14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default Best 427 original rear wheel well shape ?

I've been looking at different manufactures of 427 cobras for the best original shape. Most seem.....to be more rounded. I'm not sure how to explain the original shape ?
Original- It looks like, starting from the front bottom, that the fender starts to flare out wide, rounds out over the tire, then again, flares out even wider.
Replicas- the front flare looks smaller and not as wide, the wheel well looks bigger, and the rear flare, again, looks smaller.
Do any of you have side x side photo's of the rear fenders from different manufactures ? Which company's have the correct shape ? Searching several of the replica's built, most say that "their" cobra, is "identical", to the original. But, unless it's my bad eye sight, a lot of them have just a simple round arch. The biggest problem I have with the fenders is that some look like the openings are too large, thus showing a lot of the wheel well instead of tire. When I see the originals, with the large flares, the openings are full of tire. I realize,.... it depends on how you have the car sitting with the suspension and adjustable shocks ect.. If I happen to find any photo's that I can post, showing what I see, I'll do so.
What do you guy's think ?
Thanks
Old 06-18-2007, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up kirkham

kirkham has the most correct rearwheel arch of any manufacturer.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How about in a glass body. (Since I can't afford the BEST)
Old 06-18-2007, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

ERA has the best look in my opinion
Old 06-18-2007, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2
How about in a glass body. (Since I can't afford the BEST)
A KMP roller is not much more than an SPF or ERA roller.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 06-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

ERA is a great representaion however stret derived. CSX, Hi-Tech, and CCX are very S/C like. The S/C has less fender flare that the street car that ERA patterned, Peter's #3352 if my memory serves me correct. Peter Bayer molded the early CCX body from #3045. I have forgotten the # used by Hi-Tech and CSX continuation cars. Might be one in the same.....

Keep in mind all originals vary a bit! Many have undergone body restoration.

John can you help?

Jeff

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 06-19-2007 at 03:20 AM..
Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is a VERY good question, one of the first things I look for in an 'accurate' car but rarely talk about. There are SO many variables within the industry and it's so easy to 'step on someones toes' discussing it.

I was recently looking at an older glass Hi Tech, a model well known for it's accuracy. BUT, the bottom of the rear fender flairs just aint 'right'! Is it possible that Hi Techs vary on fender flair from one year/model to the next?

My ERA is the 'street' version body (dash, fender flairs and guage placement different from an SC) but mine is done up in SC style, typical of MANY ERA's. The ERA SC body has slightly different flaring on the top part of the rear fenders. So even with ERA you have to be careful when contemplating the look you want.

For myself, I considered many variables before deciding my current ERA was the right car for me, and that included price as well as fender flairing. I would prefer the SC style ERA flairs but you do the best you can within your budget.

Last edited by Excaliber; 06-18-2007 at 07:20 PM..
Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Cobra re-creation based on Kirkham aluminum body and chassis, Original 1965 Ford 427 Side Oiler and Ford Toploader transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge
A KMP roller is not much more than an SPF or ERA roller.
True, however if you want to paint your KMP which you probably do since you are going for an original look car then you will end up with a big and expensive project taking the car apart to paint it and then building it again. Kirkham will not provide you with a painted car. But yes, Kirkham is definitely the closest to original with ERA and Superformance pretty close in glass cars.

Last edited by richsd; 06-18-2007 at 07:21 PM..
Old 06-18-2007, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do like the ERA.
When I was at the Kirkham site, I clicked on the 427 & the options I wanted but, not all that I needed. It still came out to be apx. $ 70-75k. I think I would even buy a kirkham over a new Shelby. Still, in will always be my dream cobra. Anyway, back to the glass version's.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just red a article on who bought "High-Tech" but alas, don't remember who ?
Excaliber- So, yours is "street version" and not, the semi-comp car ? I'll have to look in your album.
Superformance looks good also, except the price & the use of struts in the suspension. I'm a bit.....of a purest in that manor anyway.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Was it "Unique" that bought High-Tech ?
I'll attache a couple of pics showing my Lone Star and would appreciate your thoughts in comparison. I have gone to 50 series tire to a 60 for more tire width. I don't like the shorter sidewall though !

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-18-2007 at 07:40 PM..
Old 06-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I suspect if you looked at the manufacturers 'numbers' the VAST majority of ERA's are ordered with the basic 'street' body with every intention of then building an SC style car. Seems to me the actual SC body from ERA cost more than the 'street' version body, perhaps that is a factor. Very few ERA's actually end up being built as true 'street' body style cars.

The differences are subtle, but become clearer when you know what to look for. SC will have the tach where the speedo is on street cars. No glove box on SC and different fender flairs. Worht the extra cost? Tough call. I swapped out the location of my tach and speedo to get a more accurate dash layout myself, not an easy thing to do by the way.

Bear in mind that SPF's parent company is "High Tech" (I think thats how it's spelled) and is NOT affliated with the OLD or NEW "Hi Tech" replicas. Two (three?) separate companies (like this aint confusing enough all ready).

Last edited by Excaliber; 06-18-2007 at 07:41 PM..
Old 06-18-2007, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

you are correct about a Kirkham roller, the 39,000 starter gets you about halfway there. I added up the options on my car at todays prices from their website and it was right at 80K, no motor ,no tranny. You can get to a 100K easy.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ya, me too. Bummer. lol
Old 06-18-2007, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excal- yours looks great !
Look at mine vs your wheel well. How much difference do you see ?

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-18-2007 at 07:47 PM..
Old 06-18-2007, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Superformance looks good also, except the price & the use of struts in the suspension.
Well, I'd have to say Kev, honestly, if an SPF is more than you want to spend, you might as well forget any of the other more accurate bodied cars, as thay are all in that price range.

I don't know what to say about your $75k Kirkham roller quote. You could build a finished car for that amount. I didn't pay anywhere close to that for my KMP roller, it was only a few grand more than an SPF or ERA roller.

I have heard people say that Hurricane has a decent body shape, plus they aren't anywhere as much as an ERA or SPF. That might be a brand looking into.

Contemporary also has a really nice shape, but of course you'd have to buy a used car.

ERA is a nice car, but as mentioned, it's more based off a street car than an S/C. I can tell you this... I had an ERA in my shop for some time, and sitting next to my CSX, the rear of the car looked really different, so take that for what it's worth.

Another thing worth mentioning... Comp cars had no rear wheel lip. So if you are going for an original style look, you could easily go for a comp car look with a no or small lip body, and it would still basically look like an S/C. Just food for thought.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's interesting Sal. I don't know what to do about lessening the cost of a Kirkham ? I didn't even pick out a high optioned list and it still was over 70k. I don't know how you did it !
Thanks for you side x side comparison to the CSX vs ERA.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's interesting Sal. I don't know what to do about lessening the cost of a Kirkham ? I didn't even pick out a high optioned list and it still was over 70k. I don't know how you did it !
Thanks for you side x side comparison to the CSX vs ERA.
Here's how you do it... e-mail David and tell him you are interested . You'd be surprised how much they will work with you.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great idea. I wondered if they would work on price. Out of curiosity,
I'm on the site now adding what perks I want and apx. price.
They have again changed how to add/choose and price your car. Pretty nice so far.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So far, without many extra items and no drive train, $ 58.255. I'll call the sometime.
What fantastic engineering with the frame and suspension. And how can you beat that body. The entire car is a work of art !