Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default Repay Wounded American Soldiers

"All gave some, some gave all"...and some give all every day of their lives. This post is going to be long but if you are too apathetic to read it then so be it.

Operation Comfort www.operationcomfort.org has started a new program named "Automotivation" which involves using automotive projects for therapy and rehabilitative purposes. Brooks Army Medical Center (BAMC) is the utmost in care for severly injured soldiers and this program is being conducted outside of the facility in San Antonio.

On Wednesday, I met with many of the soldiers involved in this and realized that every American car enthusiast should participate in an effort to help out these heroic individuals. They come from "everytown" USA and their sacrifices will continue every day for the rest of their lives. Sacrifices that go far beyond political stances or every day issues.

These brave soldiers work daily on automative projects to increase their recovery. At present they are rebuilding a 1984 Ford Bronco into a dream car to be displayed at an upcoming SEMA show. They also have had a 1927 model "T" that they will be building into a street rod. In two weeks they will receive a 1969 Mercury Marauder and a motor home for their transportation.

THEY ARE DOING THIS WITH LITTLE OR NO TOOLS, PARTS OR MONITARY HELP. To see these heroes work with their handicaps breaks my heart. They do not want your sympathy or pitty but would like some help.

I am asking....no I am begging for the following things to happen.

Go to Sears and buy a gift card and send it to them so that We can furnish them the tools to help. I have their wish list and am in contact with Sears for their help.

Write a check to help this amazing organization to continue its work.

Create a link to this on every forum that you visit. get more people involved.

Talk to every car club and organization the you are affiliated with to see if they will participate.

Talk to the suppiers that you deal with and make them aware of this program.

Talk to any companies that you do business with and see if they will help.

If you have any contacts in publishing or magazines, try to get them involved.

Try anything you can think of to help these heroes improve their lives...because they tried to improve yours.

I am going to try and get every organization that I can think of to participate and have been successful with some already. There is SO MANY THINGS that they need or can use. I am finalizing a wish list and will post it as soon as I can.

Their address is
Automotivation
c/o Operation Comfort
4900 Broadway, suite 400
San Antonio, Texas 78212
phone 210-826-0500
web site WWW.operationcomfort.org

Thank you for you help and caring. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then these photos will leave you speechless. Thanks Ron (computerworks) for posting them.

If you have any questions my phone is 972-742-2594 and my email is
jdcobra427@sbcglobal.net. I am into this 24/7.

God Bless our American soldiers.
Attached Images

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005

Last edited by jayscobras; 07-13-2007 at 08:48 AM..
Old 07-13-2007, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Well I took a look at the first two pictures, went to the web site, said to myself, "got to remember to tell the wife to send a check," then I looked at the third picture... and then looked a little closer... and then started tearing up.

Check will be in the mail tomorrow morning, only because the wife has the check book and the post office will be closed by the time I have access to the check book.

Thanks Jay and please extend my thanks to the soldiers the next time you see them.

Who is John Galt?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

thank you for sharing this with us, Jay. I am sure so many here on CC will be so willing to get involved. I've oftened wondered how many vets are regular members here, and although we've had different threads about military service, I haven't seen anything on real numbers.

How many here have been wounded. How many here could have been, except for the grace of God....
This is such a wonderful organization created for the wounded, and I would be happy to help with this endeavor.
Do you think the organization would be willing to record the contributions from CC members? Such as a total tally on Gift Card donations and other contributions??
I will earmark my check with a notation regarding my membership in CC.
God Bless our Troops, and thank you again for sharing this worthy organization with us.
Kristen
Old 07-13-2007, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

You know I am there with my contribution and I think your big ole Texas heart is showing. These guys and gals are doing a job most of us can't imagine. We expect it to be done so we can buy our Cobra's, GT 40's, Vette's, and what ever else we think we need. Let's get serious about this and make an honest contribution that we would want done if one of these soldiers were our sons or daughters.

Thanks Jay for allowing us to participate in this venture.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-13-2007, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF136 427FE
Not Ranked     

My friend of 30yrs runs the nuclear medicine department at BAMC and he tells me stories of these men and women and how severly injured some of them are. They have an incredible rehab center for prostetics users and do remarkable things for those that have been burned. As trauma survival chances have increased due to rapid response and quality medical care available near the battle zones some of these vets are living with unbelievable injuries.
How different the public is now in their actions toward these men and women since Vietnam. It's about time. And to think that only 32years ago when I came back we were spit upon. Probably by some of the same people that helping now.

Please do all that you can for these men and women because they have given more.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

I have sent in my contribution. There but for the grace of God go I!
Thanks Jay for posting this.

Steve
Old 07-13-2007, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

As a retired Army helicopter pilot I want to thank Jay for all he is doing to help our injured soldiers. My check is in the mail. Jay is also doing some very personal things to help an individual disabled vet with working on his own car.

