23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2007, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 2008 Summer Trip Colo- Utah - Idaho -Wash - Calif and back

We are planning a summer trip. 2008. We have some relatives in northern Calif and so are thinking about a Cobra trip to see them. But also would like to see and drive on PCH Highway 101. Plan is to drive to Grand Junction for one night. Then to Salt Lake City, Utah and then to Boise, Idaho. Then Boise to Seattle, WA and then down Hwy 101 to San Francisco. Our relatives live in San Francisco and Sacramento. Then we would head on home to Colorado. Only about 3704 miles. We can do about 350 to 400 miles per day. We can take two weeks for this trip so we are not in a hurry. We do not want to drive the interstate too much and would love to see the country roads.

What we are asking for is any ideas you might have for great Cobra drives and fun times along the way.

Dick & Candy Thompson
Mile Hi Cobra Club
Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Roadster, 418W
Not Ranked     

Dick,

Here is a detour from I-70 that will add some great scenery and roads en- route to Salt Lake City.

About 13 miles west of Green River, Utah, take Utah Hwy 24 exit south to Hanksville. The same highway turns west, travels through Capitol Reef National Park and eventually intersects US Hwy 89. Head north to Salina and Utah Hwy 28, 28 to Nephi, back onto I-15 to SLC. This is about a 160 mile add-on to your tour...and worth every second!

Terry
Old 10-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

If you haven't been to Yellowstone, don't miss it. I was fortunate to be there in May, and practically had the roads to myself. Also PCH 1 is a beautiful drive, but I wouldn't want to drive from Washington to SF. I would use 101 & 1 off, and on. Have fun it sounds like a great trip..............
Old 10-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Yup...101 is an inland freeway most of the time; Hwy 1 is PCH. In California, take the 101 down to Fort Bragg, and then cut across to Mendecino to Hwy 1and take it south to Marin County...you'll pass some of the best scenary in Northern California (Sea Ranch, Fort Ross, Bodega Bay, Inverness/Drake's Bay, Muir Woods, etc.). If you really need to say you went through the wine country, cut inland at Bodega Bay (several great roads to do so)...personally, I'd stay on the coast. For overnight, Mendecino's great, but to me, Bodega Bay more goodo.

Heading east from Sacramento, drop down to the north shore of Tahoe from I-80...it's the old "Godfather II" side of Tahoe...head east along the shore and then jump back over to Reno/I-80 via Mt. Rose (basically the route we take for cruises during the Bash). You could also take 50 or 88/89 to the south shore of Tahoe from Sacramento.

Last edited by Jamo; 10-08-2007 at 10:28 AM..
Old 10-08-2007, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm not one to normally hijack a thread but I could not help but notice that there is a Mile High Cobra club. Does that require the same type of activity as the other Mile High Club?

RD
Old 10-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mile High as in "Denver" Co.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK IV, 460 SCJ
Not Ranked     

I live in the Salt Lake area and some of my kids live in Denver. We make the trip 3 or 4 times a year. Our favorite route from Denver is to take I 70 to Rifle, then turn north toward Meeker on highway 13. Turn west on 64 toward Rangely and on to Dinosaur. Turn west on 40 toward Vernal to Roosevelt and on to Park City. It's about a 9 hour drive so you would want to stay somewhere along the way to meet your goal. It is the best drive from Denver to SLC for scenic beauty.

When my Cobra delivered in the spring, I plan on making a trip to Denver and that's the way I will go.

Just another option for you to consider.

Mark
Old 10-08-2007, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Hey, Dick.

Sounds like a fun trip. Michele and I have done similar routes over the years. Never in the Cobra, though. Sigh, I'm jealous.

In any case, here's some areas we've really enjoyed.

In WA, take the northern route (20) through the cascades. Wow. One of the most beautifull roads I'v eve driven on. Be prepared for rain there.

Out on the west side of Mt. Olympus, we went through the rain forest. AFAIK, the only rain forest in the continental US. We took a boat cruise on Lake Chelan. That lake is something like 2,000' deep.

