Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     
Default Roush 427SR Carb Replacement Recommendations

I need some thoughts on replacing the Holley Avenger Carb on my Roush 427SR. I am not a fan of vacuum secondaries. I am contemplating going with a Holley 4150 "double pumper" from Pro Systems for better throttle response
Thoughts?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

I doubt that very many folks here can give you any better info that Patrick can from Pro Systems .

He recommended and then custom built two carbs for me and I would return again when in need . both were perfect .

For me, whatever he recommended is what i would go with . My $. 02 anyway. Bill
Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Here's another positive recommendation for Patrick. I have one of his carbs on my FMS 460 - runs like a top.

Another recommendation is Henry at Oles Carb - he's pro-Demon and has worked magic with these carbs. About a year ago, a fellow Cobra owner with a 427 Roush was having pains with this Holley - we went to see Henry, and he installed a Mighty Demon, tweeked/tuned it a bit, and the 427 ran perfectly - no stumble, just smooth and powerful.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

I would talk to a carb expert first about your current carb, before switching. You'll usually get much better throttle response from a vacuum secondary carb than a double pumper. Putting another carb on might help, but you'd only be putting on a carb that setup closer to what your car needs, not that it was "better" than what you had.

I just spent 2 weeks custom tuning my carb on my CSX. It was a PITA, but it needed a lot of adjustment work for my engine. Now the car runs awesome.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 07-14-2007, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Buy one from Pro-Systems. I have two from them.
Here's a Pro-Systems Carb on a Roush 427R, DA 2100 ft, The car since has trapped over 130 mph with the same carb DA 1800 ft.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...e+Exotic&hl=en

My engine came with a double pumper from Roush, I tried a Holley 870 Avenger vacuum secondary(waste of time and money for me) and the Pro-Systems double pumper last. There is zero comparison. The Pro-System carb spanks the others badly. Operation is smooth, perfect at any throtle position any rpm above 1200 rpm(single plane intake) and without glitch. It hits instantly if you stomp it too.

Last edited by greg schroeder; 07-14-2007 at 08:15 AM..
Old 07-15-2007, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

THanks for your feedback...Greatly appreciated