LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     
Default Hal Keck to be honored at Watkins Glen

Many of you recall that we lost Hal Keck earlier this year; Hal was one of the great Cobra race drivers of the 60's.

Quote:
Harold M. Keck, 75, of Lower Saucon Township died Monday, January 8, 2007 at the St. Luke's Hospital, Fountain Hill. ...In 1965, he was 1st in class, 2nd overall at Daytona International Speed Way for Ford and Shelby American. Also in 1965, he was an A-Production National Champion and was a multi Pennsylvania Hill Climb Champion.
Published in The Express Times on 1/9/2007.
I have been speaking with ClubCobra member, SS COBRA, who was close friends with Hal and his family.

Quote:
Hal raced a Corvette in the late 50's and early 60's.He was also biulding a Lister/ Corvette, but never really was completed. Hellertown Ford received a Cobra CSX2000 series, I think it was a 260, I know it had the Weber Carbs and was blue.
He raced that for them in SCCA and PHA.One time he finished 9th at Sebring, the highest finish by a private entry. I remember when he and Nancy received the CSX3008 from Archway Ford and was sponsored by Crown Oil.
That's when we first really got to know them and their family. Spent many days and hours with them over the years and attended many races with them. Raced basically in the northeast, Watkins Glenn,Cumberlin, Marlboro, Pocono Raceway, Limerock, Thompson, Reading,Etc.
In 1968 they bought a Z28 from us and we Hillclimbed that car and sometimes the Cobra too. It was working on the cars weeknights and racing weekends.
What a life... at that time we just did it and knew no different. Can remember loading the cars, spares, tools on Friday night until 11:00 pm, going home for some sleep and getting on the road Saturday at 5:00am to race that day and most times Sunday too.
Hal drove for Shelby at Daytona in a Daytona coupe (#13) and finished 3rd overall and 1st in class. You had to know Hal to understand him, and when you did he was like a father and brother.Hal and Nancy were always together and would do almost anything for you. But when it was raceday, he was there for one reason, to win, and he did that often. My wife and I have always felt special to be part of their team and family.
Last fall, the Keck Family found out Hal qualified for a plaque at Watkins Glen "Walk of Fame", and were going to sponsor the plaque to be presented to him this Sept 7th 2007 during the "Grand Prix Festival of Watkins Glen". Although Hal passed away in January, the plaque is still going to be presented during the festival and his family is planning to attend.

It would be great for a group from Club Cobra to attend the event.

Details on the event can be found at The Grand Prix Festival of Watkins Glen

SS COBRA has some pictures from the 60's and we were able to get some of the slides scanned for posting.

Keck Family photo taken at a hillclimb in Pa.( spring 1969) on the back of the towing rig. Nancy, Hals wife in white outfit, then Susie,daughter, Lynn and Jay,sons.

Hillclimb Spring '69 SS COBRA's wife sitting in the Z with Lynn with the Cobra hauler behind.

Jim Dantzer, bending over was engine builder,and anything to do with #88, That's SS COBRA standing up.

Hillclimb Spring Z28, That's Jim Dantzer bending over, Hal standing behind the fender.The Z28,Hauler and the nose of CSX3008

Remember the date, September 7, 2007.... at the Glen.

Last edited by computerworks; 08-01-2007 at 08:07 PM..
Old 08-01-2007, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 342 Stroker, 400hp
Not Ranked     

Ron, thank you, I've forwarded this on to the Keck family and I know if Hal saw this he'd have some smart a$$ comment to make. I hope we can receive more information from them about the racing days in the near future.

Thanks again
SS COBRA
Lau
Old 08-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

...and thanks to you for the updated info about the event at the Glen.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some of the names in the "Walk of Fame" include Jim Clark, Dan Gurney, Phil Hill, Mariro Andretti and Mark Donohue. Hal often commented that he and Mark went through SCCA Lic. school together. Cobra history should be proud of Hal's victories with his Cobra, including the Glenn.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys!

I was only going to go down for Saturday and Sunday, but now I'll make sure that I'm there that Friday also.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Hey Roushac!
You better be there Friday! We are going up Thursday. Friday is the best day.
JB
Old 08-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

See you guys there, JB!

Are you staying at the same place? I'm going to try doing the "commute" back home each night.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tried to leave Florida to make, what we feel is an important event,and part of the Cobra History. Any one that attends, please take some photos and Email them to me or post them. And please introduce yourself to Nancy, Jay, Susie and Lynn Keck, they would welcome meeting you...tell them Pat and Lau say "hello".
Old 09-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

sEE yEZ UP THERE. Will be at the Lodge for Happy Hour