28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     
Default CROSSROADS-Complete the car or Sell?

This has been a frustrating decision of mine for some time! I'm really stuck in my thoughts on what to do! I have steadily worked on collecting parts and components for my car for 4 years. I really never even thought about sellling tell this year and its racked my brain since. I feel more than fortunate to have what I do and like others before me I don't HAVE to sell, But. I'm young and have two young boys and no time. I do enjoy the time I get but it is far and between. I really enjoy more the times I take them out in my 66 2+2 and can spend time with them in it. The problem with the 2+2 is it's still a little too much of a hot rod for my boy's and wife to enjoy. I know it's a horrible problem, right. I had an offer earlier this year and if you will, it was a sure thing. The problem was there was a middle man and he wanted me to give it a way. I did'nt want to sell but asked for replacement costs since I have more time than money. I figured I still could have time to put off the Dream if you will. My car was what the buyer needed given all the new title and registration requirements! That in it's self is worth a lot! This got me thinking and got me looking at more "instant" prospects out there. One that me and my family could enjoy now.

My question is should I go forward and finish the car with the tastes and options I prefer. Or, should I sell as is and let the new owner complete it to his or hers own tastes? I know I would take a little beating on the car BUT given the wait time for my car and the parts I have, they would be way ahead!! I feel if I complete it, I take the chance of getting hurt more! With all the engine combos, rear end ratio's and colors, etc. What do you guys think?? Should I cover it up for years or sell to get something I can enjoy now?

Don't beat me up too bad, Thanks Matt.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

No one should beat you up on this one.

IMHO having almost been where you are now. I had an ERA on order and was going to begin the process of getting parts and build going. Then the wife said - you have 2 boys that need your time, go buy one. Took my me 2 seconds to do that.

While not the car I would have built, it is a damm good car and I am not sure that my enjoyment would have changed much with what I would have built instead of what I got.

My thought for you: Sell what you got going and purchase one that is ready to go. Be prepared NOT to get what you have into it. But also be prepared to not have to pay what you have into it for a good completed car. You will be in about the same spot money wise. You should be able to sell without a middleman involved.

just my 2c worth.

Jamie
Old 07-11-2007, 04:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Take some photos of what you've got, put together a comprehensive list of components and clearly state what is needed to finish the project. Then list it here and on Cobra Country. You should be able to recover all of your investment. The wait time for an ERA is at least 4 months, and the price has increased somewhat since you bought yours. There might be someone looking for just what you've got. A cobra country ad is $180.00 for the "showcase" ad in which they feature 3 photos or more. Curt Scott handles the web site and will give you good photo tips. I would try that for starters - if you get a buyer fine, if not. Just $180.00 invested. Good Luck. RD
Old 07-11-2007, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351W
Not Ranked     

I went thru the same dilema with (2) P-cars that I was building. Or a better discription would be - collecting parts to eventually build. I sold the cars with some parts & sold some parts separately. Probably lost money along the way (rule #1, never add up your receipts), but I have a built car coming (Midstate 351W) & more time to spend with my kids - everyone wins.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowan Replicars, out of business. 1974 351W. Edelbrock intake modest 9.7:1 compression. Waiting to fire it up but not finished.
Not Ranked     

I am in a similar situation but my car was started by my father back in 1987. He passed away about 6 years ago and I have it now. Since then I have been collecting parts and changing a few things that my father did to suit my preference, mainly the motor from a 429 down to a 351W. I have one child. I find little time to work on my car but it is slowly getting there. The difference in my story is that I don't have the money to buy a completed car and I would like to finish the car to fulfill my late fathers dream as well as mine. I barely have the money to put into my Cobra kit but spread out over the 6 years I patiently scanned ebay and adds for deals. My advise to you - You probably don't have the same sentimental issue in your car as I do. If you have the ability to buy a completed one now but are holding off due to personal preferences I would go ahead and buy a completed one and start having fun now. Life is short. Grab the chance to enjoy the dream as quickly as you can. You can always make changes to the car to suit your personal preference later. Just because a car is complete doesn't mean you can't spend time working on it.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

I think it's going to be hard to put off your boys childhood or to recover any time lost there.

Cars come and go and will wait without complaint.

LoBelly
Old 07-11-2007, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

I say finish the car, or at least take JWs advice and buy a finished car. Even though you have a family and enjoy spending time with them, sometimes you just need something to enjoy for yourself.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 07-11-2007, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My two children (now grown with children of their own) were always a part of my car hobby. My daughter is just as good at turning a wrench as my son. Whether helping me rebuild a carb in the garage or riding around in the nearly completed project, I tried to give them the opportunity to be a part of my hobby. They're not me and I'm not them. They probably don't "love" cars the way I do. But that's ok, because I got to be a part of their lives when they were growing up. Now that I have grandchildren I'm looking forward to doing it all over again.
Sam
Old 07-11-2007, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Don't let your car/kit be your curse. They are to drive and enjoy. Some would argue that once it's built the fun is over because building was the fun. Priorities certainly can change with time. For me, I bought a drivable car with some room for improvemnt. So I am learning as I go, driving it whenever I want usually, and loving it. For me though an unfinished car would be an overwhelming project collecting dust. Good luck, John
Old 07-11-2007, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You are exactly where I was about 15 years ago and I figured out how to get the best of both worlds. I kept plugging along on a non-donor component build. Sometimes the body would be hanging from the rafters and the frame and engine would be used for storage - for months at a time.

All three boys required a loooooot of time - actually my choice, not necessarily theirs. It took FOURTEEN years to get it on the road. It was actually the first Cobra I ever drove! It was worth every minute, hour, day, month, and year working on it. Unfortunately, it got stolen with less than 500 miles on it.

The next build took about 10 months and I'm driving it almost daily (with the Lojack).

I think that if you sell it now, you will never have your car. There will always be something that postpones it. When the kids are in bed, work on it for an hour a day. Don't have the goal of a finished car in mind, have the next step as a goal - wipers, hinges, driveshaft - whatever. Turn on the radio, get a glass of wine, a cup of coffee and plug away. It's worth it.

Don't give up.

Brian
Old 07-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I agree with post # 10. Maybe you can get the kids to help you work on it too. You may just help create two new mechanics/enthusiasts.
My dad had me help him with our family cars many years ago and it turned me into a car nut! I was always eager to help out, and after a few years I was fixing his car. My ERA 427 was delivered just two years ago and sometimes the build seems to endlessly drag on (see my gallery)...but it's getting close, maybe just another month or two. Keep the faith, as you will only think of what might have been, especially is you buy someone else's Cobra. And your boys will forever relate to the FIA Cobra they helped you build!
Old 07-12-2007, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Thanks Guy's for all the great responces and thoughts!! I new I wasn't the only one out there with this problem. It's just hard when you see a light at the end of the tunnel but its a long tunnel. I agree with the thoughts of having a little helper and future car guys to help. I'm trying to be patient but it's not one of my better traits. I think about other cars the family as a whole could enjoy and it makes this decision worse! I've been wanting a specific car for almost 20 years and it's so close but really too far! If the owner would ever decide to sell, I don't believe I could come close to getting it. Then I see 65 or 66 Mustang Convs. and it gets me thinking again. I must do something or my incredibly patient wife will give up! I Thank all for the great posts and I will figure it out! Thanks!! Matt.