9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     
Default SOME Test Drive!

At the place we hold our Cobra meetings, they just happen to sell exotic cars also. Cars like Porsche, Panoz, Lamborghini, Ferarri, etc... in abundance. I try not to drool on the cars when I check them out before/after the meetings, but some of these cars are incredible.

Well, today it finally happened... I was talking to the salesman I talk to every meeting and he was showing me the new Lamborghini Superleggera he had in the showroom- one of only 190 to be made. 650 horsepower, all Carbon Fiber body and interior, all wheel drive, traction control, paddle shifters, and "arrest-me yellow" to boot!
After a bit of a chat about what a beautiful car it was, I mentioned I would love to drive one of them- never thinking for a moment it would happen in my lifetime. Anyway, the salesman says "stop by after the meeting and we can probably make that happen". "This is a demo and that is what they are for, right?"
I could hardly wait for the meeting to be over, but after the meeting the salesman was nowhere to be found. I hung around a bit, hoping for a chance to take him up on his offer and checking out the cars, including a gorgeous 1966 Corvette 427 all original coupe.
In a few minutes, the salesman comes back from taking a real customer for a test drive in a different Lambo and sees me in the showroom. He points at me and motions toward the Superleggera and says, "lets go!"

He didn't have to ask twice! He drove me out of the lot and then put it through the first 3 gears in just a couple blocks, pushing it fairly hard, but nowhere near it's limits, since the pavement was wet from a morning rain. Parking, he got out and let me have the reins for the few short blocks back to the dealership.
After a brief description of how the paddle shifters worked, I had the wheel and nervously put it in first gear and respectfully mashed the pedal. The acceleration with that horsepower, traction control, and all wheel drive was unbelievable. I'm pretty sure no Cobra could equal it due to the amazing hook up this car had. I think this was the first time a fast car ever really scared me.
After a few more short bursts of acceleration to guage what the car was capable of, we were back at the dealer's lot far too soon. I VERY carefully drove into the driveway and parked this (way out of my budget) car exactly where the salesman told me to and proceeded to grin a silly grin for the next couple hours.
I even tried to call a couple of my buddies to brag about my fortunate opportunity but none of them were available.

I haven't felt this young since my first drive in my '68 GTO when I was 18 years old. Now I can see the allure of these cars- and I realize now it isn't all about the money.

Bob
Old 02-09-2008, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR (summer 2009)
Not Ranked     

Wow! Great story. There are not many "things" that can bring a smile to your face like that. We have a Lambo/Bentley dealership near me and I've ogled many times, but have yet to take a test drive/ride. Maybe I'll hang around them some more and my luck will change

Co-founder
Gateway Cobra Club of St. Louis
www.gatewaycobraclub.com
Old 02-10-2008, 05:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a fun ride.

Was this at Ron Tonkin?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Three Peaks,

That had to be a real thrill. At least you didn't do what the guy back in New York I think it was did a few years ago. He went into one of those very exclusive (expensive ) car dealerships all dressed as if he had millions and talked to them about several very expensive cars and what kind of deal they would give him if he paid cash. Finally he settled on on, a Lamborghini I think that listed at about 1 million and the salesman went with him while he took it for a test drive. After driving it for a few miles and on the way back to the dealership while the salesman was counting his commission on the car, he pulled over and asked the salesman if he would mind if he drove the car the last block back by himself so he could feel more comfortable. The salesman got out and walked on up to the block to the dealership, the car and the man were never seen again. They figured he had a big truck close by with ramps and drove the car right into it and hauled it away.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-10-2008, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Ron,
You shouldn't put such ideas in my head, it might be tempting........

SB51, no, it was at Gran Prix Imports in Wilsonville. They have a meeting room in their new building that they let car clubs use for their meetings, free of charge. Great guys to talk to and they are all car guys almost as extreme as us Cobra nuts.

Last edited by Three Peaks; 02-10-2008 at 08:19 AM..
Old 02-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
Rpn,
You shouldn't put such ideas in my head, it might be tempting........

SB51, no, it was at Gran Prix Imports in Wilsonville. They have a meeting room in their new building that they let car clubs use for their meetings, free of charge. Great guys to talk to and they are all car guys almost as extreme as us Cobra nuts.
I will have to stop in there the next time I'm down there.