28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2007, 10:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Anyone wanna see what its like to run 246mph down the Mulsanne Straight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQbmv12s-Yk&NR=1
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to PDHse
Not Ranked     

Now that is scary.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Findling 001 - starting scratch build
Not Ranked     
Smile Ligne Droite des Hunaudières

Now the famous straight is largely gone. Prior to the 1990 race, two chicanes
were inserted to slow the cars down. When Bob Tullius ran his Group 44 Jaguar
XJR's there in 1983, the blare of those V-12's winding out on the straight and
cutting through the early morning mist was simply incredible.

....Fred
Old 06-26-2007, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

That and a good cup of columbian will start the day off right......

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can you imagine leaving the course at that speed? No, The thought is too much for my feeble mind.
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #243 - 351W stroked to 418
Not Ranked     

And they run it for hours at a shift. Lap after insane lap. I ran it on my GT4 Playstation (very realistic) and nearly had a nervous breakdown.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 351
Not Ranked     
Default From Le Mans to Cleveland (believe it or not)

Great tape. Le Mans with Steve McQueen is one of my favorite movies. Especially when the clock is ticking up to the start and from click, click and heart beats in silence it goes to Roar.
Just got back from the Champ Car race in Cleveland, and standing at the end of the front straight as the cars slow dramatically down from 160 - 170 to the sharp right hander and just make it on the edge, jumping all over the place, is great to watch and great sound effects. The cars are only a few feet away from you. Also spent much time behind the pits in the paddock. Our seats were right across from the victory stand and the end of pit row with two of the teams in front of us. Great action. Everything is open and accessible not like NASCAR or Formula One where you need an audience to get to see or talk to anybody or get close to the cars. When did anybody talk to a member of the France family, Roger Penske or Bernie Ecclestone? But Kevin Kalkoven, one of the principal owners of champ cars and a team owner, was easily accessible in the paddock.
Go to one of the races and see how fast these cars really are up close and personal. And I am saying this having been to many NASCAR races over the years, Formula One events in Europe and here, and going back to USAC's Indy cars (long before the split), TransAm, and Can Am.
Plus this weekend featured Atlantic cars, Formula 2000, Skip Barber, drag racing, bikini volley ball contests, rock concerts and more.
And if you stay downtown and go out to eat in the warehouse district, you
will run into drivers and teams. It is fun all around.
(I just like the stuff; I am not getting paid to say this.)
OMathisen
Old 06-26-2007, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Ok, fine, the speed is cool but look at 1:37 into the video when he puts the brakes on! WOW! I want a set of brakes that'll do that, lap after lap after lap!

Who is John Galt?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Ernie, Others are noticing that brake action too!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

Imagine doing that at night...in the rain.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cool video!
Not a big deal but did you notice that the sound doesn't quite match up just right?
Still cool though!
Larry
Old 06-27-2007, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 351
Not Ranked     
Smile Two seater FI

So you want to go 240 mph? I forgot to mention that also at Cleveland the Minardi team brought their two seater FI with an 800 hp-plus V10 Cosworth with a back seat. Reving at some 16,000 rpms, the sound was higher pitched than the Champ cars and the car was flying with passengers. How do you get onboard? First, you have to pass a physical (they do not want any heart attacks or other ailments caused by the G-forces imposed in the turns as well as by acceleration and decceleration). Second, if you pass the medical, three laps cost $10,000 (that is $3,000 a minute more or less), unless, of course, you are a vip. I did not go.
Next chance, check to see if the two-seater is at Road America in August.
OMathisen
Old 06-27-2007, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Racing/427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

That is a bunch of crap....watch the way the pixels got wanky when he comes to a stop ..there is NO way that he could stop that fast
Old 06-27-2007, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

..that ain't nuttin, I do that every morning heading east on RT80 in Jersey.
Then I wake up...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

It's deception.
Classic visual/technical manipulation, not an honest image.
If that car slowed down that fast his ahole would be around his neck. The frame rate of the recording is being undercranked. Normal recording rates are 24-29.97 frames per second which portrays live action in the most accurate and synchronised rendition to the human eye.
That recording appears to be recorded/photographed, or re-recorded, at 16 to 18 fps.
The faster the frame rate the slower the action, the slower the frame rate the faster (and more radical) the action. The slower fps (frames per second) enhance the look of the straight away and the radical braking going into the corner.
That type of visual manipulation has been utilized since the fortys, its just a little more sophisticated now.
Take a look at a Tarzan movie where he swims really fast and (obviously) unnaturally, same principal with modern day enhancements.

Last edited by lineslinger; 06-27-2007 at 06:58 PM..
Old 06-27-2007, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lineslinger, Scufty, Is there anyway to Scientifically proove that it was manipulated? Has anyone got an honest film of someone slowing a Car of that caliber? Im no expert and having never been in a car that went from 246 to almost zero Id have to reserve judgement. The brakes that I have planned for my Cobra are Alcons. I bought them from a supplier to Nascar teams. They are designed for a 3000 lb car so Im expecting some big time whoa in my 2100 lb rocket sled. As far as the straight away segments, do you think they are manipulated also?? Landing speed for a 747 is only 130 and those trees buildings etc are going by in a faily fast rate, double that speed would be pretty close to what I think I saw in that film. Most of us have gone 120 before at one time or another, what do you think double that would be like?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #243 - 351W stroked to 418
Not Ranked     

The fact that it's a fish-eye lens also exaggerates the motion. If you look at the hands on the wheel, including the dramatic deceleration, I see nothing to indicate manipulated film or video speed.
My .02 worth.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Most drivers would say that the camera does not protray exactly what we see with our eyes but it aint far off. Man ,that is some kind of machine!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

If that film had been 'adjusted' to make the action seem faster, then the hand movement on the wheel would look unreal as well. I've watched it several times and the hand/steering wheel movements look fine to me. A fixed camera position always gives a very false impression of speed and deceleration.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Compare the speed of the trees and the lines in the road with this clip, the other may be a little off.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?...elated&search=

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way