Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     
Default Selling car/craigslist.

Can someone explain to me exactly what someone would do with you VIN number? I am selling a car on craigslist and I recieved a bunch of interest responses inquiring about my VIN#. Of course I would never give it to someone, but more I'm wondering what they would do with it once I gave it to them.

Dane
Old 07-18-2007, 04:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With a VIN one can run a "check" on the car thru Carfax or anyone of a couple of other similar services to see if the car is/was stolen/had any prevouis damage/salvage title, and a host of other things........in some states you can do the same thru your local DMV office........

David
Old 07-18-2007, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

If you are selling something other than a Cobra, like an early Muscle car, many times the original configuration can be determined to see if the car is as it should be...i.e. a 428 Mustang that originally was a 302. While there are certain details that can be seen when examining the car, many times it will save a lot of time if the engine code doesn't match the engine installed.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA; 331 stroker; TKO 600:3.54 Rear
Not Ranked     

To run a car fax vehicle history check. I had a dealer in Arizona really trying to sell me a Mercedes 230 and when I ran the vin on a Carfax check, it had been bought off auction after being returned by the original owner as a "Lemon". This will show accident history and ownership history. Invaluable for someone researching a used vehicle.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Or, they can have a key made and drive your car away in the middle of the night. Sorry......sleep tight........

Roscoe
Old 07-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Or, they can have a key made and drive your car away in the middle of the night. Sorry......sleep tight........
Roscoe;

Forgot about that one, I remember some years ago going to a Ford dealer for a spare key for my wife's car, he said he needed the VIN, got it for him and got a key..........a few years later I needed a key for another Ford vehicle,this time they wanted the warranty card and would not make a key without the card.........maybe they are learning and requiring more info now........

I sold a car thru one of the car sites about 5 years ago and gave the VIN when asked, I didn't worry about it, sold it to the second guy that checked on it........

David
Old 07-18-2007, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

running a vin# check could also help identify internet scammers, i.e. to see if the seller name matches the title. I always request it so that I can check the title history, & verify that the seller is legit.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There is no reason not to give out the VIN. I wouldn't consider buying a car from someone who wouldn't give it out as they are probably trying to hide something.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So there is nothing bad that could come out of me giving it to someone...good. It just seemed like a ballsey request from someone who hadnt even seen the car yet. BTW, it sold. Craigslist kicks ass.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
There is no reason not to give out the VIN. I wouldn't consider buying a car from someone who wouldn't give it out as they are probably trying to hide something.
Agreed, I would want to run a check on the car for "prior's".......also with the VIN you can run it on NADA or Kelly Blue Book and get a idea of it's value vs. the selling price..........

David
Old 07-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

BEWARE OF CRAIG'S LIST. I recently tried to sell a car and the majority of the emails were scams. Don't let indirect buyers near the car. Forget about mailed cashier's checks.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pipes
BEWARE OF CRAIG'S LIST. I recently tried to sell a car and the majority of the emails were scams. Don't let indirect buyers near the car. Forget about mailed cashier's checks.
That is true for ANY form of advertisment. Scammers are everywhere including your local newspaper. Cashiers checks are absolutely useless (unless you accompany them to THEIR bank, have the funds put in YOUR name and record the tellers name as a witness to the transaction).
Old 07-19-2007, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I felt the majority of the emails were scams, and they all wanted the VIN. It just seemed odd to me.

The guy who bought the car gave me a personal check, but we are not giving him the car until the check clears. I gave him the title immediately so he could get insurance and go to DMV to get plates. This seemed like the best way, is there a better way?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotic
Not Ranked     

I did just the opposite when I bought my Cobra...I got the car and a bill of sale, he got my personal check. Then I got title when check cleared. I had a letter from my bank to honor my check. Was going to get a cashier check but I forgot Monday was a Holiday(Labor day I think). We went to his bank to handle the transaction. All worked out welll, just couldn't title or insure it for about a week or ten days...that was the tough part . Waiting to drive it was pure hell...it did get waxed and detailed several times however and started about every hour on the hour to listen to it and just sit in it.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You all should also know there is a new form of identity theft going around.

It seems the bad guys are steeling cars and going to parking lots and getting the VIN #'s from other similar type cars. Then they are putting those VIN numbers on the stolen cars and then selling the stolen ones.

This is a very big deal here in Dallas.

I have had a slip of paper over my VIN # on the dash for almost two years now. I do realize The State of Texas is STUPID as hell and puts the last 8 or 9numbers on the registration sticker that is on our windshields.

But as we all know the government is known for doing everything they can to aid the criminals.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

The title is the legal document which shows ownership of the car.

The car in your possession only equates to the statement that possession = 9/10th's of the law or sumpin like that.

Should always ask for a certified bank check from a known bank in the area.

Did you sell your Cobra?

P.S. Roscoe points out the only downside to the VIN. Keep the car garaged.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd
That is true for ANY form of advertisment. Scammers are everywhere including your local newspaper. Cashiers checks are absolutely useless (unless you accompany them to THEIR bank, have the funds put in YOUR name and record the tellers name as a witness to the transaction).
This is the safest way to sell a car. A cashier's check is drawn on the bank , not the person. They can only issue one if the funds are in the seller's account. If you are in the bank and witness it's issue, you know you have a legitimate check. There is no better way except for cash.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes,
However cashiers checks can have stop payments put on them. Just because you witness the check being printed out does not mean it will be any good in five minutes. The party that purchased the cashiers check OWNS that check until it is deivered and rendered for payment. At ANY time after the check has been made until the check has been surrendered for payment it can have a stop payment placed on it.

Then can also be forged and or stolen.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 165 392 Ford Crate 430HP
Not Ranked     

Looks like cash is still king just make sure its real need one of those markers, I have always gave up the title only when I have the cash in hand=no checks etc as in todays world you never know, a signed title = ownership in most states .. what a shame... I wonder if the old handshake deal really existed or maybe when they were shaking with one hand the other was in your pocket checking for loose change