Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2007, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Mustang GT 350 Clone vs Daytona Coupe

I have always wanted 65 Mustang GT350 but as with the original Cobra's, I've been behind the curve with having enough money to get an original. One of the club members has a "Clone" for sale and I'm wondering what any of you Stang experts think about buying a really nice clone vs an origianal that would need lots of money to fix up.

Ive been saving to get a Daytona Coupe and because I want the instant gratification of a turn-key car, I am still short of the bucks needed to pull the trigger. I am starting to think that a Mustang GT 350 Clone would satisfy my itch for another toy.

Dick
Old 06-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

One is a Cobra replica the other isn't.

I'm not really a "Mustang" guy.

I like the Brock Coupe better. But that's me.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

I have both, and one(the mustang) is an old creaky car that looks great, and the other(spf Daytona) is a modern rocket ship with nice amenities and killer looks. Get the Daytona
Old 06-27-2007, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My problem is that if I go for the Daytona it will mean waiting for a while. I waited for my Cobra for 20 years and have been kicking myself in the **s ever since . If I get the Mustang clone I could get it now. I keep telling myself that I need to make maximum use of the "good" years that I have left. My son tells me not to worry as he will be glad to drive my cars when I become to feeble .

Dick
Old 06-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

It may not be an either/or answer if you are a NOW kind of person Dick. Buy the Mustang now, enjoy and drive it now, and you can be saving the extra dough to close the gap on the Daytona. When you have enough saved for the gap, sell the Mustang clone (if you buy it right), and pay for the Coupe when ready.

The best thing about clones is you can drive them and not stress about putting a few more miles on the car; and if they are really nice clones, kept well maintained, someone is always willing to take it off your hands later.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Duane I think what you said makes sense. I want an enclosed car to enjoy when the weather prevents me from driving my Cobra. If I got the Mustang now I could be having fun with it right away while I waited to get a Daytona. To many of my friends that have put off getting things they wanted have ended up without ever getting them and have missed all the fun that they would have had. By waiting their situations changed either finacially or health issues prevented them from realizing their dreams. I guess that this has helped me turn into a"NOW" kind of guy as you said.

Dick
Old 06-27-2007, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: original a/c. shell valley 427. daytona coupe
Not Ranked     

I am lucky enough to have maney, Including both daytonas and mustangs. I think that you only go around once so enjoy them all. Mustang first if its the easiest to aquire, and then the daytona. follow your'e heart and passion and enjoy them for the way you should not just an investment {Oh god I sound like my wife sorry} good luck.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

do not get me wrong, a nice clone is a great car and few others look better to me, it just will not drive like a cobra or daytona. They were marginal technology when new. the value will hold, so enjoy. This is mine.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Call Rob Ginn or Bill at McMichael Motorsports in Braselton GA. They do both - Superformance dealer and build GT 350 clones frame up! Great guys who will treat you right and glad to give you their opinion.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Daytona is great looking but I never liked how close the roof line comes down on you in the drivers seat. Most Daytona replicas I sat in - SPF, Factory Five etc all were that way. I have had 5 cobras and now a GT350R replica and they are very different. My GT350R is set up more for the track but I like the way cobras and the GT350 drive and handle as they are more vintage 1960s feel. Check out my gallery........
Old 06-30-2007, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all of your input. Being a "NOW" guy as Duane mentioned, I will be picking up Jay's 350 GT clone around the 20th of July .

Dick
Old 06-30-2007, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Dick,

You have purchased a great Mustang. Jay had it down at the Cobra Club meet in Austin in March and at a couple of lunches here in Dallas since he bought it at the auction. I have several pics of it..........nice car!