Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2007, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default Wife's hair question?

Well if my wife rides with me, I'm sure I will choose to drive the Cobra much more often. With that said, to the question. The wind tangles my wife's hair. She has very fine, straight, long hair (about boob length). Now mind you she hasn't complained yet, but I'm being proactive. Any tips you all could pass along on how to reduce or manage this would be appreciated.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

I think you have 2 options.......

#1. shave her head
#2. trade her in
Old 07-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

Pony tail sticking out the back of a Summit Racing or Jegs cap. Or-go crazy and buy her a Cobra hat of her own.

My wife has trouble with this too...has tried visors and different lengths of haircuts, etc. The wind in the passenger compartment swirls around, so you'll just have to experiment.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Maybe braid it temporarily into a pony tail? I have seen many women with their hair tucked through the opening in the back of a baseball cap.

Good luck

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 07-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile Hair

Buy her a leather pilot's helmet. Works for me.

Dwight

Old 07-15-2007, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

The wind comes from the back, hits the front window then goes out the sides. So you are trying to block the back. The more flaps you put into the wind on the front window the greater the back flow will be. If you have a pass roll bar you can put a mesh net "under the hoop" similar to what you would see on a Porsh or M-Benz convertable. You can also us a piece of plexi-glass in, do a rough cut with a jig saw then use a router to get a good edge. Put a few elongated holes in 1/4" from the sides and top and use velco cable wrap to secure it to the roll bar. (all available at home depot)

Hey Dwight, is your paint color Waffle House yellow

Last edited by Rwillia4; 07-15-2007 at 07:41 PM..
Old 07-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to flyboy1997
Not Ranked     

I have noted this site for when I got mine on the road ( with two roll bars ) beaumontmetalworks.com ( if memory is correct, mag article is in shop if needed ) makes a kit for this already cut & sized with mounting kit. Did not say price but plexie-glass & all .
Old 07-15-2007, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwillia4
You can also us a piece of plexi-glass in, do a rough cut with a jig saw then use a router to get a good edge. Put a few elongated holes in 1/4" from the sides and top and use velco cable wrap to secure it to the roll bar. (all available at home depot)
Interesting Idea. How thick on the plexi-glass?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight
Buy her a leather pilot's helmet. Works for me.

Dwight

I'm afraid to show her this one.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Send a message via AIM to Tinker51
Not Ranked     

I will second the pony tail sticking out the opening of a ball cap but then tuck the exposed pony tail down the back of her shirt or place a band every few inches to keep it together. Those are the two tricks my female friends use.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Go to a Harley shop.They have these leather tube-like thingies" for chicks with long hair.They incase the pony tail with snaps on the leather.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Have a nice long braid down the back, ball cap on top. Works every time. Wont mess or tangle or get knots, trust me on this one.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Paint:Metalflakes Royal and Abalone stripes registered in France in 1973. Engine: Ford Shelby aluminium block, 482; two 4-barrels 600cfm Holley; Edelbrock Performer Aluminium heads,,fluid damper,4-speeds Aluminium Toploader (short), 2.88rear
Send a message via Skype™ to BOURRET
Not Ranked     

After more than 40 000 miles in a Cobra and having long hair, I can confirm that I have no problem with tangled hair; for driving, I always braid my hair and put over a white thin leather helmet (pilot style) in summer. I boought this helmet from Europa Cie.This is really not a problem. In summer this also protects me against the sun. And in cold weather, I trade my helmet for a big fur helmet (a "chapka"), the russian style warm helmet.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

My wife just grabs one of those clip things and pulls her hair on top of her head and twist it a few times and then puts this clip in to hold it all together. Then when we get where we are going she pulls off the clip and runs a brush through it a time or two and voilla! Not after 5 quality hair but not bad either.

Bourret,

In case you forgot we are still counting on you to attend Run and Gun in October! I think we spoke about this last year sometime. Here is our link just in case:

http://www.runngun.net

check out the forum to if you have time.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-16-2007, 06:00 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewell
I think you have 2 options.......

#1. shave her head
#2. trade her in
Option #3

http://www.stazzon.com/cart/product....2&cat=2&page=1
Old 07-16-2007, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Hair

Not to worry..
Get a comp windscreen and she won't worry about her hair.
She'll be too busy trying to control her cheeks from flapping in the breeze.
That usually happens at about 6500 RPM's in any gear right after the first bug hits her teeth.
Totally not a wifes favorite ride.
Mine was in 4027 at speed once. That was enough. And, she's a driver that like to go fast(Skip Barber etc). Just doesn't like shotgun in a COBRA

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 07-16-2007, 06:43 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

My wife has the same problem.

She pulls her hair back in a ponytail and then covers her head with a ball cap ( with a clip on the back )

The hoody works very well, but can be warm.

A farmers hat works, but is anoying if you get cross winds.

A dew rag works very well and my wife uses it with equal suscess. Dew rags she uses are: a large kerchief tied about the head and tucked in the back or a biker cap that is prefitted to a persons head.

One last hat that works is a watch cap, but is warm.

My wife drives about a third of the time when we are out and about, so we have experimented with other methods to keep her hair from getting tangled.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Default My wife has short hair...

My hair is about as long as my wifes. She's worn it very short for years, but she has yet to even set foot in the Cobra. Never asked for a ride, much less to drive it.

I like it that way...!
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392cobra
Fred,

Where in the hell do you come up with these things???

Mine also uses the clipped pony tail out the back of a Cobra ball cap with some real nice wrap around sun glasses to keep the "strays" from whipping into her eyes. But on long cruises, she's adding Bose noise canceling headphones to keep the hat on at high speeds. She gets so comfortable at times she'll nod off. Also, her ears won't ring for hours afterward.
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302
Old 07-16-2007, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     

Like Will Rogers said...

"I just watch government and report the facts."

I can't make this stuff up...truth is stranger than fiction.
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 07-16-2007 at 08:05 AM..