Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down Comp Cams Lies to Better Business Bureau

The saga continues. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau against Comp Cams for not stepping up to pay for my engine repair. As you all know the story of the engine failure, i will not repeat it again. Anyway, in their written response to the BBB they say that it was the distributor gear that failed and not their camshaft. The Vice President who responded had not only been given pictures of the failed camshaft and the perfect distributor gear, but i physically sent both components to him for inspection. The fact that they have to lie about the facts to shirk their responsibility, is just more proof of what an unscrupulous company Comp Cams is. I mean they know a certified mechanic was the one who determined what failed and they physically saw the parts which i still have. Did they think that just because they are a big company that lying about what happened would change the facts? Well it is just more proof to a judge how poorly they run their business. To have to stoop to lying. I mean how pathetic can you get!

Mike

Last edited by FFRCobraMike; 04-08-2008 at 10:47 AM..
Old 04-08-2008, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

i think comp cams should supply a new distributor gear with every camshaft order, this would take care of any problems?. just a thought.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wrench,

Would that really solve anything if you had a problem. If they are acting like this, then they would most likely say that you installed the gear they supplied wrong. Seems to me they would gain far more if their cam messed up by saying it did and paying for the engine than they will by what they are seemingly doing. One act like this can cost them a lot in the future and if they had admitted their product was at fault and made it right, they would have gained a lot.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-08-2008, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

I've mostly only heard of Comp Cams having these problems---we used to use a lot of there stuff but after a couple of Dist gear problems I noticed that there gear cutting on the cam didn't look right--wrong pitch line,angle, rough burry ends and edges, etc

Jerry
Old 04-08-2008, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You know guys. Between this forum and the others i have posted the original thread on, over 12,000 people have read about this story. Now on average, each person will tell three others. That's 49,000 people getting bad press about Comp Cams. I wonder what they would have to pay in advertizing to reach that many people. The sad fact is, besides the immediate loss of business which has certainly cost far above my engine repair. The bad press will cost them for years to come. It seems like they could have had that much good press for a very cheap price, but like many large companies, they figure they are too big to be affected by bad press. I am just glad i don't own stock in their company.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't know, it's a complex story and it will leave many, like myself, wondering what happened. I've been following it, but to tell you the truth, there is insuffucient data for me to make an informed decision as to what should have been done, who was at fault, etc. After all, we've barely heard one side of the story.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, just telling you my take on the whole mess. I would bet a large percentage of those viewing these various threads/posts feel the same way. Me? I'll order my cam and matching distributor (or gear as the case may be) from a BUILDER not directly from the cam manufacturer. I simply have more faith in independant engine builders to know what really works, like Gessford, KC, Southern Automotive, etc.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Excaliber
I understand that you are only hearing my side of the story. I would post the pictures of the camshaft and dizzy gear, but everytime i try to post a pic, the forum say's it is too large and won't allow it. The pics are pretty self explanitory. The cam gear is shreadded and the dizzy gear shows no wear. If the parts were compatable as Comp insists they were, then regardless of what caused the failure, both components should have been equally damaged. Even Comp could not explain why only the cam was damaged. If you want to send me your direct e-mail, I am happy to forward the pictures of both components to you so you can judge the evidence yourself. Unlike Comp, I have absolutely nothing to hide and will submit both componets to any testing. So that in itself should tell you something. If you look on the SAAC forum or the FFcobra forum, you can view two pictures of the cam. I think the picture shows very clearly that it was the cam that failed. So why is Comps response to the BBB that the dizzy gear failed? But judge for yourself. I am fully willing to supply any documentation and components for independent review.

Mike
Old 04-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't need any pics, I'm sure your description is accurate and I'm sorry your having this trouble. Just giving you some insight how others may view the saga.

Refresh my memory, did Comp Cam replace the camshaft? Are they contractually obligated to provide anything beyond replacement of the cam? I to run a Comp Cam, as do many others. The key here is: What is their failure rate percentage? All manufacturers are going to have some problems if they stay in business long enough. Weird loosing the cam gear and not the dist gear, I think this is the first time I've heard of it happening that way.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ernie, if I remember correctly, Mike specifically called and asked which gear to run with his cam. A steel gear or a cast gear. they told him to run the steel gear and because the steel gear was stronger than the cast cam, the dist gear won.

I agree with Ernie's point of view mostly. Where I think that things come into play... Yes they should be held with some liability if they said you should use a gear that you shouldn't. But I also think some of this falls on the builders shoulders. Any true builder would have likely suggested a bronze gear or at a minimum, a gear that is softer than the cam. For the home builder... you are just kinda screwed. There is going to be 100's of variables that could be the fault of a home builder and parts manufacturers can't be held liable for that. This is by no means is anything against you Mike. It is just my opinion of what I know of the situation based on what you have posted. If all of these companies were held liable everytime something like this happened, they would all be out of business. Where your situation is defferent from others is that the DIRECTIONS for the cam say to use the hard steel gear. This is where I would find them liable.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm a 'home builder of my engine. I decided, with my build, that I would seek the best advice I could. Of course that meant starting on Club Cobra, then eventually branching out to Gessford Machine. George, at Gessford, supplied me with the parts AND more critically, the advice! Now I would compare prices, Gessfords price vs buying direct from a manufacturer or discount outlet. Well of course I could save money by buying a part here and a part there, but I would loose the great advice!

