12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     
Talking Video of Yesterdays Ride

Do you believe this weather? I had 15 rides in November, and 5 rides so far in December. I took this video yesterday ... had to take it easy cuz the roads were still wet in some areas.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Warren do you have a heater in the old silver streak. You might not have to put it to bed this winter?!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Looks familiar! I had a place in Quincy for a year... what's the name of that road/park section? I remember getting pulled over on New Year's Day blasting around in my then "new" Mustang GT...
Old 12-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Mickmate - heater? What is that? I just wear a heavy jacket and a good hat. Right now I'm wearing a Santa hat which is super warm. Also have a nice pair of insulated gloves with grippy palms so grabbing the wheel is easy. Tomorrow supposed to be cloudy, but Sunday forecast looks good for another ride.

Jay - I live in Squantum which is off Wollaston Beach. The video was taken on Chickatawbut road which goes thru the Blue Hills section of Quincy and Milton. Its one of the best windy roads with no crossroads (other than a few intersections), so its good for a few blasts up to 100 and back in short order. The road starts by the Furnace Brook rotary by the highway (93) and goes all the way to Canton.

It was about 55 ºF yesterday and the engine really loves the cold air ... but it does take a long time to warm up the water and oil since the oil cooler works great. The roads were still a little wet in some areas (as you probably could see), but I took it easy on those parts.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

A yes, the Blue Hills... that is where I was pulled over. Though he let me off with a warning. I recall the Blue Hills in the news for some other activities like in the movie Something About Mary?
Old 12-16-2006, 06:06 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

that's neat, Warren! good job... I 'worried' about you coming around that guardrail and slippin' and slidin'!!!!
this new feature of imbedding the video's is pretty neat.
K
Old 12-16-2006, 06:27 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Too cold for my taste. I like to enjoy the ride, not have to have the ice removed from my face.

Very good, when did you get a camera mount? Did you make it? What kind of Camera did you use? What did you use to down load it?

Very nice!!!!
Old 12-16-2006, 06:44 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin
Very good, when did you get a camera mount? Did you make it? What kind of Camera did you use? What did you use to down load it?
Interested as well...
Old 12-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got a "My Sticky Pod". It will allow you to attach a camera anywhere on a car.

For that video, I just used one suction cup threaded directly into the bottom thread of the camera. Then just stuck it to the dashboard, just to the left of the rear view mirror.

http://www.stickypod.com/osc/product...products_id=37

The suction cup is only $9, but I bought the whole kit. I want to try taking some shots from down low on the outside, but there probably will be a lot of wind noise, rather than engine noise.

I used my Nikon Coolpix 9600 camera. It takes good photos and videos. But I want to buy a small video recorder that has a "remote" microphone as an input, so you can really get the engine noise rather than wind noise when the camera is not behind the windshield.

I used the Nikon software to download the video to my hard drive and then uploaded it to YouTube.

Last edited by wtm442; 12-16-2006 at 01:12 PM..
Old 12-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin
Too cold for my taste. I like to enjoy the ride, not have to have the ice removed from my face.
Tru - You wimp! I bet Freddie's frog loves a ride when its in the 50's. I love a short ride in the cool weather when the temp is about 55 ºF or above. Just have a nice warm hat and a good pair of gloves. The coldest ride was last winter in early January. There was no snow on the ground, dry streets and I went for a 20 minute ride. The temp was 19 ºF ... that was just a little cold, but I was driving the car into Boston for the big Auto Show. The drive home 3 days later was better ... a balmy 28 ºF. Winning two awards made the ride a lot warmer.

Its just a continuation of high school when I had a 57 Chevy Bel Air Convertible ... used to drive with the top down when it was snowing. That was one cool car. Sold it in the mid 60's for $350.00. Ahhhhh, those were the days!

Last edited by wtm442; 12-16-2006 at 01:24 PM..
Old 12-16-2006, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Does anyone know how to get the volume to work on these video's?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Red face

There is a little speaker icon, just to the right of the time counter (once the video starts). Click on it and a vertical slider bar will appear. Slide it all the way up. If still not loud enough, turn up the sound volume on your computer.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice Video ! Im hoping to take the car out tomorrow !
Old 12-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave
Me too. Probably from 11 until football at 1 PM. Weather after tomorrow looks really cold and raw. Probably add some Stabil during tomorrows ride.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks WTM!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Diecast for now
Not Ranked     

Warren, it looks like you will be abe to take out your toy up until New Years day with our upcoming weather!!!
I agree about the use of a remote mike to capture those glorious sounds.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:10 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Warren,
I've got a StickyPod on order, just selecting a Digital Camcorder now. The Sony model has an optional wireless mic... where would you put the mic for the best sound? Under the hood? On yourself for the driver feel?

This should be fun...
Old 12-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jay

I'm not sure where the best sound of the motor would come from, but let me throw something out.

You want the best place that ELIMINATES any sound other that the motor. Therefore, it must not be subjected to wind noise. Thats the biggest offender. The second biggest offender are the idiots that add some stupid record to the video. I hate those guys. But I digress.

Therefore, best places could be ...

under the dash
behind the windshield by the rear view mirror
inside the glove compartment
in the trunk.

I'm wondering what it would sound like if you attached the remote mic to the side exhaust, close to the exit. Might be nice ... probably not.

If you were to put it in the engine compartment, I'd make sure it was fastened securely ... lots of hot stuff to melt a microphone.

I'm waiting for your first video, even if its snowing outside
Old 01-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Another Video

This weather is unbelievable. Three rides so far in January

Old 01-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Of course, the worst part of a ride is going home to the garage ...

Anyone notice that on January 7th my garden hose is still connected? WOW. One of these days I'll fix that brake squeel ... only happens occasionally.

Last edited by wtm442; 01-07-2007 at 03:44 PM..