Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   rumor control--has SAAC lost its use of Shelby name? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/83483-rumor-control-has-saac-lost-its-use-shelby-name.html)

mrmustang 11-10-2007 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ntCobra
I think you mean West Virginia. :rolleyes: :JEKYLHYDE

Or Pennsylvania;)

turnpike boy 11-10-2007 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang
Or Pennsylvania;)

Hey. Watch it, buster. :mad:

Or my wife will have words with you :LOL:

What'saCobra? 11-10-2007 08:27 AM

Sorry, i thought that was your sister.

Apologies.

TerrysSPF 11-11-2007 12:01 PM

Wow.........has this thread taken a turn for the worse. Everybody, just stay away from your sisters already, no matter what state you're in!

I just picked up the new SHELBY magazine and read thru it cover to cover. Nice mag, a lot of history explained (with a Shelby slant), a couple other interesting articles, and lots of good pics (old AND new). IMO however, this new "Team Shelby" club was definately put together with the "new" cars (aka GT500, Shelby GT, GT-H, etc) as their top priority of interest. In fact, they (CS and AMY) basically come right out and say that in different interviews, including quotes in the article titled: "Join The Club". As I eluded to in my previous post, I thought the folks at Shelby would be too busy to keep track of the cars as SAAC was able to do. Amy was quoted in the article as saying "....we know how to leverage the strengths of others to create a winning team." "...we didn't want to form and operate a club on our own, so we looked for a partner who was a true enthusiast and capable of creating an organization that would give all it's members real value." -Why wasn't this "partner" SAAC? If they weren't willing to ad the "new" Shelby cars into the club then why not co-exhist? Instead, they "found that partner in the S197 Shelby Owners Association". "This organization evolved into Team Shelby, the ONLY official Shelby Automobiles-recognized club for '05 and newer Shelby based Mustangs"................oh, and by the way, "every other car that Shelby built" is also included. ie: like COBRAS.

........."Every other car that Shelby built"? -Sounds like the cars included in SAAC are merely afterthoughts for this Club. -Too bad for you old guys, I guess! ;-)
-Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. In fact, I completely understand what they are trying to do, and why. But it doesn't change the fact that I can see a lot of people being very disappointed that Team Shelby couldn't find a way to co-exhist with SAAC. -A club that's been helping to keep the Shelby name alive for 30 years........and doing it WELL.

Jamo 11-11-2007 01:25 PM

Actually, I thought the recent discussion elevated it a bit.

:cool:

kayakjack 11-11-2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerrysSPF
I just picked up the new SHELBY magazine and read thru it cover to cover. Nice mag, a lot of history explained (with a Shelby slant), a couple other interesting articles, and lots of good pics (old AND new).

I would like to read the magazine. Is it available in newsshops? Where can I get it?

Jack

What'saCobra? 11-11-2007 02:41 PM

Elevation and azimuth

Agreed.

And the discussions also clearly indicated that both need to point towards each other more properly. SAAC's leadership needs to be convinced again that they must either get full in or full outish. It is NOT a service to their membership to be at odds with the Man.

Owners (most, anyway) still regard CS as very important to their pride of ownership, particularly at special events to which they pay big money to attend and also spend beaucoup travel time as well as trailer shipping. The man demands and deserves respect. (Did i just say that? i must be getting old and more mellow.)

But, someone (she will remain nameless for the moment) will need to get him to see the VERY LARGE potentials of a proper amalgam of these entities and principals. They have gotten over lots in the past, so it isn't impossible.

Money, however, will need to be spent by the Shelby/FORD/etc side to glue them together (the entities) and perhaps a principal or two might wish to retire from the situation (if they are too bent, proud, terminally angry or not willing (for any reason) to push this stone up the hill with sufficient speed).

For instance, updating of the Registry, despite many unanswered questions about various entry criteria for "lines of business" (read: kinds of Cobras and "Cobras" and "Shelbys"), needs more tempo. A single entity would facilitate those decisions on schedule, by professionals, if not quite perfectly.

Madmiles442 11-11-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamo
Actually, I thought the recent discussion elevated it a bit.

QUITE a bit. Before this, when was the last time SAAC was mentioned in ANY circle. ZZZzzzzzzz

Quote:

Originally Posted by What'saCobra?
.........Money, however, will need to be spent by the Shelby/FORD/etc side to glue them together... and perhaps a principal or two might wish to retire from the situation... to push this stone up the hill with sufficient speed.

For instance, updating of the Registry, despite many unanswered questions about various entry criteria for "lines of business" (read: kinds of Cobras and "Cobras" and "Shelbys"), needs more tempo. A single entity would facilitate those decisions on schedule, by professionals, if not quite perfectly.

AMEN, BROTHER. That's the ticket, right there.
So much potential that SAAC has shown no interest in advancing.

Jamo 11-11-2007 05:06 PM

MadMiles442...you took my post out of context. It was in response to the previous post.

My point was that a discussion about the mating patterns of the southeastern United States elevated this whole discussion. ;)

isaakgt 11-11-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayakjack
I would like to read the magazine. Is it available in newsshops? Where can I get it?

Jack

Got mine at my local SaveMart grocery store. Enjoyed the read.

