Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2005, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superperformance, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default shifter boot

I just replaced the original torn shifter boot on my SPF with one from Finish Line. It's too stiff (thick?) and pulls the tko into neutral from 2nd, 4th and reverse when not under load. Any ideas how to soften it? Boil it?

Bill
Old 04-15-2005, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superperformance, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Am I the only one that has expierenced this problem? Other suppliers besides finish line?

Thanks, Bill
Old 04-15-2005, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

I experienced the same problem, I attributed it to the cold temps in my garage because once the car was out in the sun for a while it softened up. Mine only popped out of 4th gear on a Tremec 3550 5 speed.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I still have the same problem with Finish Line shifter boot. It pulls the tranny out of 3rd gear into neutral whenever you lift off the gas. I loosened the boot and retightened it while it was in 3rd gear, but that did not help.

Anyone have any cures?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

Bill, mine on my SPF cracked and I ordered another one from Superformance. Got it 3 days later and it fits like a glove.

Mark
Old 06-21-2005, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yea
Talk to Enzo.

Not trying to be smarta- - but I feel he would know how to soften the leather up.

I use saddle soap on mine and then a good parts store (no name brand) leather conditioner. It was soft as butter when I was done. So did the same thing to the seats. It will also help the leather to last longer.

I even use the leather conditioner on my F250 seats.

I would be sure they are clean first. If the boot is new then you should just be able to put on the conditioner. I think I spent abour $6.50 on the whole bottle. If I remember right I got it at Reiles auto parts, a local auto parts store in Texas.

Smells good to.

Last edited by 4RE KLR; 06-21-2005 at 12:20 PM..
Old 06-21-2005, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

If original spec interior, they're rubber...................

Bud
Old 06-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Goober

I just talked with Finish Line and they said they would deduct the price of the shifter boot off my next order and I did not have to send it back. Nice response. I also suggested they talk with supplier and get them to make it from a more pliable rubber or a little thinner, and they agreed.

But you said you purchased one from Superformance. I just contacted my dealer (Snakepit in NY) and they said they get them from Finish Line.

Who/where did you order it from? Your rep? Are you sure it came from South Africa originally?

Thanks
Old 06-22-2005, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobra Valley have a very nice one in Leather, have both upright and slanted version, only $29
Old 06-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey I have the same problem with the new rubber boot I bought also! 2nd gear, all others are OK.

...and I thought it was only me! Dam, I'm not sure another new boot will help if there all the same. I tend to "hold" 2nd gear unless I'm accellerating or decellarating. In between it ease's out of 2nd. I unscrewed the boot and the trans is fine!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Warren, mine did not come from finishline. It came from SPF's main headquarters in Virginia. Are we talking about the stepped rubber round boot? That's the only ones I seen on SPF's. I called SPF in New Orleans and talked to Ken or Doug and they ordered it for me. TIP- You do not have to stretch these boots over the fake lockout bar. Remove the gear shift and inside the handle insert a allen wrench and loosen the set screw and then slide out the fake lockout handle. Now you have a slick round stick to put the boot over.
Hope this helps

Mark
Old 06-22-2005, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Meant to say 'remove the shifter ball' and inside the handle is the allen screw. Don't mess with the handle itself.
Mark
Old 06-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark
I think I'll call another rep. The guy from Snakepit just buys them from Finish Line. I guess I'll call Olthoff Racing. Yes, the Finish Line is the same shape and size as the original. Thanks for feedback. I do not have any problems any more with that darn original shifter stabbing me in the hand. I bought one of the Jordan shifters from Second Strike. Shorter shifts and feels much better. I also bought the door knee pad cuz I'm 5 ft 18 inches. That knee pad is as good as it gets. I can go another 50 miles without having to stop and stretch my legs. Hell, I even bought the chrome fan covers - sure improvement over the crummy looking stock fan motors.

Excalibur - loosening the boot is not an option for me. Its hot enough in stop and go traffic in the MA summers without adding to the heat. But if I lived in HI it might be different.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My shifter boot problems have been fixed …

I talked with Doug Reed, the SPF dealer in Louisiana. He said there were some SPF shifter boots coming on a freighter from South Africa in about 2 weeks, and I should call him then. Doug also mentioned that the problem could be caused by loose motor mounts, the shifter touching the tunnel and/or the tranny itself. Checked out his suggestions … motor rock steady when loading it by releasing the clutch while standing on the brake … no interference between shifter and hole in tunnel … and with the boot removed, NO problem with the tranny slipping out of gear. But later in the day he called me back and told me that he called Walt (SPF guy in Virginia) and he mentioned that I could get a “Sunbeam Tiger” shifter boot quickly from a place in CA (408-371-1642). Just to make sure it looked like the Cobra boot, I found their web site and it looked OK. So I called and ordered one and got it in a couple of days.

It was their part number IP53T.

Click here for the Sunbeam boot
and select - Shifter Boot, Tiger

Put it on …. Success! No more problems.

Because the Cobra “style” boot fits a lot of cars (Mustangs, Sunbeams, etc) I’m sure there are quite a few boot manufacturers, and tons of places to buy them.

Thanks to:
1) Finish Line who said they would credit me the on my next order for the boot.
2) Doug Reed
3) Everyone who gave me suggestions on this thread

I took a picture of the two shifter boots. I cleaned the Sunbeam boot after taking the picture. The surface finish along the parting line was OK but a little dull after cleaning, but not a big deal. Note the difference between the heights of the boots.

My suggestion to anyone that has problems with the tranny popping out of gear is to first make sure it’s the boot that is the problem by driving it without the boot. If the problem goes away, get a new shifter boot from your Cobra manufacturer (SPF, ERA, FFR, etc) or try the Sunbeam Tiger version I got from Sunbeam Specialties.

P.S. to Mark - thanks for tip on boot installation, but had already changed out the stock shifter with those fake lock out bar that hurt me many times. I put in the Jordan shifter ... much better, no lockout bar, easier to shift, less missed shifts (who, me?) blah, blah ...
Attached Images

Last edited by wtm442; 07-15-2005 at 07:21 PM..
Old 07-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

ford sells the boots too. however, i replaced mine from my spf dealer's inventory . but then i bought a leather boot to put over it. looks better and if the rubber boot tears again, it wont show. bill
Old 07-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Man thats a great tip, surely "we" arent the only ones haveing a "shift boot causes slipping out of 2nd gear on decelleration" problem. And I don't even have an SPF!

NO DOUBT it's my shift boot, take off the chrome ring and let the boot relax, no problem. Tiger boot coming up.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Slick

Hope it solves your problem, but do not blame me if it does not. Here is another pic showing the bottom side. Notice six holes, so it must be used with different "chrome rings" on other cars.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good point Warren, will the original 4 hole chrome ring fit on the 6 hole Tiger unit?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Yes same diameter. Been there done that and thought it was only me that had the problem with my POS.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:07 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Slick

Yes, the 4 hole Cobra chrome ring fits with NO problem on the Sunbeam boot. I should have said in my last post ..... there are six holes, so it also can be used with different "chrome rings" on other cars.