling the holes.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
While you may be set on a 2 post lift, the Bend Pak full height scissor lift provides full access and height while not having two posts in your way when not used.

I have the SP-7X. A further advantage, since you are building new, is to build the scissor lift in flush with the floor. The drawback being that it lowers the effective lifting height. BendPak SP-7X Scissor Lift, 7,000 Lb. Capacity, Frame Engaging
Thanks. I had not considered this lift type, but I will check it out. It would be nice to not have the posts in the way.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBit View Post
Good thought. If I can get the template for the lift before I have the floor poured, it would be better to set the j-bolts than hammer drilling the holes.
Make your own template easily. Just put a piece of plywood under the base plate and mark the holes. Then drill the holes in the plywood and double-nut the anchor bolts to it. Drop it into the footing and suspend it with some 1/2 or 3/4" strips across the hole. Center and square it and pour the footing. Just measure, then measure again!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

I got a Molnar 2 poster and love it. But the ultimate is one without the base plate but an overhead joiner. What I plan to do with mine, so to make it less hassle to get the Cobra on and of. Is to install 4 rails across the arms, and have them lined up with the wheels. So I can just drive on and lift. I was thinking of using angle iron with the point sticking up so the smooth sides will rest against the tyres in front and back of the tyre. I'm making a large light weight frame hanging from the ceiling with the car cover strapped between it. So as the Cobra rises up, it will automatically go into the car cover. Will also avoid scratches, not having to drag the cover of the car.
My hoist is hydraulic. But I think most are screw thread now. I'm not sure which one I prefer?
JD

Tags
garage, lift, shop