TerrysSPF 11-11-2007 07:52 PM

I just picked mine up at the local supermarket newstand. I'm sure they would have them at bookstores like Barnes & Noble or Waldens as well.

While the SAAC doesn't get mentioned here a lot, I'm sure there are plenty of members among us. I think they aren't brought up in conversation much simply because there isn't a lot to talk about - except perhaps the length of time between updates.

Sure there's bad blood between them, and I don't know the details, but couldn't that be worked out for the "team"? Sounds like CS just decided to take his marbles and go home. But then again...........it's HIS name and HIS product, so.........

I understand what Amy is doing in wanting to take Shelby forward, and this club will be a part of that by including the new Mustangs (and MUSTANGS in their mind, ARE the future). After all, Ford sells a lot more Mustangs than Shelby sells Cobra's...............but I still feel the SAAC could have played an important role here.

It will be interesting to see what the first couple of club gatherings will turn out like, and what the ratio will be between the "new" Shelby crowd (in their 'Stangs) and the "old" group in their Cobra's (especially originals).

Now..................back to your sisters.%/ ;)

Jamo 11-11-2007 08:24 PM

Maybe they won't let the old POS things be in the pic.

TerrysSPF 11-12-2007 06:17 AM

Quote:

Maybe they won't let the old POS things be in the pic.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yep, I can hear the young crowd in their 'Stangs all standing around as the Cobra's pull up, yelling................"Hey! Who let the old Corvette guys in here!!!!"

Don 11-12-2007 08:04 AM

Shelby magazine:

I was provided the UPC by Jay Little as Barnes & Noble did not have any on display. B & N at two different stores did not show stocking the magazine. I advised Amy and she is checking with the Publlsher regarding B & N distribution.

I did find a copy at Border's, don't know if it was the only or last, but at this store they did not have any remaining.

Thought the magazine was well done, especially since I am not as conversant as others in the history and offerings of CSI. Suggested to Amy there is a spread sheet format having pertient datra with all the offerings, past and present, possibly as a pull out. Amy indicated the suggestion would be considered for future publications and on the web site.

amy B 11-12-2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don
Shelby magazine:

I was provided the UPC by Jay Little as Barnes & Noble did not have any on display. B & N at two different stores did not show stocking the magazine. I advised Amy and she is checking with the Publlsher regarding B & N distribution.

I did find a copy at Border's, don't know if it was the only or last, but at this store they did not have any remaining.

Thought the magazine was well done, especially since I am not as conversant as others in the history and offerings of CSI. Suggested to Amy there is a spread sheet format having pertient datra with all the offerings, past and present, possibly as a pull out. Amy indicated the suggestion would be considered for future publications and on the web site.

Thanks Don, we llike the idea alot and will be doing it online as well as print.

On the magazine, this is our first so we wanted to catch everyone up on who is here and what has happened and what we are doing, It certainly talks about cobra and it has Carroll's history and the Terlingua History as well.

The Newsletters and other publications we do will be more rounded. This book was also to tell the regular population who think Carroll was out of business that we are back in a big way. You would be surprised how many people thought we went out of business 2 years ago

Amy

Jamo 11-12-2007 10:13 AM

Actually Amy...probably wouldn't surprize folks around here (of all places).

Obviously, your CPR skills are excellent. ;)

Madmiles442 11-12-2007 11:12 AM

Quote:

MadMiles442...you took my post out of context. It was in response to the previous post.

My point was that a discussion about the mating patterns of the southeastern United States elevated this whole discussion. ;)

Gotcha. Sorry 'bout that. You know, I tend to agree more now.

Whoever (many pages ago) set the over/under at 22 pages was pretty smart. Of course, I took the over with the head of steam we had back then. Not sure it'll make it to 22. Really slowing down.

Wayne Maybury 11-12-2007 11:18 AM

I have been following this thread from the beginning and have stayed away from making any comments until now. By the way, it is getting close to 22 pages. %/ :p ;)

If it were not for SAAC, the Cobra replica producers, and Cobra lovers & owners (most of whom can only afford replicas) probably no one would even know who CS was today. His name has been kept alive by the people that never gave up on the cars SAI built in the mid to late 60s.

In a few years, new Mustangs will just be old Mustangs (whether they have CS written on the side, or not), many of the current Mustang owners will be driving whatever is the hot toy of the day, and Ford will be building what they can sell. However, Cobras will still be Cobras and we will love them as much as ever. Hopefully there will be plenty of 94 octane around so that we will still be able to make lots of noise. :LOL: :LOL:

Talk of marrying close relatives did add an interesting twist to this thread. :JEKYLHYDE :eek: :rolleyes:

Wayne

imagine2frolic 11-12-2007 11:22 AM

Page 8 I asked the question, and Mark IV responded 22 pages. You got to admit though a lot of information has passed here. Me being a newbie of one year it always amazes me how much information, and some disinformation passes here. At times the history here seems to be a soap opera....;)

David Kirkham 11-12-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John McMahon
Oy Vey...thanks Ron. This is like marrying yer sister.

They do that in Utah, don't they? :D :D

You related to John McCain's mom?

David
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: