Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   rumor control--has SAAC lost its use of Shelby name? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/83483-rumor-control-has-saac-lost-its-use-shelby-name.html)

xlr8or 11-26-2007 10:59 AM

I'm wondering more about what effect if any this has on the current registry being published and it's shipping date.

Excaliber 11-26-2007 11:02 AM

Changed my signature line, thinking seriously about replacing any "Cobra" emblems on my car with AC emblems. Thats it for me, Shelby has just screwed over to many people to long to warrant even suggested support from myself. PROUD to have a replica NOT approved by Shelby!

imagine2frolic 11-26-2007 11:06 AM

Excaliber,

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ROFL....:LOL:

1ntCobra 11-26-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlr8or
I'm wondering more about what effect if any this has on the current registry being published and it's shipping date.

Not to worry. Ned replied earlier in this thread somewhere.

computerworks 11-26-2007 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlr8or

I have heard that it is still pretty much on schedule.

fsstnotch 11-26-2007 12:23 PM

Has anyone picked up a copy of Shelby Mag? I picked one up while I was home. Not too impressed! Especially at the $6.99 stand price. But in reading all about "Team Shelby" in the mag.... it doesn't seem very impressive either. My interpretation of the article is that it will be updated no more than SAAC? The only thing "Team Shelby' seems to be accomplishing here is pissing off the replica owners and allowing the newer Shelby cars into the registry. It's just my opinion... but "team Sheby" seems kind of... well... generic! $49.99/yr seems pretty steep, but you do get quite a bit of stuff with the membership. Of which I probably won't be. But we'll see once it gets all up and running in January. From a business standpoint... it's really about time CS did this. From an owner standpoint.... garbage!

Excaliber 11-26-2007 12:56 PM

I left the Corporate world a few years ago, just got really tired of the back stabbing and nasty deeds required to climb the ladder of 'success'. I did well in that environment, without loosing my moral compass, but at times it wasn't easy.

Shelby wants to start a new club, fine, thats business, but don't back stab someone else to make it succeed. The moral compass here is WAY out of synch.

RodKnock 11-26-2007 01:29 PM

I apologize if I missed it, but what is the significance of the cut-off date of 1/01/96?

While I'm one of those "west coast bashers" of SAAC, mostly due to their poor performance in recent years, I think they've done a remarkable job of defending the marque against forgeries. I was contemplating joining Team Shelby, but I don't think I will do that now. However, I'll continue to be a member of SAAC. I never liked the litigious nature of Shelby and to attack SAAC is just plain bad corporate behavior that should not be rewarded.

dynoroom 11-26-2007 01:37 PM

Over 20,000 (twentythousand!) views, but it seems no one can see.....

G.R. 11-26-2007 01:54 PM

As someone mentioned earlier we here are not privy to "all" the behind the scenes issues. So all we can do is speculate and espouse our biased or unbiased opinions.

Personally I could care less one way or the other. I've owned two hot rods that just happen to have a Cobra body rather than a a '32 Ford. I admire Shelby and the racing championships won as a team. The body style of a Cobra is one of the sexiest automotive bodies every built(if one equates it in that light). Probably one of the reasons people of all ages admire it. And when you add a high performance V-8 it is just that more exciting.
Most of us here do not own or have ever owned an "original" for the most part we own replicas thus we as the saying goes "have no horse in this race" and should not presume to judge either of the parties. MHO

This is a damned hobby---enjoy it! and be thankful you can afford to own one....or just continue as always arguing "Real or Replica", "True to the original or an abomination" "Shelby bash or boost"....or don't, makes no difference to me. I just think it is funny that the same posters say the same thing year in year out.

Dan Stryffeler 11-26-2007 01:55 PM

Being an outsider (like 99.9% of the rest of us here) I don't have a clue what was written into the licensing agreement with SAAC.

What typically happens to licensed goods (clothing, toys, etc.) when the contract expires? Anyone out there been in this type of agreement?

If I lent some corporate records to someone to facilitate research, I would think that there would be a clause in there giving me some rights to the results of that research (at least as to publishing if not ownership of the results), and certainly the right to collect the original documents back. Anyone?

I would also guess that regardless of how the agreement was written, it will probably come down to how much either party wants to spend in legal costs to defend their position (their interpretation of the contract). SAAC seems to have fired the next round by asking for donations to their legal fund...

- Dan

Nedsel 11-26-2007 02:08 PM

Dan, if I gave you a chassis blueprint, and you built a car using it, would I have the right to ask you for the car after it was finished?

Trevor Legate 11-26-2007 02:42 PM

A perfectly valid point Nedsel.

Like everyone here on this webbysite, (other than Nedly) I have no insider knowledge re the issue under discussion. I guess that if the gentleman in question wants his stuff returned, then so be it. However, it was point 4 in the dreadful 'Cummings' letter that opens a whole other can of worms. And I know what my repsonse would be to such a demand.....

As a piece of PR work, this is down there with the worst of them.

1ntCobra 11-26-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedsel
Dan, if I gave you a chassis blueprint, and you built a car using it, would I have the right to ask you for the car after it was finished?

Ned, Those Shelby lawyers may be watching and looking for any little scrap of text to help them. It may be both brave and foolish for you to post on this topic.

It does seem interesting that the Shelby lawyers needed to quote the SAAC registry as to Rick returning materials. If I were reading between the lines, I might guess that there was no written agreement between Shelby and SAAC on those materials. Otherwise, don't you think the lawyers would have quoted some exact paragraphs out of a contract? But they did not. They quoted the SAAC registry.

John McMahon 11-26-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excaliber
I left the Corporate world a few years ago, just got really tired of the back stabbing and nasty deeds required to climb the ladder of 'success'. I did well in that environment, without loosing my moral compass, but at times it wasn't easy.

