Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 742 / 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default New Virginia Speeding Law

Lookout out there. I see Virginia just enacted a new speeding law that will fine speeders (20 mph over the limit or more) a "bonus" fine of $1,050 plus costs plus the regular fine of $200+ . It seems that the highway fund is broke. If you are driving a Cobra in Virgina, better take a few plug wires off.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile Don't speed

Don't drive in Virginia

Dwight
Old 07-01-2007, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Australia - 20 mph over is instant loss of licence for 3 months plus a fine of around $500.

Additionally, some states run a 'double jeopardy' weekend. If you are caught speeding on these weekends it is double fine and double points.

A total of 10 points gains an extra fine of up to $400 and loss of licence for 30 days. A 15 kph over is 1 point (9mph) over 15kph is 2 points.

All of this along with static speed cameras reaps millions of dollars for the government.

Mmm and they say the cameras are to reduce speeding and accidents.

Interestingly the cameras are placed in low accident areas but high revenue areas....

Who is pulling who's chain...
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 07-01-2007, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I really don't have a problem with speeding fines. When your wrong your wrong, but the average working class guy simply can't afford such incredibly oppressive fines. Consumers are taxed, insured, and fined to death as it is. Having politicians that enact legislation like this is why God, in his wisdom, gave us tar and feathers.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As a side note, the new Virginia law was sponsored by David Albio, who just happens to be a partner in a law firm that specializes in defending traffic offenses. Whoduh thunkit. An attorney. More tar. More feathers. And perhaps a trip to the back alley for Mr. Albio.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Just plain old......"Pecuniary Interest Your Honour"....

By the way in a 100 KPH zone in Victoria, Australia (read 60mph) you are booked by cameras at 104kph. Now that less than 2 mph over in US language.

Imagine this on the 405 heading south to San Diego, you arer in a 55mph zone and cameras are booking you because you are travelling at 57 or 58mph. I'm serious that is what happens here.

Try travelling down the 405 in peak at watching your speedo at 55mph and staying within 2mph - now your understanding what is going on here at $155 per time and 1 point. If you do not have cruise control set at 100kph (60mph) your done. As I said who is pulling who's chain..

Off my soapbox now...

It's not about the speeding it's plainly about revenue raising. Convince me otherwise..

KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 07-02-2007 at 01:01 AM..
Old 07-02-2007, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The folding plate mounts

Bernie I firgure you guys havethe folding plate housings for high speed driving. They used to be in the early70's gm cars because the gas cap was in the rear. It was funning how that spring always was breaking. Used to hook a string to it through the trunk, and pull it up and sown when needed. Rick L
Old 07-02-2007, 03:51 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 E-M with 302 Ford
Not Ranked     

The additional fines are called civil penalties and are to be paid in three equal payments once a year for three (3) years.
The civil penalities are only applied to Va. drivers only .

Bonos
Old 07-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

The penalties are OK. The problem is the speed limits are too low. Many Connecticut roads posted 55 should be 70. Every road in my town is posted 25 or 30. It lets the police pull over anyone they want to, since everyone is speeding. I'm 60 years old and I can easily do 25 on my bicycle, never mind my daily driver. On a recent trip to Colorado many of the interstates were posted at 75. It allowed one to cruise at 80mph without being at rick for a ticket. It's always about the money not safety!

Bob
Old 07-02-2007, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

That makes me glad I live and drive in California. You can still get a ticket for speeding but, I'm unaware of civil penalties to be paid over a three year period. That seems a bit over the top. I could see it make sense if your speeding was involved in an accident though.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Also, I understand that it is a $105.00 fine for having a FUZZ Buster, Radar Detector, what ever you want to call it. Best friends wife got ticketed a couple of weeks ago, not for speeding but for having the radar detector located on her dash.

As it was already said: it is all about the money!

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The day is coming when all cars will be built with GPS devices and the state will mail you all your tickets at the end of the month. The police will track your every move. We'll all be much safer. Orwell was quite a visionary.

Bob
Old 07-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The new Hawaii speed law was enacted shortly after the only local race track here was closed. In our case it is not about 'money', it IS about getting a handle on street racing. 25 mph over posted or over 80 mph is $500 fine minimum, license suspension (30 days I think it is) and possible JAIL TIME! It is so serious you WILL need a lawyer. Slowed my a$$ down I can tell you that.

Street racing is a serious problem here and deaths of innocent drivers caught up in the ensuing crash have outraged the public, something had to be done.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't confuse reckless driving with speeding. Reckless driving is just that and it should not be tolerated, but speeding depends on what the sign says.

Bob
Old 07-02-2007, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct
The day is coming when all cars will be built with GPS devices and the state will mail you all your tickets at the end of the month. The police will track your every move. We'll all be much safer. Orwell was quite a visionary.

Bob
Schwarznegger's recent appointee to head Cal Trans actually proposed (last year) requiring gps units on all cars sold in CA to allow the state to track speeding and annual mileage (so they could mail out use tax statements annually)!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP540 Keith Craft 427 Alum. 2x4 carbs. 610hp
Not Ranked     
Default Virginia's Speeding

Virginia's new $3,550 speeding ticket
Traffic offenders face whopping additional fees that live on long after they've paid their fines. It's part of a growing 'driver responsibility' trend that targets chronic offenders.

Traffic patrols have long been known as roving tax collectors. But in Virginia, they really are collecting taxes.

Starting July 1, an array of traffic offenses, from expired licenses to speeding, come with a "civil remedial fee" attached. That means a motorist convicted of reckless driving (75 mph in a 55 zone would qualify) faces not only a fine of up to $2,500 and a year in jail, but a non-negotiable $350-a-year tax for three years. The law forbids judges from waiving or reducing the fee.

I found this on MSN.com this morning.
I think I will stay out of Virginia.

Last edited by nmayes; 07-02-2007 at 02:40 PM..
Old 07-02-2007, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom 351W Mild Cam 600cm Holley MSD T-5
Send a message via AIM to Smoking Cobra
Not Ranked     

As Bob from Ct stated, here in Ct. the speed law's are only for revenue. The state just passed a law allowing the police to keep $10.00 of every ticket for police dept. use. TELL me ticketing won't go up once it's money for new guns and cars. We had this law years ago and got rid of it because of all the stupid tickets handed out, NOW IT'S back.
In Norht Carolina speeds on similair roads are 20-30 mph higher. One reason I'm moving there in the future.
joeg
Old 07-02-2007, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Do you think the insurance companies have anything to do with it? They have a lot of weight politically and they raise your rates when you get tickets. Hmmm..."it's all about the money" is right on.