9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default Craftsman aluminum floor jack

I have a Craftsman 2 ton Aluminum floor jack #50329. I have had this jack for a little over 2 years and only used it to jack up the Cobra. When I jack up the car it bleeds down and will not hold the car up. From what I have searched on the web, this jack turns out to be a real POS. Any one know what company made the jack for Sears and if a seal kit is available? Sears was no help, telling me parts were unavailable. I hate to have to use a $179.00 aluminum jack as a boat anchor!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

Snakebit, I had the same problem with mine and the same problem with Sears service....

I cleaned mine up real good and found some thicker (higer viscosity?) hydraulic fluid and luckily it worked for mine, only after I went out and bought another jack....maybe it got jealous of the newer, less expensive model doing a better job..>LOL<
Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Why not just take it apart and look. The washers inside may just be generic stuff available at any hardware store.

________
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

Just return it to Sears for a new one. Any hassles, point to the motto over their door.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Yep-take it back and shove it up Sears a$$.I just returned a ratchet and they replace it with a used one.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

Full Throttle Al, I forgot to mention, I did just that and they replaced it twice, the third time they refused....and the jack "was not" mistreated....was not filthy dirty.....paint was not even scratched.....the first one I had for 6 months, the second for about 8 or 9....it seemed like every time the temperature drastically changed the thing would start leaking.....knock on wood, since I changed the fluid it hasn't given me any problem, not sure if it is the thicker fluid or the new jack sitting next to it keeping it in line...LOL

Yep, Sears replacement policy is going DOWNHILL RAPIDLY, saddly
Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

The warranty was up after 2yrs. I thought that as long as it says Craftsman on it there is a life time warranty. Not any longer! If you buy a set of wratchet wrenches and 1 breaks, they will not replace it because it was part of a set. If you bring back the set they will tell you that only 1 wrench is broken, not the whole set, so they won't replace the set. If your screwdriver is chipped, that's abuse. Catch 22. Their lifetime warranty sucks.

Looks like I am going to take it apart and give it a good cleaning and refill it with some HD jack oil. If not it will be one hell of a boat anchor.

I have an old floor jack that my Dad purchased over 30 years ago from the local auto parts store for $49.00 and to this day it works like a champ!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

The seals should be readily available. Suggest you "Take a sample" and match it up. I doubt they will have them catalogued by brand. Find a business in your area that deals with hydraulics.

BlackhawkParts.Com - Home - BlackhawkParts-Repair kits and parts for jacks

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 02-06-2008 at 11:12 AM..
Old 02-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

My sears/craftsman jack finally gave up the ghost after almost 40 years of good service. I needed one quickly and got it from Harbor Freight. I'll try to rebuild the sears one and have 2.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/

Last edited by mikiec; 02-06-2008 at 09:17 AM..
Old 02-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

Maybe go to Sears and buy the same one, wait a week and put the cleen old one in the box and return it. Say you are not satisfied with your purchase.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Motor Car; 427 S/O
Not Ranked     
Default Sears floor Jack

I know Sears offered two aluminum floor jacks. One sold for 99.00 (on sale) and the other presumably a better grade for $199.00 on sale. Maybe yours was a non-Sears-Craftsman jack not under their normal replacement warranty. I have owned one of their steel floor jacks for over 30 years and have never experienced a leak or any problem. Unfortunately, my Contemporary Cobra is much to low to use it and I have had to use other means to raise the car. As for returns to Sears, I have never experienced any problem whatsoever. I have brought back tools that were well over 30 years old and they have replaced them without question. Try all of the above and then write Sears headquarters in Chicago. Good Luck
Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

I have not had to take many tools back to sears, but I have seen them exchange wrenches that were heated with a torch and bent. I always thought that the Lifetime replacement policy was on Hand tools only. I know it does not apply to my Craftsman 19.2V Cordless tools. Just curious to what kind of Sears store some of you guys are going to. I know the local "Sears authorized reseller" place will not do tool exchanges. The Sears stores that are part of the mall tend to have a limit on how many you can exchange at 1 time, and the stand alone stores seem to be the best place to go. Unfortunately there are not many of those left.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Had the same Craftsmen jack, same problem. I had to buy a new one since it was out of warranty by a couple months. I just waited too long to do anything about it. New jack no problems....yet. Knock on wood. This was at OSH, the other Sears.

Where do you go to have a old jack rebuilt? I have a Walker heavy duty floor jack I got from my Grandfather. It's 30 plus years old and just a couple years ago started to fade with the car on it. I'd love to get it fixed.

John
Old 02-06-2008, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

I have an orange jack that I think I bought from Summit years ago, and i have used it in my dealership for years. Its been very well used and its filthy and heavy but it works everytime.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlsflyinCobra View Post
Full Throttle Al, I forgot to mention, I did just that and they replaced it twice, the third time they refused....and the jack "was not" mistreated....was not filthy dirty.....paint was not even scratched.....the first one I had for 6 months, the second for about 8 or 9....it seemed like every time the temperature drastically changed the thing would start leaking.....knock on wood, since I changed the fluid it hasn't given me any problem, not sure if it is the thicker fluid or the new jack sitting next to it keeping it in line...LOL

Yep, Sears replacement policy is going DOWNHILL RAPIDLY, saddly
Earl,what fluid did you use?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

I have a jack from their but it is labeld companion. It is the exact same things as the sears one and has worked good for years. If you buy a new one get one of those low profile ones so you can get it under your car. For other stuff, I have a 1/2 inch ratchet that never worked right. They keep rebuilding it and it still jams when I apply a lot of force. Their professional grade stuff is pretty good, the standard stuff is just OK.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I bought a super low profile jack from Summit and it's been awesome!

Summit SUM-G1020: Summit Low-Profile Hydraulic Floor Jacks - summitracing.com

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 02-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I bought a aluminum floor jack at costco for less than $100. It's light and it works great - even better, it fits under the Cobra.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

Go back and ask for the store manager, take him to one of the doors to the store where "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Money Back" is printed above the door and insist they honor their pledge. In my experience, they will honor it.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

I have a Brand "X" jack that starting leaking fluid after a few years. I took it apart and took the piston / seal to a local hydralic supply place. They gave me a new one for a couple of dollars.

I think that Sears are beginning to get a lot of their stuff made in China so their quality is the same as all the other cheap crap that is made in China.

Wayne