Shelby wants to start a new club, fine, thats business, but don't back stab someone else to make it succeed. The moral compass here is WAY out of synch.

Ernie,

Did you 'think' a lawsuit would not be coming forthwith? Why would SAAC be any different?

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/vsh0053l.jpg

Nedsel 11-26-2007 03:02 PM

I don't think my posting of a hypothetical question gives anybody's attorneys any grist for the mill of mutual destruction.

amy B 11-26-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul F
I second the motion. I think it would be great to compare a real 60's Cobra to the later Shelby re-makes. How does Shelby's replica compare against the original? Also, highlight the improvements made in the re-makes.

Agreed, we will do this

Jamo 11-26-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What'saCobra?
Good counsel advises me not to argue with a vastly experienced but occasionally distempered moderator/negotiator with a trigger-finger on the entry switch to this forum. Considering that sage admonition, i have frequently found the "playbook" of common sense worth consulting from time to time during more idle moments in the middle of the night.

Even occasionally, i perform better when i am closely watched.

A negotiator that would approve an out of place, somewhat obtuse but clear and scandalous reference to the "evil" of his antagonist in a public press release would rarely be considered judicious. Gratuitous insults are rarely signs of shrewedness and business acumen, but rather the product of impatience, lack of business judgement and temperamental incompetence. Like swearwords, insults are frequently documentation of fear, a loose-cannon attitude regarding public restraint and a cavalier disregard for a winning strategy.

i have previously commented on the considerable service to Shel's public image and that of his wonderful cars, caused though the good efforts of SAAC, that need not be repeated. It is worth repeating here, however, that he has graced their events in their favor as a highlight many many times for years. They have earned considerable part-fortunes on their automotive business dealings thereby, some more than others.

The parties have argued previously. At length. They have made-up when Shel' has calmed down and they have climbed down at least in part. They will argue again. i think it is one of Shel's hobbies.

But, this time is very different. FORD's many billions of "Mustang" sales weigh somewhat in the balance. Right or wrong, FORD will be right, just like in 1964, 1966, 1967 etc.

While Shel' and FORD have picked fights in the past that were Quixotian in their famously vainglorious posturing (such as the Angliss/FORD/Shelby affair of the "lost 427 chassis from AC"), this contest just doesn't strike me as one of them. Just my opinion, though.

There are far more than a hundred thousand new under-30 Mustang buyers out there that will prove FORD right. Shel' will help them achieve those goals.

Remember to whom FORD brought the newly completed FORD GT for his imprimatur. Remember whose jillions of photographs were published world-wide leaning on the car. How many SAAC members, investors, directors or owners can command 250 USD for his signature on a glove-box lid?

Which way do you think the media will fall on this issue? Do they wish to risk Shel's or FORD's approbation? Who has the clout and why?

Many (me) might think such a public insult was unfair to the old man, however a public figure and deeply argumentative Shel' might be on these and other issues. While Dame Fortune has not always showered her blessings on the man, she certainly does at the moment and he has rarely lacked Fame's heady kiss.

Will the other driver in this audience that has a similar winning record please step forward? Will the other businessman that produces inked copy to the multitudes measured in millions of square feet please weigh in? Will the other spokesman for the sale of perhaps several billions USD of performance automobiles (and perhaps several + more billions USD in the future) please speak up?

Implying Shelby's business affairs are "evil" lessens the SAAC from their "little guy against the billions" position and elevates them to the "little stinkers" level, for no risible benefit. The comment is gratuitous, ineffective, foolish, knavish and potentially costly. Remove it from the public press release and the tone of the release becomes far more a balanced and matter-of-fact presentation of their otherwise at least reasonably debatable position.

SAAC need not similarly play the Quixotian game-card. Do not expect too many owners to take a public distancing from the Shelby who "made" their cars. Us vs Them only works if SAAC have pristine-clean skirts.

The FORD PR and legal machine has only just barely begun.

But, against 30 years of experience, what does a young guy like me know?

Just my opinion.
-------------
i worked and played for many years in offices on Rittenhouse Square in PHL, so i retain a warm spot for both the city and most of its citizens. (Eddie G. Rendell isn't one of them, though.) But, i like PHL mostly for its restaurants opened since the 1976 Bi-Centennial, when i lived on Locust Street, downtown.
-------------
No electrons were harmed or even wasted during this brief presentation. They all remain happily spinning in their newly self-chosen Ort clouds.

Surprizingly, it would seem, very little.

Why don't you read your own description of what SAAC is faced with...personally, I would want to use a sling rather than the expected sword.

Your commentary is one of a viewer... :cool:

1ntCobra 11-26-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Legate
A perfectly valid point Nedsel.

Like everyone here on this webbysite, (other than Nedly) I have no insider knowledge re the issue under discussion. I guess that if the gentleman in question wants his stuff returned, then so be it. However, it was point 4 in the dreadful 'Cummings' letter that opens a whole other can of worms. And I know what my repsonse would be to such a demand.....

As a piece of PR work, this is down there with the worst of them.

Trevor,

Somehow I doubt you needed a license from Shelby to publish your fine books. Perhaps you just needed a disclaimer of trademarks in your books.

If so maybe SAAC just needs to add a trademark disclaimer in small print on all of their tshirts, posters, magazines, snakebites, etc.

Excaliber 11-26-2007 03:14 PM

John M., I personally have been troubled over various issues with Shelby for a long time, and my history of posts here will generally show support. But there comes a time when I just can't do it anymore, for me, this is that time.

You don't have to have a horse in the race or be a member of a baseball team to see something is wrong, and take a stand. It just took me longer than some, and there is no joy in it, no bashing, just a personal reality check.