Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     
Default Cops bust car show ????????

Was listening to channel 173 (WLW) on XM today at around noon. The commentator told a disturbing story that according to him happened in, I believe Riverdale California, about a bunch of car enthusiast (about 150 or so)who gathered at a local shopping center (as we all do from time to time) to hang out and enjoy the cars. As this was going on the cops surrounded the parking lot and started up conversations with a bunch of them. When it came time to leave they supposedly blocked the entrances and started warrantless searches of the cars. Gave out tickets for modified engines, tinted windows, no front license plates, etc.. There was supposedly over 100 cops involved from various agencies and jurisdictions. Supposedly confiscated over 20 cars, something about paperwork not matching, and towed them away. A police spokesperson said later that enough tickets were issued to justify over 100 cops and, I think 60 cruisers.

NOW.... this is what I heard on the radio, don't know if its the least bit true or accurate. I can't find anything on the internet about this so....has anyone else heard about this? Is it old news or what? Didn't find anything on CC about it. If this is true I'm definitely staying away from CA...
Old 04-07-2008, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The debate on this is raging on several other car sites. It was a bunch of ricers gathered in a mall parking lot.
Some cars had incorrect VIN/paperwork, stolen engines etc. Citation were handed out for equipment violation as well. Some kids are whining about the tactics.
The idea was to prevent some street racing.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Old(er) news...all over the internet.

Confiscated cars had stolen engines, etc.

http://thenewspaper.com/news/23/2302.asp

Apparently part of a street racing crackdown in Riverside.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Scott, we simul-posted. :-)
Old 04-07-2008, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

That stuff was happening more and more on Long Island. It's pretty common when you have "unnofficial" meets like that. Usually it's complaints by the complex landlord to the police depratment. I had that happen to our crowd several times in NY.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary frame, Midstates kevlar body, Aluminum Shelby 427, G-force T-5
Not Ranked     

Similar incidents have happened on this coast. A couple of years ago they busted several that were gathered in a private business parking lot in Norfolk, Va. It started out with a handful of relatively quiet, respectful, law abiding gearheads gathering, and then the ricers and street racers started filtering in disrupting the business, leaving trash everywhere and driving recklessly thru the lot endangering customers. Some nights as many as 150-200 cars. Several would go there to meet, and then go to nearby I-64 to race. Some vehicles were confiscated.
http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=4585031
http://www.dragva.com/forums/archive.../t-130116.html
Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think it's a stupid question, "What do you need all that power for except street racing?" I don't street race, but I sure like the power. I want to get to the posted speed limit,,, in a hurry!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
I think it's a stupid question, "What do you need all that power for except street racing?" I don't street race, but I sure like the power. I want to get to the posted speed limit,,, in a hurry!
I got a ticket for this about 2yrs ago. It's called "exhibition of speed!" I was in my mustang driving home with my wife and daughter. My wife was mad because I wouldn't go into the store to buy her cancer, so she threw a full package of strawberries at my face. I pulled out of the store at about 6k rpms, it wasn't unsafe, there was no other cars around. I couldn't have made it to 10mph before I let off... of course my rears were probably smoking with torment!!! haha i think it was the sound that woke the officer. long tubes and prochamber with no mufflers will do that to you! haha He gave me a wreckless driving ticket for "exhibition of speed" I pled out and paid a $169 fine. When the officer came up to the window he said "why did you do that" and my wife, in the passenger seat replied "it was my fault" I bring this up everytime we argue! haha It's always her fault!