9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     
Default Soliciting OPINIONS on unfinished LA Exotics

Requesting opinions on pricing for an unfinshed LA Exotics.

Charlie, who passed away about two years ago was a fellow Cobra Nut. I didn't know him very well, just saw him working in his garage on the Cobra and I stopped on my way to work just up the street, during the next two years I was on that project, I'd stop, we'd talk Cobras, and we went to lunch a couple of times.

His wife found my card recently, phoned me and asked if I'd help her put a value on Charlie's LA Exotics and help her sell it.

I told her that I would post on the Cobra internet clubs, and that I was sure that the Cobra community would be pleased to help and we would get input as to the value of the car to help her sell it.

Well, I guess I lied to her, as I've posted all over the place and I've only received one opinion as to the value of Charlie's car.

Usually one can post that it's daylight outside and one will get 1001 unsolicited opinions as to the size of the sun, the speed of light, and what defines daylight, but why not in this case?

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0Cobra%202005/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 11-15-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok ,I'll give you my bid, $10-15K. Market is flooded with cars now. Running, driving ,titled cars bring more money.LA exotics is an unknown to the world(out of bizz) even tho a B+B is basically the same car.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

I bought a finished B&B with great paint and a 302 for 22K a few years ago.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     

Mr Bruce,
Yours would be one of the most valued opinions I could get here.
B & B is not just basically the same car, it's I would venture to say it's basically the same company, only better.

I'm not looking for bids, I'm not selling the car; Charlie's wife will be when and if I help her get some opinions of what it's worth.

She was offered 15K by a neighbor up the street already. Maybe the best thing is for me to suggest to her is that she have the car finished and then offer it for sale, I don't know, that's why I'm posting.

Yup, springtime, right now is the best time of year to sell an open top car, one reason the market should be flooded.

Even my guess that the car is 90% to 95% finished is just that, an uneducated guess.

I don't know anything about LA Exotics/B&B, I do know, as I posted elsewhere, Charlie worked at the Ford Plant, he completly restored two 1965 Mustangs, one still sitting in his driveway, and one was/is being driven by his daughter as a daily driver.
The workmanship on the Mustangs and the Cobra is outstanding.

Thank you for the input double ugly.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 04-07-2008 at 11:10 AM..
Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wayne,

I am guessing the car is in California. If so, the best thing in my opinion would be to finish it if she can and get the SB-100 number for it. That alone will kick the price up over what the car would normally bring. All other things aside I think the above stated prices are pretty much in line as there are a lot of Cobras for sale now.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-07-2008, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Do you have any info on the car? Your photobucket account is private. Can't really see anything from that one small pic.

An accurate estimate would be depending on drivetrain, and what's left to finish it. If there's nothing missing from the kit, and the buyer would not need company intervention, then that's a plus. If it's a valuable drivetrain, that's a plus.

If the guy down the road has offered 15k, I would say that sounds like a good plan to get out of the car. It's close, he can come take it, and she gets some dough. Holding out for more money will just bring around the tire kickers.

Unless that thing has an FE in it, I'd say 15k is a good price.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 04-07-2008, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

There should be a stack of receipts around there somewhere. That'd be a good place to start.

If the body is painted and it's a running small block & running gear, $15k would be an outstanding deal. I'd think something closer to $20k would be more appropriate. FE? More $$$.

Good luck. Nice of you to help the widow out.
DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, Ron, the car is in Milpitas (san francisco bay area), California

This is "supposed" to work for slide show, click on photo.

If not then Photo Bucket

user 427SSSS
password bebola

and if that does not work, email me and I will forward the email I sent myself with 20 pictures, (one way for a guy with lack of computer skills to get photos out.)

289/AUTOMATIC, yes, automatic, but a REAL 289
Paint has not been rubbed out
We are still trying to find Charlie's "build book", he had build books for both the Mustangs, so assuming there is one for the Cobra.

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...uct=1210&cat=2

LA Exotics for sale/need help pricing

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180508

Old 04-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

Worked for me.
John
Old 04-07-2008, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Good luck in this market. I have a 49 Caddy that is in excellent original condition with the exception of new paint and a new motor and the offers I was getting on this car were well below book value. I also have a 1997 Harley BadBoy with only 3000 miles and had the same experience. The BadBoy was only made for three years and booked at 26k, but I would be lucky to get 10-12k in this market. I am just going to hold until the market comes back.

BTW, I served in the middle east with 1/7 Cav, 1st Cav Div...I saw your avatar.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

The slideshow worked for me as well. It looks like he was down to the final few stages of construction, so thats a plus. It doesn't appear he was missing any 'company specific pieces' which is a BIG plus. Fia wheels, sidepipes, gauges, interior, paint, suspension; all look fairly complete. My guesstimate depends on the widow. If she needs to clear the car out for personal/financial reasons (can't stand to look at it or short $), than i'd say try to get the guy down the street into the high teens/low20's and that would be fair to both. If he won't budge, advertise it for sale 'as is' in the sites (with pics!) for say, $25k 'negotiable' and hope to get $20. A third option--and you'd have to check legalities--is to donate it to a charity and take a tax write off for every receipt she can find (if her hubby was like most CC builders, the beer tab would have been 15k on a build! ). That would probably be the fastest and cleanest out. The charity could find a way to finish it, sell it in a raffle/auction and do some good works along the way....
Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you, thank you, thank you gentlemen!!!

I will pass all this information/suggestions to Charlies wife.

She can now make an informed decision on price, which I will help her post in the for sale section here.

427sharpe-great suggestions, thank you very much.

SPO1715-5/7 Cav- Nam '68-'69 Gary Owens!!
The market is a funny thing....housing market is suppose to be down. Yet, after spending 4 months remodeling a house I just put on the market, we had over 60 cars show up for an open house previous sunday, and another 50 this past sunday, realtor says it might be a bidding war!
A 20 year friend/realtor wanted to price the house at 10% to 15% less that I thought it was worth, so I went with someone else and it certainly appears that I will get my price, probably more.

Again, thank you all for helping this lady!

Wayne

Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Do you have any info on the car? Your photobucket account is private. Can't really see anything from that one small pic.

An accurate estimate would be depending on drivetrain, and what's left to finish it. If there's nothing missing from the kit, and the buyer would not need company intervention, then that's a plus. If it's a valuable drivetrain, that's a plus.

If the guy down the road has offered 15k, I would say that sounds like a good plan to get out of the car. It's close, he can come take it, and she gets some dough. Holding out for more money will just bring around the tire kickers.

Unless that thing has an FE in it, I'd say 15k is a good price.
X2..........

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

X2....

I don't understand, is that computer talk for you agree????