Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance MKIII 402 Roush engine
Not Ranked     
Default Why don't we like the CSX 7000 Continuation series?

Hi everyone,
as part of my research for buying a CSX or SPf, I have had a lot of people advising me to not buy a CSX 7000 continuation series (except for Allan). These cars are rare and it seems like that they would be more popular. Can anyone explained to me why?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

I can't keep track of the numbers, what's a 7000 car and how is it different from all the other late vintage Shelby's?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In this case I'm talking about the 289 FIA CSX 7000 series.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went over to the Shelby site and saw that they offer that car in both fiberglass and aluminum. If the aluminum car is based on a Kirkham roller, I would think that would be a great car to own.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's not an aluminium car.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Never mind .
Old 10-25-2007, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

You can get them in glass or aluminum, just like 4000 cars. They are VERY beautiful cars. I don't believe they are uncommon in CSX form, they are just uncommon because it's a different car. Most people like the 427 car. The FIA is a hot little car, but it's also smaller, with less interior room, so that's something to keep in mind. Also, some people don't care for the front facing roll bar, small 17 gallon fuel tank, etc, etc. The FIA is an acquired taste.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 10-25-2007, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Sal,

A 7000 has more room than a 4000, no carpet to eat up space.
As far as looks, I think it is the best looking cobra. As far as quality, the fiberglass cars are made at Shelby and that is much better than anything produced in poland.

Allan
Old 10-25-2007, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan A
Sal,

As far as looks, I think it is the best looking cobra. As far as quality, the fiberglass cars are made at Shelby and that is much better than anything produced in poland.

Allan
Well, the FIAs I've seen sure seemed smaller, especially in the room for your hand between the steering wheel and door. Of course, you'd know better than anyone, having owned both . Is your 7000 a glass or alloy car?

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Glass, I never liked the way the aluminum fenders looked. But that is me. The wheel to door is not a problem, but every car is different.

Allan
Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxom
Hi everyone,
as part of my research for buying a CSX or SPf, I have had a lot of people advising me to not buy a CSX 7000 continuation series (except for Allan). These cars are rare and it seems like that they would be more popular. Can anyone explained to me why?
To try and answer your question.....I think the reason people don't like them is right in front of you - the 427! Better looking, faster, did I say better looking? Because of this, they also enjoy better resale value.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

It isn't a comparison of CSX or Superformance, but preferance for 427 vs 289FIA style. Depends on what you like about cobras. To me personally the 289 IS the cobra - that's what was sold first to the public and that is THE team car that Shelby raced and won the World Mfg. Championship with. I first saw it when all of the car mags did write ups in '64 (the famous 'yellow' 260 that was painted a different color for each test drive). Personally, I belive it is the best looking cobra ever built, whether it's an FIA or a slab side. I had a Unique FIA, sold it, and have a new ERA FIA in the works. So it's what YOU prefer. FIA's are built by Shelby, Kirkham, ERA and Unique, and apparently FFR is planning one. There are more 427's definitely built by those that offer both. Probably a 3:1 margin.
ALF likes this.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge
The FIA is a hot little car, but it's also smaller, with less interior room, so that's something to keep in mind.
Actually, the footboxes in the 7000’s are a little larger which translates into more interior room. The FIA’s only need to accommodate a small block.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Most nubies want a 427 because that is what they have been exposed to over the years with the constant bigger is better BS. I have a couple of friends that have both a 427 and a FIA with the 427 being bought first. Now both of these guys have the 427 sitting and collecting dust while they drive the FIA cars.
Lets face it the 427 was a decent engine 40 years ago and the small block Cobras were only puny 289's but todays bigger small blocks just dominate those lazy 427's. Funny how today's Big blocks have to be almost 500 cubes to compete with the 400ci small blocks.

Nothing wrong with a 427 street cruiser for shows and impressing the nubies but the guys who want to drive fast seem to prefer the big cube small blocks. Plus it goes perfect in a 289FIA body.

Last edited by RACER X #99; 10-26-2007 at 05:25 AM..
Old 10-26-2007, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sal,

As far as looks, I think it is the best looking cobra. As far as quality, the fiberglass cars are made at Shelby and that is much better than anything produced in Poland.

Allan
With all the problems I have seen discussed with Shelby products in general here on the forum over the last 4 or 5 years, I think you last statement about the Kirkhams is so ridiculous that I just laugh and move on to the next thread!

Last edited by dlampe; 10-26-2007 at 05:45 AM..
Old 10-26-2007, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA; 331 stroker; TKO 600:3.54 Rear
Not Ranked     

Those "cars produced in Poland" are incredible works of art. The Kirkham's are fanatics about quality and innovative engineering concepts to produce stronger, higher quality "replicas" of every component used to build those cars. They were amazed by the quality capabilities of the Mig plant in Poland which led to the innovative arrangement to have their aluminum bodies manufactured there. Shelby has the name and obviously the history, and put together the car concept we are all attracted to - but no one has ever built an aluminum roadster of consistent quality matching the Kirkhams. They set the bar the highest it's been set in the cobra arena. RD
Old 10-26-2007, 06:34 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sal,

Allan
The fiberglass FIA's due to the Daytona coupe style trellis frame modification have a larger transmission tunnel.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Last time I checked, the CSX 7000 and 8000 cars cost more than the 4000 series. They also came with the old transverse leaf suspension instead of the 427 coil over. Either one or both of those could be a large part of the greater popularity for the 427. IMHO the 289 cars, FIA or slabside, are both better looking cars than the 427.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like the FIA body better than the 427 body. Just my opinion of course. What you're going to get into with an FIA is the uninformed person, who's going to ask you if it has a big block. It will get old after a while.
My advice, buy which ever one you like the best. It's your car/money.
Larry
Old 10-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I could see myself in an FIA. A small block does it have it's good points, and that is the ONLY body style I would feel comfortable having one in. Plus, I rather like the grill/mouth opening and the forward braced roll bar. Many of the 427 cars also come with a 17 gallon tank, as far as that goes. What 'got old' for me was someone asking if my 427 body style Excalibur had a big block (302 inside)!

...and rumor has it the FIA's have more room without carpet.

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-26-2007 at 07:44 AM..