Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default issue with mass flo efi

So everything has been running great today. Then all the sudden while driving down the road the car cut out. Won't start now. I traced the issue to when I turn the key on I see the check engine light come on then a relay click then the light go out. My fuel pump trys to turn on but it never makes it. I am thinking a short of some kind but I will be dammed if I can find it.

Please help

Dan
Old 07-07-2007, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 545" stroked 460 - sold
Not Ranked     

Sounds like maybe the fuel pump went, or the fuse, or the relay, hard to say which. When you say the fuel pump "tries to turn on" what do you mean? Hums for 4 or 5 seconds or not? Does your fuel pressure gauge go up to 40psi briefly when the key is first turned on? I am guessing you are not getting fuel, and you need to check the fuse block inspect all fuses then the relays - they are interchangeable so can swap one of them to the fuel pump relay position and see if that activates your pump. The fuel pump relay can also be left out and the 12v source jumped directly to the pins of the relay harness to turn on the pump continuously (call Chris at mass-flo he will tell you which pins and talk you through the check list for your system). Also, pull codes from your computer and see what errors have been stored. I was chasing an intermittent fuel problem with my mass-flo and hot wired the pump to run continuously and finally found out on a slight hill (with a fuel gauge showing over 1/2 tank) that actually my tank was low and the fuel was sloshing out of the SPF baffle area where the pickup was and the engine was starved of fuel. Adjusted the fuel gauge filled it up and problem gone, hope yours is a simple fix! Good luck, call Chris
Old 07-07-2007, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The problem is it looks like the whole computer comes up for like 1 sec then dies. The check engine light comes on then off. The fuel pump comes on then off. I here the relays click and that is it. Its like the whole ecu has a short in it or something.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well that is really weird, the Mass-flo system uses the A9L ford ECC and they are supposed to be nearly bullet-proof (although awhile back at ffcobra.com there was a rumor that supplies were running out so I got one on eBay just-in-case!). I would assume your electrical system is otherwise OK? Still plenty of power to turn the starter, horn, headlights? If the ECC sensors identify low voltage the system will shut down. The check engine light going out before you try and start the engine indicates major failure - low voltage, open relay, blown fuse. Check system voltage and all fuses, relays and even though the light goes out, try grounding the self-test sensor lead, turn the ignition on and see if the light gives you any codes. Email Chris at mass-flo, he will often call back on weekends even, he is very good at customer support
Old 07-07-2007, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah lol I think I got something major going on too. I am at 500 miles and everything had been running great. I can't pull codes, I did try. All my voltages seem fine. I even tried to jump it with a charger just in case.

Dan
Old 07-07-2007, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well Dan if voltages are good and you can't pull codes with a check engine light that goes out before start, then I agree with you, sounds like ECC failure, although Chris told me once that was extremely unlikely, was "always something else" he said. But your system is not even getting through the initialization sequence. I've got a spare A9L if you need it, although my understanding is the Mass-flo techs modify the A9L with an add-on board to run the Ford system with the mass air sensor conversion coupler they use. If that question comes up though, if my spare A9L will help get yours going, let me know. More than likely Chris will have you send in your ECC and he can do a very quick turn-around. Please let me know, pm or email or post here with what you find out
Old 07-07-2007, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for being so kind I will lt you know.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #136, 427SR FI
Not Ranked     

I know this is an old post...curious to what the problem was?

I also have a mass flo

Jeff