Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     
Default Registering In California From Out Of State

I'm having a little difficulty with a pending purchase, due to the good ol' California DMV and its smog regs. I'm considering buying a Cobra CSX from another state where it is registered as a 2004 Specialty Constructed Vehicle. It has absolutely no smog equipment on it..not even a PCV system for blow by containment. The problem is that within 10 days of bringing it in the State it must be registered, but Calif won't do that unless it passes Smog cert for a 2004 vehicle (the date on the 427 CSX aluminum block). SB 100 registration for only 500 lucky owners won't be available until Jan 2, 2008 so I can't go there until then. It's licensed in its current state through May 2008 so it's legally driveable....however, without insurance in California (can't get it until it's registered in my name for use on Calif roads) it's illegal to drive in addition to putting liability on the seller.
So other than sneaking into the State in an enclosed trailer, and parking it in my garage for 6 months or so, get the seller to give me a bill of sale dated Dec 25th or so (within 10 days of Jan 2, 2008)and then wait to pull the SB 100 slot machine on Jan 2, does anyone out there have any similar experiences or have any good ideas for me to follow up on? I think I've tested every corner on this one.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2001 SPF, Sold =(
Not Ranked     

Look in the Registration thread. Lots of us here in Ca have the same issue. I do too. You can get TOPs while going through the SB100 process. I have insurance on my SPF, a TOP, and drive my car a bunch while waiting till Jan '08.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks. You're speaking about a Temp Operating Permit? Aren't they only good for about 30-60 days, and then you have to get registered permanently? How did you get it insured with only a TOP? Bill of sale only? Thanks for your input.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Send a message via AIM to Tinker51
Not Ranked     

Brought my car in from out of state where it was registered as a 65 Ford. Went to DMV and paid my bill and was handed a TOP and an SB100 number. That allowed me to insure it and drive it so I could do VIN verification with CHP and BAR. When I did mine the 500 numbers were not used up. Most guys are able to get extensions to allow them to continue driving until Jan 2nd. Others who have done it more recently will chime in I am sure.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2001 SPF, Sold =(
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokndad
Thanks. You're speaking about a Temp Operating Permit? Aren't they only good for about 30-60 days, and then you have to get registered permanently? How did you get it insured with only a TOP? Bill of sale only? Thanks for your input.
Yep, a Temp Operating Permit. I am on my 3rd one already. If you tell them you are in the process of meeting your SB100 requirements (going to CHP and such) they are usually pretty cool about giving you another TOP extension.

As far as insurance. I drove my SPF to my State Farm agent... brought all my paperwork for the car that I had, and they insured it off the VIN and my name. My car was previously registered in Wash State, since 2001. So, I had the Wash pink slip with me when I went to see my Ins agent.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Same here. I got a temporary operating permit in mid-June that's good through the end of August. Most likely you'll get the "deer in headlights" look when you first go to the DMV.

I've heard of a few exceptions, but be prepared to write a BIG check for the sales tax (based on the purchase price of the car) and license fees.

Doug

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you all so much. I had pretty much resigned myself to waiting until Jan 2, 2008 for one of the coveted SB 100 certs, but was concerned about temporarily operating it and getting it insured. Your comments plus the other threads talking about the lengthy process confirms what I had suspected. So I'm off to check classic car ins. quotes and the local DMV to see what they'll do for me on the TOP. I'm new to this kind of communication and it's great. Thanks again for the forum and the responses.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

Rokndad,

If you talk to the DMV regarding a TOP, I would suggest that you tell that you want to try to pass SMOG. It will probably fail, but it gives you a legitimant reason to need a TOP. If you just say I want a TOP while I wait for January for an SB100 they will likely tell you to jump in a lake.

Also some BAR referees will treat newer blocks based on the first year that block was introduced, for example I've got a new dart 351 block with my Roush motor. BAR said 351w first shows in the books a '69 so thats how they tested me, not a 2006 or whenever the block was actually built. Your experience may differ, but thats how it went for me.

Good luck

Daryl
Old 06-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Daryl,
Thanks. I think you're right on target with this approach. I went to a local DMV today, they pretty said the same thing. I'm moving forward now and will let you all know how I did. They said they had 18 guys in line on Jan 3, 2007 and all 18 got their SB 100's. Not looking forward to that, but hey, it's an activity!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

If you live in a rural area (or have a PO box in one) there is no smog requirements...yes even in CA there are still some places that DON"T require smog.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I took a look at the DMV's website, but couldn't find any info on counties that are exempt. Some counties are less stringent.

Rwilla4, do you have more info?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-30-2007, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't know about all of places in CA but here in san diego if you go east to descanso and past (40 min east of downtown) no smog is required. THhs is still in san diego county. Usually the town is more of a farming town where it works. Whe I go to the DMV in downtown san diego they simply ask the zip code and that determines what smog is required.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwillia4
I don't know about all of places in CA but here in san diego if you go east to descanso and past (40 min east of downtown) no smog is required. THhs is still in san diego county. Usually the town is more of a farming town where it works. Whe I go to the DMV in downtown san diego they simply ask the zip code and that determines what smog is required.
Rwillia, do you know anyone that's tried this on a Cobra? My speculation is that there is no semi annual smog requirement in these areas. If you buy a new car in one of these counties it still have to be flagged as passing CA emissions standards, they just dont make you retest. It would be great if I'm wrong. And this would still open the door to passing smog once, which isnt out of the question, and then putting your motor back to how you want it.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlang14
Rwillia, do you know anyone that's tried this on a Cobra? My speculation is that there is no semi annual smog requirement in these areas. If you buy a new car in one of these counties it still have to be flagged as passing CA emissions standards, they just dont make you retest. It would be great if I'm wrong. And this would still open the door to passing smog once, which isnt out of the question, and then putting your motor back to how you want it.
BTW-I believe the term is biennial (every two years), not semi annual which is twice a year.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been using a mountain address for years on all of my cars (new and old), I have never had a problem and never been asked to get a smog check.