Default What a steal? ERA for 37k

This sounds like an incredible deal, ERA with side oiler for 37,5k

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230236945770
Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

I am beginning to wonder if some folks are getting desperate given the economy. As an ERA owner i know the cost of these vehicles and most builds wind up more than double this price. If someone thought about an ERA, this is an unbelievable price for a car with a SO in it.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Utah plates on a AZ car? "Turkey Bowl?" What gives with that?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Bolt on wheels, what else could have been cut in regards to the details? Most people buying an ERA would prefer a factory built "ex turn key" car than a home built one. This could account for the low dollar asking price.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-31-2008, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

mrmustang,

I was hoping you would chime in, you have alot of good info!!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Not out of line for an older ERAwith bolt-on wheels and a jag rear end. Just how worn is that 427 SO, anyway?

Anybody else remember the "First $25k takes it" ERA thread from about 4 years ago? Same thing, virtually, bolt on wheels (with knock off adapters), jag rear end. Red. Ended up selling for $35k to Excaliber in HI. I think Excaliber ended up rebuilding the 427 SO, and I believe he still terrorizes HI today with the same car. I looked at that car back then, but wasn't fast enough with my wallet. Dubbed Excaliber "slick" for synching the deal.

It's not some much where it was built, but what it's got on it. Yeah, I'm a "home builder" of an ERA.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 03-31-2008, 09:31 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Doug,

I'm not badmouthing home builders (not after building and rebuilding countless FFR's), just saying what is on the mind of a potential buyer vs a potential seller.

Bill S.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So what could you 'cut' from an ERA kit? I think the statement is misleading if you compare an ERA to many other kits. From ERA's website:
Quote:
It looks like a car without the suspension and interior! The standard kit is shipped with the body (including doors, trunk and hood) pre-fit and mounted to the chassis. All the lights are installed, and the windshield is mounted. The foot-boxes, floors and interior bulkheads are fit. The fuel tank with filler pipe and cap are also installed. The suspension, wiring and interior are packed in boxes.
Most buyers have the factory do considerably more work to the car than the 'basic' kit to begin with. Bolt on wheels are one of the few areas where you could 'save a few bucks' on a kit. Even a bare bones ERA (if there is such a thing) with final assembly done by the owner stands head and shoulders above other kits.

With the side oiler, and for $37K, this is truly an outstanding buy for a superior quality car.

On my ERA I could have simply replaced the solid roller cam and it would have been fine. I chose to rebuild the motor in it's entirety because it was such a 'radical' build to begin with. 12.5 to 1 compression with the primary problem, I couldn't begin to use 'pump gas'. And THAT should be a concern with THIS car! Many side oilers are just built to the 'max' and the car becomes a 'race car' when you really want a 'street car'. But even the high compression could have been addressed with Edlebrock heads and a larger combustion chamber to reduce the compression. But I just couldn't bring myself to give up those wonderful 1964 date coded high riser original heads and matching intake. I figure I've got about 40K in the car currently as I did the work myself.

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-31-2008 at 09:40 AM..
Old 03-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's a pic of my bolt on wheels. These particular wheels, with 'covers' are no longer sold by ERA and only came on the early cars. People are quite surprised when I tell them their bolt on, hard to tell unless you look closely or are a skilled Cobra observer. My car is #154, the EBAY car is #361. The seller is the #2 owner and does not know the engine specs.

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-31-2008 at 10:01 AM..
Old 03-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and 427S/C
Not Ranked     

Old or not, this is a great deal........................

Also this is great fun! You go Bill....................
Whats my CCX worth, it is pro built but old old old maybe $15K?

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 03-31-2008 at 09:54 AM..
Old 03-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Here's a pic of my bolt on wheels.
You're right, they do indeed look like pin-drives and spinners. In fact, except for the safety wire, most people couldn't tell the difference between yours and mine!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

OK, since I am still not that skilled in looking at these cars yet, I have a question. One of the questions he was asked is about the ERA VIN plate. In the pictures he has a Shelby American VIN plate. That along with the Plates not matching the state, make the whole thing seem odd to me. I understand that some people would like to claim it is an original, but it just seems odd to me.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...I've been thinking about adding the safety wire for the right look.

By the way, notice the square tail lights on the e-bay car. Nice touch, I have the round ones and have thought about changing them out to the square ones, which the early Cobras ran.

Those Shelby plates found under the hood are easily obtained and of course LOTS of people like to use them, whatever, it's not my style. ERA's come with their own plate, I don't see it on this car, might have been removed. The seller is apparently registered with e-bay in a DIFFERENT country than the USA. A little alarm bell goes off considering that, I'm not sure what it means. Could be nothing more than the seller (a 'she'?) is a wealthy traveling type person and the car is seldom used and currently stored in Arizona. A friend of mine has a Cobra (Shelby CSX8000) in Calif and his Midstates Cobra in Hawaii.

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-31-2008 at 10:30 AM..
Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wicked View Post
OK, since I am still not that skilled in looking at these cars yet, I have a question. One of the questions he was asked is about the ERA VIN plate. In the pictures he has a Shelby American VIN plate. That along with the Plates not matching the state, make the whole thing seem odd to me. I understand that some people would like to claim it is an original, but it just seems odd to me.
I agree. And with any Cobra, you don't want to buy it "sight unseen." You'd definately want someone from the local Cobra Club run by and take a little "look-see."
Old 03-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
...I've been thinking about adding the safety wire for the right look.
You know if you did that you would probably fool everyone, me included.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

If anybody is seriously interested and gets an address I can swing by and check it out.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 03-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I bought my ERA out of Calif, had one of the CC members drop by, check it out, he gave me the thumbs up and I bought the car site unseen. Worked out well for me.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I bought my ERA out of Calif, had one of the CC members drop by, check it out, he gave me the thumbs up and I bought the car site unseen. Worked out well for me.
But that was only "sight-unseen" to you, not totally "sight-unseen."
Old 03-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good point patrickt, it is IMPERATIVE that someone local to the car check it out, AND check out the seller as well. In my case, I did both, calling the seller at work as well as home. I was fortunate enough to have a couple of different people answer the phone and was able to cross check his 'story', which turned out to be legit. That combined with a good report of the cars condition (one freakin' fast ERA ) gave me the go ahead.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:49 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Old or not, this is a great deal........................

Also this is great fun! You go Bill....................
Whats my CCX worth, it is pro built but old old old maybe $15K?
Having only seen your pictures, but knowing how fussy you are, but also knowing you have the "superior round tube frame" I would think in the 43-48K range

Not saying the car is not a good price, just stating what comes to mind when bolt on wheels are viewed on an ERA (sorry Ernie)........

Bill S.