Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: west Coast Cobra FRP 460, Tremec 5 sp, Ford 9" rear
Not Ranked     
Default Would you drive your new car 2000miles

Would any of you ever consider buying a new built cobra 2000 miles away and driving it home instead of having it shipped. Or am i just asking for trouble.

Thanks
Brent
Old 06-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

Depends on the builders reputation and how comfortable you are with it. Personally, shipping cost is a lot less costly than a breakdown out in the middle of nowhere.

my 0.02

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 06-28-2007, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lets see..... 1600 miles home at .52 per mile is $832 + $50 hookup fee + 1600 miles back for the tow truck $832 + other misc crap he will charge you for $600

Why bother. Just have it shipped.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I would drive it home only if I had someone with me and could take at least 10 to 12 days for the trip. Would make for a nice adventure, but shipping it home is a lot cheaper.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 695HP aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Yes!

I seriously considered buying a car from Colorado and driving it to Florida. If you are a fair mechanic, bring tools and leave a little extra time it should be a blast.

As for the expenses, the fun of driving a Cobra and the adventure would out weigh them.

JGC
Old 06-29-2007, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Racing/427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

why buy the frickin car if you dont feel it would make it? Sheesh ...now if you were buying someone elses car with no noticable history of the car and or builder etc ..different story but if you are buying it from a reputable builder I sure as heck would expect to be able to drive it across the states without an issue ...also the builder should ship it for you if he doesnt feel it will make it
Old 06-29-2007, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good point scufty. What was i thinking !
Old 06-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Question Tow vehicle?

Do you have a vehicle that you could tow with?

I had to drive 600 miles to pick up my Cobra. I bought a used trailer for $1,000. Hauled my car home with it, and will get my money back, when I sell it.

I've used it several times since, so I may just keep it for now.

jdog
Old 06-29-2007, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

no,
1) will break down- far exceeding the shipping cost when the hick trying to tow it damages it to the nearest service station
2) possible road chips
3) by the time you get home the magic will be gone
Old 06-29-2007, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi jdog
Yes i have a tow vehicle. A GMC Duramax. Thats a good idea too. I actually posted looking for a trailer in the Michigan area to buy. My thoughts were to jump the border and travel from montana to michigan. Pick up a trailer. Jump the border into Ontario and pick the car up. Then i'm not sure if i would be allowed to come back stateside and be able to come back into Canada or if i would have to travel home through Canada.

Brent
Old 06-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

You need 500 miles of shakedown/break in to work out all the quirky bugs crawling around in your new car.
You can work them out on the highway on your drive home or you can wring them out at home, where you have a garage and known help.
Whats your preference?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Just the little expected things like re-torque of wheels or header bolts after a few heat cycles can grow into bigger issues if not completed. If I had the ability to shake it down with a few hundred miles and then just look her over I would go for it just for the trip. All items have a small percentage of failure and it takes many many parts to build a car so how lucky do ya feel? Nothing meant about any builder but all header bolts need to be checked regardless of who installed them. Checking all out after it heat cycles and a few miles just makes sense to catch a loose bolt before it becomes a problem.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1492, Roush 402R (Sold)
Not Ranked     

Do it, just plan the trip through populated areas. Maybe get some names of people along the route that could help if needed.
Enjoy the car....

James
Old 06-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Where you gonna park overnight? I'd only be concerned about security and weather if the builder is reputable...yeah, some things might break, but they might not. Are you a fairly good mechanic? It would certainly be a helluva hoot!
Old 06-29-2007, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Racing/427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Ok fair enough header bolts etc ....SIMPLE to check along the way at the end of each night ( you will be sitting there drooling over it anyway) I guess as long as your not racing to get the baby home ..I mean dont get me wrong ..trailering it back saves you any grief but like I said ..I didnt buy my car to trailer it anywhere not sure about the rest of you ...I have broke 150 miles from home and it sucks...so whats the diff if its 1000 miles from home ..it always sucks hahaha But I would DRIVE it baby! PS give me a shout when ya get it home we should go for a rip ..Im in Calgary. Us guys in the north only get 4 months to drive...gotta get er done while you can
Old 06-29-2007, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, PE 514
Not Ranked     

Hi Brent;

I fully understand your enthusiasm to drive your car home -- I considered it, too. I know your waiting for the "but" -- let me say this instead.

I'd say go ahead and drive it, if that's what you want, but have a back-stop arranged. Like a friend going with you pulling an empty trailer. It can serve as a portable garage and all that represents, should you need it. If you've read the forums for a while, you know that any number of things can happen to a newly built car --even those done by the best in the business.

A 2000 mile first cruise -- that would be something to talk about for the rest of your life. Hell, the rest of us would be talking ABOUT you for the rest of OUR lives. Keep us posted!

Bryon
Old 06-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a great trip. Just take an emergency kit (tire plug repair kit, small sissor jack, couple of gallons of distilled water, some oil), check radiator hoses, etc. to be sure they are secured - and recheck en route. For security, I would map out a route staying overnight at Bed & Breakfast locations on the way. Generally more secure than hotels or motels. Should be a lot of fun. I am considering taking delivery of my new ERA in the Carolinas, rather than have it shipped to Miami. My wife and I will receive it in the Carolinas, and stay at B&B's on the way to Miami. Can't wait. Have a blast. Rickd
Old 06-29-2007, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 92 Classic Roadsters, 408CI Clevor, T-56
Not Ranked     

NO DOUBT -- DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did and it was a once in a lifetime experience. Bring someone along to share the experience with.

Here is a link to the thread about my trip (Klamath Falls, Oregon to Atlanta, GA):

"New" Cobra in Atlanta
Old 06-29-2007, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 92 Classic Roadsters, 408CI Clevor, T-56
Not Ranked     

Here is a link to the video I made for the 2000+ mile first leg of my trip home. If this doesn't get you excited to drive it home instead of trailering it then nothing will......

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...95133091&hl=en
Old 06-29-2007, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

autoxmike that was a very touching vid. It's great that you were able to share the experience with your bros. I'm sure you have no regrets.
John