I belong to a local Mustang Club and after forwarding the link to the club president, they are getting involved. They are also sending the link to Mustang clubs across the country. If each of us were to get clubs or organizations that we belong to involved, just think how much help we could generate.

Dick
Old 07-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #89 Keith Craft Genesis 427 so, stroked to 482, 649 hp. Sabre GT 40 #16 351W stroked to 408, 527hp, TWM stack injection, Fast XFI, G50/50.
Not Ranked     

Outstanding Jay,

For as long as I can remember when I hear people talking about this car club the phrase most often used is "Its the people not the cars" well there is a reason for that and once again you have shown us why.

Thanks for taking the lead on this. I will get a donation out shortly.

John
Old 07-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

Great info Jay - what a great idea for rehab for the vets. Thanks for
providing the information on this group, I'm sure they will be getting plenty
more help as the word gets out. I'll be sending some Sears gift cards - you
can't beat the warranty on Craftsman tools!

I too am glad to see the public attitudes have changed for the better towards
our vets than what they were when I was in in the late 60's.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

GLAD TO HEAR THE CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG; YOU ROCK !!

See post on Hurricane Forum:

http://forum.hurricane-motorsports.c...1184389556/0#0
Old 07-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Thanks for bringing this to light ya old POS.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, as a VET (separated June 19, 2007) and a contractor at Camp Bucca, Iraq, still supporting, this is just awesome! I've forwarded the link to all my military friends, my contractor coworkers, and made this thread a sticky on the forums that I moderate. This is a very, very good cause! I will have my wife pick up a gift card and put it in the mail.

Thanks guys! I know your support is appreciated!

Josh

P.S. I also sent an email out to a friend at the local ford dealership. they are a very patriotic dealership and support the troops very well. We have several fallen soldiers in my very small town so they do all they can to support. I'd almost guarantee a nice contribution.

Last edited by fsstnotch; 07-13-2007 at 11:43 PM..
Old 07-15-2007, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default wish list items and ideas

These are items that I feel would benefit the soldiers other than the tool wish list that we are trying to obtain through Sears gift cards.

Garage art, banners, auto memorabelia, signed pics of celebrities, die cast cars, etc.

two or more vynil recliners

For the Bronco build
brake system upgrade
tires and wheels
6" lift kit
paint booth supplies
5 point racing harness black or orange
fuel safe fuel cell
KC lights
custom bumpers
Ron Francis wiring harness
410 gear sets (2)
Rancho shocks with orange boots
Train horn

I have already aquired a big shop fan and a cooler fan for their working comfort. Coca Cola is taking care of their soft drinks and water.

Just about anything you can imagine they can use.

I will start posting thanks to those who have donated next week and will be returning there in about two weeks to deliver the Mercury.

Please help. It amazes me how few views have occured in contrast to some inane threads on this site.

Jay Nordstrom
972-742-2594

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 07-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

It falls off the page, Jay.
Maybe a STICKY??? If you ask real nice like maybe you'll get one...

I will send a check. Maybe you can select several things from the above list.
If it works I will try to be a part of your caravan, whether the Maurader delivery or at a later date.

Kristen

oh, and TTT!!!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Jay you needed to give this thread a really important title like "cobras suck & vetts rule" or "there are no real Cobras because they all were AC Bristol" and you would have already had a thousand views and a hundred posts.

Dick
Old 07-15-2007, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

I volunteered for the draft back in the day because I thought it was the right thing to do, before I realized that politicians tell us anything to get us to support their illegal, immoral wars. So I'm not a war supporter in general, but I will always support the troops who give their all for us. This is a great opportunity for us to assist some of our wounded vets in a very personal way, so they can get involved in building interesting machinery, just like most of us. Just a thought, but how about Club Cobra donating to good, entry-level Cobra project for them? In the meanwhile, my check is in the mail to San Antonio. Rich
Old 07-16-2007, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 S/C 351W stroked to 396, by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Checked out the site

Went to the site today, and saw that they accept paypal, which for me works out real good, as I am not a real big ebay user or seller, but I keep enough in there to buy small items, or when I sell stuff. I like the idea about them needing garage stuff also. So y'all need to look around in the garage and send them some posters as I am sure a few of y'all have some Cobra related art (you think ) laying around. Send it to them and maybe convert some of them over to Blue Oval power

Mike
Old 07-16-2007, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Here is the article in Sundays Tulsa World that I told you about, Jay:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...A12_hDiff04584

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Cobra - Keith Craft 428 stoker, 600 HP/614 Trq
Send a message via AIM to COACH MIKE Send a message via Yahoo to COACH MIKE
Not Ranked     

Jay:
My check is in the mail. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Pass on my gratitude for their sacrifices.
Coach Mike
Old 07-17-2007, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 165 392 Ford Crate 430HP
Not Ranked     

Just saw this today will paypal some money for a worth while cause, its a shame our soldiers have to suffer for the will of a couple of politicians who couldn't shoot a bullet straight if their life depended on it, case in point Cheney