Southern Utah in the capital reef area. Beautifull roads and scenery. Some of clearest air in the US. Last time we were headed for vegas on the harley, and went through paige. Also took in Bryce Canyon, the pink sand dunes, and Zion NP. Zion was great, as the road in travels through the cliff. That was really cool.

In CA, we drove to Reno (for the WSCB), and then south to Yosemite. That was impressive.

Then we cut across the state to visit Hearst Castle. That is a must see.

Then up Hwy 1, across the Bixby Bridge, and into Carmel. Spent a little time on Cannery Row. Then across the bay for lunch on the pier. Then into SF.

I love SF. One of my favorite US cities. Best seafood anywhere. And we found a little sicilian trattoria on columbus street that's worth the trip all by itself. There's a place on Pier 39 called The Crab House. They make a dish called Killer Crab. And it is. Scomas was pretty good, too.

Across the bridge is Muir Woods. Huge trees. Almost like a rain forest. After that head north along Hwy 1 again. It's kinda like a roller coaster up there. Michele got pretty car sick.

The Napa Valley was kinda cool, but not a Must See in my book. I didn't see one auto parts manufacturing plant there.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

On your way down 101, you'll run into Humbolt Redwoods State Park. Stop in Founders Grove. Tallest trees in the world. If you do that, skip Muir woods. I agree with Jamo and BobCowan. Skip the wine country (I live there). But do go all the way down hwy 1 and Shoreline highway back to 101. Just before the Golden Gate bridge, exit and take Conzelman Rd up a 1/2 mile or so for a fantastic view.

Carmel and 17 mile drive, some of the most fantastic coastline you will see. Yosemite is a must. If you make it to Reno, car museum.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     
Default cobra trip

Going through Idaho, don't miss hiway 12, the Lewis and Clark trail, the road winds and twist around a river off the Columbia, half the way your on one side of the river the half on the other side.
If going near Bodega bay stop and spend the night in Sebastpol, small quaint town 2 or 3 resturants and an nice cream parlor. All the resturants are, well used to be italian, could be changed now, and just a couple of hotels. The road there is great, in the pine country with really friendly people.
I agree with yellowstone if time permits. If you are able to stay at the log cabin hotel at old faithfull all the better, if not west yellowstone is a great city.
I traveled these roads on my bike and also like to stay off the main highways. Once my car is complete I plan on making some of my bike runs into Cobra runs.

As a side note on some other trip try Red River New Mexico, GREAT little town, friendly people and great roads to and from where you are at.

Dennis
Old 10-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

BTW Paul, I'm up in Santa Rosa more often than not (represent a few grape crushers)...the 101 up there during rush hour sucks worse than it does in LA!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Long time lurker, first post. Own three Tigers and a K1200rs BMW. Here is a site that might help. Chris

Couldn't resist because I live in Santa Rosa also.........this is my back yard.

http://www.pashnit.com/

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12009
Old 10-10-2007, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thank you

Thank you for your help. Great ideas. We might have to plan another week or so to get it all in.

Uberpilot - Thank you so much for the pashnit.com site. Those are some really cool pictures of what we are planning to see. Looks like fun on a bike and I think could be just as fun in a Cobra.

Dick
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

As the time gets closer, check this site to see when they are holding the River City Rod Run.

http://www.hotrodcafe.com/

One of the better Rod Runs in the Northwest.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock ,350 chevy, jag axles
Not Ranked     

when coming down 101, take the exit at Buellton via Solvang on 246. There are some nice danish bakerys, wonder how they all survive. Go on through Santa Ynes, then turn right on 154, passing Lake Cachuma. The road winds thru the hills and then down to Santa Barbara, with a fantastic sight on SB, the ocean and the channel islands.

This is a mans world, but what would it be without a cobra!

Last edited by Wild Thing; 10-11-2007 at 05:25 PM..