Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     
Default Upholstering the dash...

Getting ready to upholster the dash in my 289FIA. I'd done it once before, but there are some very minor spots I'd like to corrrect (I'm being totally anal about my build...). Most importantly, I'm concerned that the adhesive I used is going to come loose on a hot, hot day and I'm going to have sagging upholstery hanging down off the bottom of my dash.

I'm using UV protected "simulated leather" to keep the impact of sitting in the Sun at a minimum, so I'm good there.

My question is on the glue. I had used some spray on glue last time, but it's adhesive qualities have me concerned about lifted edges. I purchased a "hot glue" gun with the intent to use it, and I think it will work but wanted to see what everyone else is using. (The hot glue gun glue is good to 140 F, which should be sufficient for sitting in the bright Sun.).

What glue has everyone else used to attach their upholstery to their aluminum (or other metal) dashboards?

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 04-05-2008, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Doug,
Have you checked with Jack at ERA? He does all of their interior work.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Racing/427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Doug..I used the spary on adhesive and you are bang on ..hot days ...hot car ..it doesnt hold very well...I will be redoing mine..I did my door panels and they have started to pull away...well more like slide actually and then they dont hold the leather tight. leather is actually a little better but vinyl is the shiets

Last edited by Scufty; 04-05-2008 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-05-2008, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Home depot sells a 3M product in a spray can that works very well. There are two cans the one in the blue is not that good. Make sure that you get the glue in the black and red can and be sure to let both sides dry first before putting them together.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Doug ... I don't have any direct experience with gluing automotive fabric onto sheet metal, but would recommend against using a hot glue gun. It is hard to spread the glue in a uniform layer and it will cool quickly on the metal, causing lumps under the fabric. Even if you were to preheat the metal, it's a lot of surface area to cover. Spray adhesive is the way to go. As suggested above, ERA or a 3M rep would be a great place to start.

Tim B.

Last edited by tkb289; 04-05-2008 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: spelling !
Old 04-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've never seen a spray glue that worth anything and that includes the 3M I tried first. The second time I used Weldwood contact cement on my dash. Once it's dry, it's almost impossible to remove and it's not affected by heat.

Jim
Old 04-05-2008, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Use DAP® WELDWOOD Landau High Heat Resistant Contact Cement. This is the best thing around. Good to 250 deg F. It's getting hard to buy in some states due to envionmental restrictions, etc
Old 04-06-2008, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

We use commercial-grade Weldwood contact cement and it works fine if...

Stretch the material as little as possible.
You must leave material to wrap around the edge at least 1.5".
Prep the backside at least as good as the front.
Cut the wrap-around to a pointy shape (ΛΛΛΛΛΛΛ) so that it doesn't overlap itself.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Sounds like Weldwood is the way to go.

I did the "^^^^^^" cuts and left plenty of overlap, pulled the fabric "snug" but not stretched. The glue has held so far, but the Cobra isn't running yet and hasn't sat out in the sun on a hot day.

I'd rather fix it now while it's convenient, rather than wait for the fabric to pull loose and start flopping around. I'll pull the dash when it goes to paint and redo it then.

Thanks!!
DD

"You're kidding, right?"