Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 05:04 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Should I go Big Block?

I have a 406 in the barn. I am thinking of building it up and swapping it out for the 358 I currently have in the car ( punched Boss 351 ).

I have a TKO600 for a trans, so I am wondering if this would be a good move or should I put the 406 into something else.

What are your thoughts?

Old 06-29-2007, 05:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Tru,

That is hard to answer as only you know what you are going to be doing with the car. As Ford only made the 406 in 1962 and 1963, they are hard to find out here, but many of the other parts from other FE engines can be used. The only 406 that I am aware of around here belongs to a friend of mine and it is a 390 built to 406. The 406 tri power motor was a good performing engine but very rare to find around here any more and expensive if you do find one.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 06-29-2007, 05:55 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You are right Ron, but I like the stroke to bore ratio. I have always liked the high RPM engines. This one might be able to turn 7k when I get done.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None at moment
Not Ranked     

I personally like the sound and grunt of the big blocks and since you have it already, I say go for it! Jim
Old 06-29-2007, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance,#058,66 427 Sideoiler
Not Ranked     

I love my BB.
Johan
Old 06-29-2007, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you will be able to get that kind of rpms I would do it, the only thing you will need is another bellhousing and everything else will interchange. That is going to be one mean sounding Cobra when you do the swap. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 06-29-2007, 06:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Tru,

I like the BB in my 69 Cobra and it makes it's power at 6300 RPM. And as said before, nothing can take the place of that BB rumble. Except the high pitched scream of a SB as it flies by you. The 406s were good engines and I knew several who had them 63 Galaxies and other cars and they really ran great.

Ron

Old 06-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Tru
One Wolfie power is enough to drag your Cobra in and out of the garage. So all you need is an engine to power the Cobra up and down the driveway. I would suggest a slant 6 Plymouth for that task. Then you would have one rare car.

Leave the Cobra alone. Use the 406 in another project. Go out for a drive.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 406FE(Southern Automotive)
Not Ranked     
Smile

Yes, Yes, Yes, I've got a 406 from southern Automotive, the rumble is ace, go for it.

Peter.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

I'd do it-better sound, lots of torque, looks better IMHO, and you've already got the motor.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427W
Not Ranked     

No, don't do it. Extra weight (good for a boat anchor I guess), less room to work on things - and you will need it with the BB, and most guys who are satisfied genetically don't have to prove anything with the small block. (Now let the flames begin, I'm going for some popcorn...back later!) Naw, seriously, I would go with the big block, at the least it looks better in the engine compartment, and probably has a lot more performance mod capability. But as others have said, depends on how you want to use the car.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:31 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks.

I think I might start this with the intent to put the engine in the cobra. I have gone plenty fast with the 358, but it appears more and more to be a light to light situation.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tru,

If you race light to light then put the BB in a real sleeper. A stripped down Plymouth Belvedere comes to mind. All white, no chrome, now options, and a cross ram 426 Hemi. Great for about a mile and after that you were ready to park and walk. But it sure got a lot of people who thought it was the original slant 6.

Ron

Old 06-30-2007, 06:01 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I a light to light situation, traction is King. Getting off the line quickly without spinning the tires is more important than the difference in HP between the two engines.

Practice, practice, practice ....
Old 06-30-2007, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Is this an original 406 from 62.5-63.5? If so it needs to get outta the barn and into the car. I've had quite a few of those. I can tell you something else....some 406 blocks were cast with 427 cyl wall cores. Not all but some and can be a pleasant surprise if so. Crossbolt bosses might be there as well. Some had them and some didn't. What head and block casting numbers are on it? 4v or 6v induction?

G.