Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2001 SPF, Sold =(
Not Ranked     
Default Video camera mount

I did some searching and found a cool roll bar camera mount. Now, if it would only stop raining here so I can go test it out! Here it is if anyone else is interested.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/t...lbar-cam-mount

On my car, and waiting for dry weather!

View from the camera....
Old 03-20-2007, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1492, Roush 402R (Sold)
Not Ranked     

Powershift, make sure you put an external mic in your seat or you will get wind noise. Lots of fun with those mounts....

Enjoy,

James
Old 03-20-2007, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yea, I was wondering if wind noise would be a major issue. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

You do not want ANY wind noise. Put the remote mic in the glove box, or on the floor of the passenger side. You should try different places because you want to hear the sweet engine noise!

I bought a Sticky Pod mount for my digital camera that takes OK movies. You can get by with one suction cup (about $10) and mount it to the dash next to the rear view mirror.

One of these days I'll spring for a camcorder, but for now the $250 Nikon will do OK.

More info and some videos on this thread
Video of Yesterdays Ride

Last edited by wtm442; 03-20-2007 at 08:34 PM..
Old 03-21-2007, 03:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Warren,

Make sure to get a really good camera that takes wide angle pictures so when you are telling the police that some car ran you off the road they will have a picture of the car. Also make sure that it doesn't include your speedometer in the picture.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-21-2007, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I got one of those camera mounts for track days and it works fine. Unfortunately, my camera doesn't have an external microphone jack and the wind noise is a problem.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-21-2007, 04:08 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61
Also make sure that it doesn't include your speedometer in the picture. Ron

With the backwards operating Smith speedo, the faster I go, it looks like I'm going slower to someone that does not know its backwards!

Its about time, but my ship finally came in.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2007, 04:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice ship. Does it have any Cobra kits in all of those containers? Maybe in you area of the country Snowmobiles would be more practical. However with Global warming now becoming a major problem, maybe containers of ice would be more useful.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-21-2007, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Last edited by rob frink; 12-30-2010 at 06:48 AM..
Old 03-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61
Make sure to get a really good camera that takes wide angle pictures so when you are telling the police that some car ran you off the road they will have a picture of the car. Also make sure that it doesn't include your speedometer in the picture.

Ron
I'm forming an opinion that Ron has personal experiences to relate to on the subject matter...

-Dean
Old 03-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

The identical video mount from I/O Port Racing Supplies, with the same price, and some options. Be aware the SCCA and other track organizations require a safety strap:

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...gory_Code=IOPP

Includes suggestions on obtaining a good video
Old 03-21-2007, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wammy
Powershift, make sure you put an external mic in your seat or you will get wind noise. Lots of fun with those mounts....

Enjoy,

James
I was bummed to find my Sony video camera I love so much does NOT have an external mic port! I had no idea until I read your post. I mounted the camera on the base and went out for a quick test drive this morning anyway. Wow, were you right. First gear sounded and looked great. But, by the time my car was half way through second gear the wind noise was terrible. So bad you could hardly even hear the side pipes! The pic was AWESOME though. Guess I'll be shopping for a new vid camera soon.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Rob- great fab work !
Old 03-21-2007, 11:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Wammy (James).... is THIS the kinda wind noise you were talking about! Ha haaa!!! Yea... need to work on that issue next.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/5...f900009d2c.htm
Old 03-22-2007, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

I can make my own camera mount, but I can't figure out how to do the video right. Right now, I have to use a large memory card, video on card mode, then load the card in my regular picture camera to get it on my PC. And using the card mode, the video won't be very long. I wish I knew how to video on tape mode and then download that to my PC from the camcorder.

I can build 1000hp cars but I can't figure out these darn electronic devices .

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 03-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None at this time sold the last one
Not Ranked     

I just ordered the camera mount and ordered a video camera, can't wait to video the next session at the track.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Sal- I don't know if you have the same problem I had but.....?
I borrowed a camcorder from where my wife is employed. I set the camera on my work bench, pointed it towards my cobra in the garage, turned it on, sat in the car, fired it up (loved the echo & cold engine sound) warmed it up, handed my wife the camera sitting in the passenger seat, drove a few blocks to the highway, did a cool burn out, launched the car & it sounded fantastic. When we got home, all that was tapped was in the garage and when backing into the street, NOTHING ELSE ! I tried three times with the same results. I was furious. When reading the "problems" section in the manual, this camcorder has two selections for battery life. You can have it turn OFF if not in use for 5 min. to save the battery charge or on all the time. It was in the ON the selection. Once I turned it OFF, it was just fine but, by that time, my wife had to return it. Bummer !
Oh well, now I know what happened. We'll get it again in May, were taking a cruise to Alaska. I'll attempt to tape the cobra again at that time.
Check your camcorder and see if you have the same problem ?

Kev
Old 03-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Kev, not sure, but if handheld while in the auto is in motion , the stabilization software/hardware feature might have prevented a recording. Can the feature manually be disabled ?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2
Hey Sal- I don't know if you have the same problem I had but.....?
I borrowed a camcorder from where my wife is employed. I set the camera on my work bench, pointed it towards my cobra in the garage, turned it on, sat in the car, fired it up (loved the echo & cold engine sound) warmed it up, handed my wife the camera sitting in the passenger seat, drove a few blocks to the highway, did a cool burn out, launched the car & it sounded fantastic. When we got home, all that was tapped was in the garage and when backing into the street, NOTHING ELSE ! I tried three times with the same results. I was furious. When reading the "problems" section in the manual, this camcorder has two selections for battery life. You can have it turn OFF if not in use for 5 min. to save the battery charge or on all the time. It was in the ON the selection. Once I turned it OFF, it was just fine but, by that time, my wife had to return it. Bummer !
Oh well, now I know what happened. We'll get it again in May, were taking a cruise to Alaska. I'll attempt to tape the cobra again at that time.
Check your camcorder and see if you have the same problem ?

Kev
Thanks for the heads up Kev. My short vid issue is just the size of my card. The biggest one I have is just 128mb. I imagine I could take a longer video with a bigger card.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don- in my case, I don't think so. I thought about that myself so, I shook the camcorder while recording and it ran fine. Gave me a dizzy headache watching it thought ! lol

Sal- the size of card makes a difference. Like with my camera, the card was small and would only take about 15 photo's. I bought a new card, (the only one they had for my year of camera) and now it can handle 1,000 photo's !
Think that will be enough for our cruise to Alaska ?