14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     
Default I want this......

eBay Motors: FORD 427 SOHC CAMMMER ENGINE---UN REAL (item 320209759977 end time Jan-29-08 16:03:42 PST)
Old 01-23-2008, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

as my electronic supplier would say, "go for it, it's only plastic you are using, doesn't mean anything right?"

Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

seeing that they are in my neck of the woods the phone number listed on ebay has to be a typo. Their area code should be 408 not 308 should you wish to call them and talk yourself into it
Old 01-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4141
Not Ranked     

Wonder what the reserve is?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

SOHC 427s are as good as it gets in FE country. A real tour-de-force from four decades ago and it still looks awesome today! Not to mention a mountain of horsepower.

If I were going to choose one for a Cobra (which I almost did) I would probably opt for an aftermarket aluminum version to try and get the front end weight down.

Still, there is no taking away from the WOW factor, no matter iron or aluminum Those motors are flat spectacular!

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had one of them in my garage from 1996 to 2000. I finally realized it had to go to another owner, as I was space and money challenged to start another car project. We already had a 1966 GT Mustang and the Cobra. I sold the cammer 4 years after I purchased it for exactly what I paid for it.

It was a looker because of it's size, the 2x4's and the rarity factor, but geesh it was it big and heavy. Everything was iron except the intake. The day I purchased it and placed it in the bed of my then 1988 Nissan pickup, I knew it was a behemoth. The Nissan's nose started facing upward because of the weight. When I arrived home and hung it on my engine stand, the stand's vertical post began to lean forward and downward slightly. I had to insert blocks between the oil pan and base rails of the engine stand to help support the weight. My other 427 wedge motor never caused the stand to bend.

Once, I measured the width of the SOHC and compared it to the wedge 427. The SOHC was 8" wider at the valve covers.

I enjoy driving our Cobra through curves, and do a little road racing. My wedge 427 has aluminum heads and intake, but is still heavy enough that it induces some understeer. Some day I hope to build an aluminum block 427 to further reduce the weight.

The weight and size of the iron block/iron head SOHC places it last on my list as an engine for our Cobra. In general, the size of the SOHC stuffed in a Cobra engine bay is very space-robbing for me. If I had kept the cammer, I'd have put it in a car intended for straight-line use; Mustang, Fairlane or Galaxie.

David

Last edited by 601HP; 01-25-2008 at 07:50 AM..