Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Need help/direction on Autokraft restoration

Gentlemen and women, I need some guidance on resto shops that I might interview to restore an autokraft MkIV I recently bought. The car was formerly owned by Stormin' Norman and lived life a quarter mile at a time. It needs a lot of tlc to make it streetable. I need some help as to who's out there that I might talk to to handle the restoration. I am the previous owner of AK1232 and had quite a bit of mod work done by a shop I'd rather not use again. HELP!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance, Les
Old 07-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Don't know what part of the country your are in, but www.cobraautomotive.com is a shop dedicated to restoring original cobras and shelby mustangs for collectors and vintage racers. Located in Wallingford, Ct.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Congrats on an AKL!
Restoration can be costly especially if you need metal work. Don't try to save in the metal body department. If you need body work seek people known for aluminum via SAAC or try the pros like Goeff Howard, McKluskey etc.....and pay the $$$$$
If aluminum is repaired incorrectly it can open back up anytime and then you are back to square #1. This usually requires an old timer familiar with metals.

If the body is fine you can simply find a shop familiar with Cobras. They should be able to help and can be found on both ends of the country.

Best to you,
Jeff
Old 07-01-2007, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rickd and 85ccx, thanks for the tips. I will not be penny wise and pound foolish. I'm located in the Philadelphia area, but also make home in Scottsdale and NYC, so location of restorer does not matter. Of greater importance to me is that they know the AK's and aluminum. I've got an excellent interior person on both coasts and I'm more interested in the body work and mechanicals/engine. The car is VERY rough and really unsafe at this time. Anymore suggestions out there?????????
Old 07-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2498 has been in our family garage since '68....Scratch built aluminum bodied 427SC Cobra, 427FE, CSX3000 chassis specs, 95% finished, only needs paint.
Not Ranked     
Default Aluminum body man

Yes, I live just outside Philadelphia, and there is an excellent alum body man here. He is working on my brother's MKIV now and is moving on to my dads CSX2498 and then to my alum bodied 427SC car. He is very good, he is slow but very good. I will PM contact info asap. regards, Karl
Old 07-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

I well know the car, I have driven it at Mid-Ohio (where Norman showed up with drag slicks on the car).

Be aware that the car has already had a new front clip installed on it. When the car was brandy-new and at Roush for the engine, an employee "test drove" it into the rear of a Chevy station wagon and seriously Fubar'd the front end. My first MK IV shipped to Roush with the new clip and door skins for Norman's car. I even have photos of Norman's car being delivered to him via transporter. At the time it had the 351 stroker and a Doug Nash 5 speed that Norman replaced with a PowerGlide for his 1/4 mile "grocery runs".

Send the car to me with lotsa cash and I wll have it done for you.

Rick

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-01-2007, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default MKIV's

CarlCSX2498, who'is the interior guy and does he do tops? Jbo
Old 07-01-2007, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV
I well know the car, I have driven it at Mid-Ohio (where Norman showed up with drag slicks on the car).

Be aware that the car has already had a new front clip installed on it. When the car was brandy-new and at Roush for the engine, an employee "test drove" it into the rear of a Chevy station wagon and seriously Fubar'd the front end. My first MK IV shipped to Roush with the new clip and door skins for Norman's car. I even have photos of Norman's car being delivered to him via transporter. At the time it had the 351 stroker and a Doug Nash 5 speed that Norman replaced with a PowerGlide for his 1/4 mile "grocery runs".

Send the car to me with lotsa cash and I wll have it done for you.

Rick
Rick, I was hoping you'd chime in! I'd actually love to send the car to you (I went to UB and am on the board of the UB Foundation, so there alot) if you'd actually do the work!! I have had lots (!) of canversations with Norm and none of them were short!! Lol. Many a time I wish I'd kept 1232, but I got what I thought was stupid money for it when I sold it. I knew that Norm travelled only 6k miles, a 1/4 mile at a time, but I didnt realize how hacked up the car was. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!! Still, I love the car's history. I'm thinking of pulling the motor and putting it on a stand and putting in either a Ford crate motor or a York motor. I'd be honored with your thoughts and, seriously, if you were interested, I'd truck the sucker up to you in a heartbeat!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCSX2498
Yes, I live just outside Philadelphia, and there is an excellent alum body man here. He is working on my brother's MKIV now and is moving on to my dads CSX2498 and then to my alum bodied 427SC car. He is very good, he is slow but very good. I will PM contact info asap. regards, Karl
Karl, thanks!! I'll look for the PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBo
CarlCSX2498, who'is the interior guy and does he do tops? Jbo
JBo, there are a couple of great interior guys up my way if you're interested.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2498 has been in our family garage since '68....Scratch built aluminum bodied 427SC Cobra, 427FE, CSX3000 chassis specs, 95% finished, only needs paint.
Not Ranked     
Default Alum Body Man

Hello, labcars: PM sent with the info on the alum body man.

JBo, he is exterior alum body work. If you still need his contact info I will email or PM it to you. Regards, Karl