23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Which Cobra is best for me? All Opinions welcome..

I am in the beginning researching stage and have a few kit builders I am looking at. So far just gathering first round of information.
FFR, Pacific Roadster, Hurricane motorsports, B&B and Power Performance Motor Cars.

I have not seen any of these cars in person yet but after I get to the top 2 or 3 builders I will try even if I have to make some overnight trips. Maybe make a family weekend trip especially since the wife is 100% behind me for building a Cobra. Just have to find which one I want to build.

Let me state the type of build I want and maybe you guys can help eliminate or add to my keep list.

1. I want to enjoy the build, so I don't want to have to fabricate (weld) much since that is out of my experience. I don't mind turning wrenchs or even drilling some of the infinite holes the FFR cars require but if there is an easier/better build I want to consider.

2. I want to have good support whether it be from the company or a we forum support from its customers.

3. I am no body person so less body prep work is better. Although I understand some will be required or I will have to pay for it to get done.

4. donor/new/used is not a big factor as long as the end car is solid. Not settled on drive train yet. Even considered a Bowtie drive but that is not etched in stone. (PLEASE don't throw stones at me either. Wait if I actually do.)

5. Cheaper is always important but since I am putting it together I don't want to sacrifice quality/simplicity for a lower price tag.

I am sure if I asked any of the listed companies they would all give me why I should buy theirs but maybe some experienced kit builders will give my their own personal build stories/nightmares. PM me if you don't want to say something bad over the public forum's.

Thanks
Robert
Old 09-22-2007, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

A & C makes a kit that the body comes out with a gel coat in any color you want, like a boat, so it doesn't need any, maybe buffing, bodywork.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 09-22-2007, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mark III, Carbed Explorer 302
Not Ranked     

Robert,

Lots of great companies out there, spend some time visiting different factories if possible. Things can look great via internet and be a joke in person (do your homework). You will spend money and time (believe me you will spend more of both than you think) and know where your thresh hold of pain for both is. If you are interested in doing the actual build, visit other builders in person, then you will be able to judge the project & make new friends that will be able to help you when you get stuck. And YOU WILL GET STUCK!, don't care what you build...

I have a Factory Five Mark III Roadster and have been building it over the past 28 months, "been coloring outside the lines" (Non-donor with a few custom mods). FFR crowd hangs out over at FFCobra.com and will help with any FFR related question especially when it comes to spending your money on upgrades.

Here's a link to my build log , wish I could tell you I was done but life comes at you and the Cobra is the last thing I get to do MY Cobra Build

Good Luck, Pat
Proud owner of FFR1004630RD '01 Explorer 302, FRPP B-Cam, Holley S/A 670, HD T-5, Wilwood pedals, 3 link, Koni shocks, 17" Bullett wheels, Baer brakes, Classic gauges, I-Squared wiring, Jaguar Racing Green w/Sliver Stripes

Tagged and road ready in NYSas of 6-5-09 Life is GREAT!

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80663

If you live "Upstate" near Albany, NY send me a PM. Our Cobra gang is growing and looking for new members!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Robert...you're in Texas, check out Lonestar Classics in Ft Worth as well.

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 09-22-2007, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My hunt came down to Hurricane and Shell Valley. I chose hurricane and couldn't be happier so far! Take a look at their website and see if you like it. they're always evolving their kit and making it better, it's pretty accurate in size and shape, great customer service, great quality!
Old 09-22-2007, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

what do you intend to do with the car? What type of ride do you want?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Enjoy the search ...

List of Manufacturers
Old 09-23-2007, 12:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

radtexas what did you find out?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynMeek
Robert...you're in Texas, check out Lonestar Classics in Ft Worth as well.

Glyn
Will do. I did look them over in the past but that was when I was not as serious or close as I am now. They are maybe a 3 hour drive from me,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
A & C makes a kit that the body comes out with a gel coat in any color you want, like a boat, so it doesn't need any, maybe buffing, bodywork.
Interesting. I will do a search for them and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwillia4
what do you intend to do with the car? What type of ride do you want?
Right now I am looking for one I can drive to work occasionally, (I can see it out the window) and on the weekends and any time the weather permits. I am currently thinking 325 to 375 RWHP. I have an 07 GT/CS convertible and love it best when the top is down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyawix
radtexas what did you find out?
Not sure exactly how to answer this question. Kind of Broad. I did find out that I like the NHRA nationals in person. Went to the track in Ennis today and it was something. Right at starting line on pit side and about half way up the stands. That is a lot of power and the first time those top fuels made a run I could sware my heart stopped beating. But truely enjoyed watching. That John Force/Kenny Berstein wreck was horrific to see in person.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So what are your top kit picks now? Are you also drag racing?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtm442
Enjoy the search ...

List of Manufacturers
I found that thread and a similar one after I had posted mine.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyawix
So what are your top kit picks now? Are you also drag racing?
Still to early for top picks. Just getting started so any name would only be a guess right now.

And I went to my second drag race event in my 37 years today. I super Chevy event about 15 years ago and the one today with the big boys. Truely a fun experience. I do not plan on drag racing myself unless I really get adventurous.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Why don't you come up St. Louis as a spectator and check out all the Cobra's participating plus we have several of the manufacturers that will be there with displays. B&B, Backdraft, Shell Valley, RCR, Mongoose, and possibly a couple others will be there but Hurricane has not commited as yet...I don't think they are coming (big mistake). Plus virtually ALL manufacturers Cobra's will have a contingent there participating. In short there will be plenty of Cobra's for you to look at and compare side by side.

http://www.runngun.net

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 09-24-2007, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
I looked at their site and request standard info and such but I have a couple questions if anyone has one of these cars.

How good is the finish?
Does it look like a nice paint job ?
And if you damage the car then what? Paint the whole car since I am unsure you can repair any part to match the solid color gel?

I guess if you plan on trailering her all the time and have a watchful eye it might be better if the finish is good. But for daily or weekend drving when you might occur road chips/ or door dings is it better??
Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtexas
I looked at their site and request standard info and such but I have a couple questions if anyone has one of these cars.

How good is the finish?
Does it look like a nice paint job ?
And if you damage the car then what? Paint the whole car since I am unsure you can repair any part to match the solid color gel?

I guess if you plan on trailering her all the time and have a watchful eye it might be better if the finish is good. But for daily or weekend drving when you might occur road chips/ or door dings is it better??
I have an A&C, but the previous owner had it painted when it was about 6yr old. From what he told me the gel coat was not quite as nice looking as the paint, but very close.

The big advantage is that stone chips rarely chip deep enough to go past the color. I would say the gel coat is more durable, but not quite as pefect and glossy as paint can be.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

Plan a trip to Dallas and at our monthly meets, you'll see several manufacturers, talk to owners and take a drive.
We meet the 1st Sat of the month, check Local Clubs (upper right) then Texas Cobra Club.
There's a car show this Sunday that a lot of us will be at.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Clois,

It is true, I talked to Mike and Hurricane can't make it to Run n gun. They had a scheduling conflict and won't be able to make it.