LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2007, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     
Default SPF or GT500KR

Wanted to get some opinions.

I may actually be able to get one of the 1000 KR's being built next year. In order to pay for it I would have to sell my SPF. For the sake of discussion lets assume I can get the KR for MSRP, but wouldnt sell it for a profit because I'd be calling in a favor to get it if that makes any sense. OK I'm sure that doesnt make sense, but just roll with it

I love the SPF for all of the reasons that make a cobra what it is, but it would be nice to have a back seat for the little man to go on fun trips with the wife and I. I like the GT500 and the KR, but to quote my wife 'its just another mustang'.

Thanks

Daryl
Old 07-19-2007, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2459 460ci, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Boy, I hate it when wives are right.

BINGO "it's just another Mustang"
Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Daryl,

There has to be another suitable vehicle (with a back seat) that allows the Cobra to live. Besides think of your son. Which would he rather inherit???

Keep the SPF!

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 07-19-2007 at 10:05 AM..
Old 07-19-2007, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 434, Paxton blown
Not Ranked     

Two VERY different vehicles.............. Which do YOU prefer?
Mike
Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1358 Silver/Black stripes 466 2X4
Not Ranked     

I have a similar, but different situation, I would like a GT350r clone and would have to sell my SPF for it....and would do it...but the insignificant other does not agree...and says it's just a mustang...If you have a chance at a 500kr go for the mustang...

Tony

Last edited by Tony Aprile; 07-19-2007 at 01:27 PM..
Old 07-19-2007, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2482 Shelby/Roush 427
Not Ranked     

I would look at it a couple of different ways. I don't believe the GT500KR is just another Mustang. It is the 40th anniversary addition of a very special car in history, and should hold or increase in value. Having said that, if someone drove it every day, racked up a ton of miles on it, and had a bunch of dinks on it, it would be a lot closer to "just a Mustang". I would only buy the KR if I was able to drive it very little, and treat it as an investment. That would also take out all the fun that most people bought their Cobra's for. If I was in the market to get a high performance Mustang to enjoy with the family, I would lean towards a Roush Stage 3. Little less expensive,(without a deal). Just my thoughts.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by T E Lewis
Boy, I hate it when wives are right.

BINGO "it's just another Mustang"
"just another Mustang" as opposed to the gazillion Cobra replicas out there??

You can always buy another SPF at pretty much any point in time. You may only get this one chance to own a 1 of 1000 limited edition, 600hp factory built kick ass musclecar.

I'd get the KR, without hesitation.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 07-19-2007, 11:01 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Daryl,

This is what I would do, wait a minute it is what I'm going to do. First keep your SPF or in my case BDR. Buy a Mustang GT and throw a little money at it, Roush supercharger, smaller pulley, rechip and bang you have yourself a nice ride. Or another option is buy a GT500 and spend about 1k for some parts and you will have 570 or so rear hp. Probably come out a little cheaper in the long run. That is my 2 cents worth.

Bill

www.gcperf.com
Old 07-19-2007, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blittleton
Daryl,

This is what I would do, wait a minute it is what I'm going to do. First keep your SPF or in my case BDR. Buy a Mustang GT and throw a little money at it, Roush supercharger, smaller pulley, rechip and bang you have yourself a nice ride. Or another option is buy a GT500 and spend about 1k for some parts and you will have 570 or so rear hp. Probably come out a little cheaper in the long run. That is my 2 cents worth.

Bill
There is no comaparison between a modded GT and a GT500. I build both all day long.

You are right about buying a regular GT500 and modding it though. Check out the post in this section I made the other day about dynoing a GT500.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 07-19-2007, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

Bite the bullet and keep the SPF and get the KR. Nothing like having several toys.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys,

I apprecaite the input. I'm going to see if I cant figure out how to keep the SPF, and get a base GT500 + pulley tune and CAI at some point next year (yes Sal I did see your post )The KR is interesting, but it the price is justified only by the exclusivity. I have to admit when there was a possibility the thought of 'wow I might own 1 of 1000' grabs your attention right quick.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

watch for the mods on the 500- void that warranty and not too good!!

for a toy WITH the Cobra??? A FUN mustang gt. so it's not the same as the 500, or the 500KR or.....whatever, but you CAN take along the wife and the little man.

With my 500 I can pick up second son, and both girls and we are set to go. Hubby? the F250. oh boy. first son?? '96 toyota.
who wins??!!!

if it's an either or, then keep the cobra and get a more moderately priced stang. The gt's look nice. or... even a Shelby gt. not quite as much as a 500, more than a stock gt.
you've got several options, but how to keep both. that's the trick to collecting toys!

good luck!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Cars are not good investments! Don't kid yourself.

I think we could agree that an original 427 Cobra went up in value more than just about any other car you can think of. Original purchase price was about $5000 and I have heard of them selling for well under $500,000. The stock market from 1967 to 2007 averaged about a 12% return on investment (I did not verify these numbers so they are not facts). Had you invested that same $5000 for 40 years with a 12% average return, you would have $465,255 and not had to spend another dime on it. The Cobra may be the only car that could have equalled an investment. Most of the others are a huge loss of money.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keep the SPF, get the KR - drive it for a year or so, and if you start to feel the financial pinch - sell the KR - It should hold much of it's value for a year or so. In a way, you'll be driving the Mustang for FREE!. Since prices for these cars will be well above MSRP for quite some time (and since you said you'll be able to get your KR at MSRP).

As a reference - take a look at Z06's. Their MSRP was around 65K when the C-6's came out. Most dealers sold them at 10K or 15K over MSRP - and there was a waiting list to buy! Now that same 2006 Z06 with low miles can be had on the used market for 60K. In effect - if those owners bought their car new in 2006 (at 10K over MSRP) then drove it for a year and now sells it for 60k - they paid 15 thousand dollars for 1 year of driving (plus taxes and insurance).

But if you can actually get the KR at MSRP - you should be able to unload it (if you have to) for the next couple of years at close to the MSRP - in effect driving it for free! I know it's a little twisted - but these cars will be selling well above MSRP for the first 2 years for sure.

Besides - no matter what happens - you can still pull up to the Ford dealership in your SPF and drive them all crazy!