Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default Nice drift video

on an awesome new video service as well
http://video.zeop.com/Video.asp?VideoID=203
Old 08-12-2007, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     

playstation III has awesome graphics.
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 08-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX 4039
on an awesome new video service
...you do know that's make-believe, don't you?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

OK, I have to 'fess up and ask what to most is probably a dumb question. What is the point of this whole drifting thing? Is it a race? Do you actually have to beat the other guy to the finish line? Is it a style thing, where you see which guy can hang the a$$ end of his car out there the furthest without losing it? I just don't get the whole thing.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks
...you do know that's make-believe, don't you?
Well, no.
I didn't know that was from PS3, and no, that sure looked like real footage to me. Are you sure it's not???
Old 08-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah, PS3 is make believe! Wow, those are some spectacular graphics. Whats the point of Drifting? Like you've never had a car sideways on the snow or a dirt road or felt the back end come around when you 'nail it' and LOVED it! I bet most of us have, it's that kind of thing taken to the extreme level. Just let it all hang out, get r sideways, have some fun, boil the hides!

I played GT3 on PS2 a LOT (got ALL the cars and a ton of money). The 427 Cobra is easily the most difficult car to control in that game. It WANTS to get sideways and backwards if you even think about nailing the throttle.

Last edited by Excaliber; 08-12-2007 at 07:38 PM..
Old 08-12-2007, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX 4039
Well, no.
I didn't know that was from PS3, and no, that sure looked like real footage to me. Are you sure it's not???
Okay. Watched it again, I guess I figured it out when the camera did a 360 around the white car. But, other than that, I have to say, it had me fooled.
Pretty soon we're not gonna need Cobras. Just go in the holographic home theater and put on our cyber driving gloves and Ray-Ban's and hang on. If you wrap it around a tree- no problemo.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #243 - 351W stroked to 418
Not Ranked     

According to an article in Car & Driver, this version of GT is far from release. The story illustrated the problems with creating a "game" this deep. The challenges are unbelievable, as you might imagine.
I'm currently running a PC based simulator called GTR 2 complete with racing seat & Logitech pedals & wheel. It's possibly the most realistic sim I've ever owned .. but not as much fun as Gran Turismo.
But it will fill the gap between GT4 and GTHD.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey
What is the point of this whole drifting thing?

Its a fantastic job of marketing by the tire companies.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"Drifting" is just a glorified terminology of what Ken Miles used to refer to as "cornering."
Old 08-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Durt got that one right!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt
According to an article in Car & Driver, this version of GT is far from release. The story illustrated the problems with creating a "game" this deep. The challenges are unbelievable, as you might imagine.
I'm currently running a PC based simulator called GTR 2 complete with racing seat & Logitech pedals & wheel. It's possibly the most realistic sim I've ever owned .. but not as much fun as Gran Turismo.
But it will fill the gap between GT4 and GTHD.
Hey, thanks for the tip. My kid's birthdays are next month. Bought GT2 on ebay for $19 and am bidding on two logitech wheels for 1/2 price. Can you play with two drivers on the same computer? I couldn't tell.
Both my kid's LOVE to drive (gonna be 9 & 11). They steer the family car down our street, and go kart when we go on vacation. They will both get a Corvette (older, or leased, or both- but they don't know that) if they get perfect SAT scores. (Actually, one wants a Porsche), Question- with the "107 driving lessons" on the GT2 game, will it help teach them to be good, responsible drivers in the real world, moreso than if they didn't play the game??
Thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe the Playstation 3 can only run one wheel & pedal set - but I never really investigated otherwise. I can't imaging using these games with a hand controller. I've never run GT2 and I highly recommend GT3 and 4. Each game got progressively more realistic. You should be able to get either one new for $20 bucks.
The "driving lessons" on GT3 & 4 are basically proficiency tests to get you acclimated to the dynamics of the game and also to make you "earn" licenses to unlock more tracks & access more cars. They are good tutorials on basic driving skills - but keep in mind, it IS a racing sim ... so I don't know how much they'll learn about being responsible drivers. Also - when you go flying into the woods, the consequences aren't quite as dire as in real life.

One of the knocks on the GT series is the lack of damage in crashes. You can pretty much play bumper car penalty free. But as the developer pointed out, to scan damaged cars & incorporate all variations of wreckage would take a year per car. As it is, they've lowered their number of available cars in GTHD due to the time involved in digitizing each car, from multiple angles in high definition. GT4 has about 500, and most of them are either multiples of Japanese racers (Supras, Skylines, etc...) or stupid stuff like Jay Leno's Tank Car, 1910 Oldsmobiles or even a Nike electric car. Please. If GTHD has 100 really cool cars, it will be plenty.
I just hope for one thing - they improve the engine sounds. They're really synthetic. The Cobra sounds like a protracted goose fart. My PC sim has actual samples of Porsches, Vipers, Ferarris and Vettes, and I'm running it through a stereo in my garage ... LOUD. For all the time being expended on GTHD, I hope they don't neglect that part of the experience.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

GT3 is really tough to play at the higher levels. I was using a steering wheel and pedals, but I broke it from 'slamming' the wheel from lock to lock to hard. I've been using the basic controller ever since (to brutal on a steering wheel I guess... ). Rumor has it some professional drivers were using the game for training purposes and I can believe that! Just setting up the car (mandatory at the higher levels) requires you to be a decent mechanic. Gear ratios, suspension settings, engine mods, tire selection and pit stops are tough to naildown!

I went back to the license test after I was 'really good' at the game and was surprised at how hard those license tests are to complete, even for a veteran!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I honestly believe I'd feel right at home at Laguna Seca. I bet I've "driven" it 1000 times.
Nurburgring? THAT track is scary.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

It's fun to watch a televised race on a course where you've never been and know all the corners and markers like you raced it many times. Oh wait, you HAVE raced it many times (in cyberspace)! LOL Wouldn't you like to run an endurance race in GT4 on the Nurburgring then drive it in real life just to see how much you remembered of the corners?

Steve
Old 08-13-2007, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've 'driven' hours and hours on the Green Hell, and it STILL makes me nuts. 14 mile laps, 172 corners, blind Left handers, right handers, elevation changes. Hard to believe it was a Formula 1 course until the 80s.
Looks like someone's large intestine!

Old 08-13-2007, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

I think the hole drifting deal is about car control the guys who are really pro,s at this form of auto sport really are great drivers,the piont is the show the driver that starts behind mimics the car in front while trying to pass you cant go straight or pionts are deducted you get pionts for driving style and crossing the finish first .I used to hate it but its kinda growing in popularity its just another thing to do with your car i guess.the pros really go pretty fast at this 100+ while hanging it out and keeping it out,yea we have all hadm sideways but to keep it ther the hole corse is some well healed drivers.ther car guys and so am i just a different branch like the lowriders or nascar or scca ,rod@custom its all cool in its own right.ther havin fun just like us.thers my 2 cents
Old 08-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When I watch a race at Laguna Seca I have a whole new respect for the 'cork screw' after playing GT3. It's a corner you try not to loose time on but NEVER try to make time up, tip toe through that rascal.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

What does this have to do with Cobras????