In the end, I bought everything I could through Gessford, and was glad to pay a little extra for it. Maybe KC would do that, maybe not, maybe some other engine builder, maybe they haven't got time to simply 'sell parts and talk story'. Perhaps I got lucky, right time and the right place. But 'sole sourcing' your parts along with good advice on the install is a pretty good game plan for a 'home builder', if you can find someone to play ball with.

By the way, putting those dist gears on is not always easy, it can be downright madening and things can go horribly wrong with clearance issues. I bought the cam 'package' as well as the matching dist, only way to be sure...

Last edited by Excaliber; 04-08-2008 at 03:28 PM..
Old 04-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

"everytime i try to post a pic, the forum say's it is too large and won't allow it"

FFRCobraMike,
I dont know what operating system you are running on but on XP Home you can go to your picture thru windows explorer or my computer, right click on the picture and it should come up with options to resize the picture. Resize it to the smallest size and then put it in your photo album on CC. That works for me anyway. Just a thought.

Terry
Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just to clarify the situation. I did not build the engine or install the gear on the dizzy. The engine was built by a professional engine builder. He specified the distributor to use in the paperwork I received. Unfortuately, as i found out after the fact is that the reason he spifically specified the model distributor was that it had the proper cast gear on it. There was no direct discussion on the actual dizzy gear as he assumed i would just drop the dizzy in and not read the instructions. Which is usually what i would have done. The fact that the engine was so expensive and the dizzy having that big red warning tag is what prompted me to call Comp as that is what the warning tag said to do. If I would have called the builder instead of Comp, I would have installed the dizzy with the gear it came with and never had this problem. So to be fair, if I would have ignored the instructions on the dizzy and called the builder instead of the cam maker, the mistake would never had been made. However, the cam maker is supposed to know more about what works with their product then anyone else, so why are they saying the wrong thing? The dizzy gear was installed by a machine shop that does it all the time. The only thing I actually installed was the dizzy itself. Both times. So again, even if I might have by some small chance of installed the dizzy wrong the first time, then why is the dizzy gear undamaged? Anyway, i just wanted to be clear that i did not build the engine at home. The builder builds hundreds of engines a year and has built this exact same engine many times before. He always specified the same dizzy which has a cast gear on it. The only time there has been a failure was mine. So all the other engines with a cast gear have run fine for thousands of miles. Mine only made it 150 miles. The damage to the rest of the engine was caused by the metal filings from the cam. No other causal damage was found and it was rebuilt by the same builder and has well over 1000 miles since it was fixed and is running fine.

Mike
Old 04-08-2008, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Pics of Mikes cam carnage can be found in my gallery
Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

One comment and one question.

It is very possible to destroy one side of a gear and the other to be fine, as happened in your situation. It's all a matter of the alloys that compose the gears.

What kind of cam and gear did you end up with? I believe you had a steel gear, but what was the cam? Was it a roller, or a flat tappet?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

cam was a retro roller
Old 04-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't say the engine builder 'always' specifies the same gear all the time. The choice of the dist gear lies entirely with the choice of camshaft design. Roller cam requires a different dist gear than a flat tappet cam, for instance.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good call having the dist gear professionally installed, of course a guy CAN install his own gear, but you can also screw it up. Easy to see it's a roller cam from the profile of the lobes, very round and not so pointed like a flat tappet would be. Roller cams run a softer gear, like bronze (or the new plastic). Looks like the engine builder had the right gear the first time. An example of why I trust the engine builder over the cam supplier. Of course, even they make mistakes, it's tough to be 100% correct 100% of the time.

If Comp Cams said the dist gear is what wore out the cam gear, that would be an accurate statement in this case. Neglecting the fact it is THEY who recommended the dist gear of course!

Last edited by Excaliber; 04-08-2008 at 04:37 PM..
Old 04-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A roller cam should have either a steel gear or a bronze gear. A cast gear will wear out in no time.

I have a roller cam in mine and a steel gear on the distributor. No issues with this combo. However I will be changing to a bronze gear when I but in the new distributor.

Is it possible that the steel gear was installed wrong on your distributor? Generally the steel and bronze gears do not have the roll pin hole drilled. If I remember right, the tolerance for locating this to the distributor shaft is .010. That is close and needs to be checked after installation.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is from the 2007 Ford Motorsport catelog.

Roller Tappet Distributor Gear—Machined
from steel and specially hardened to be
compatible with billet-steel roller camshaft.
Do not attempt to use cast iron gears designed
for flat tappet cams.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Have a couple of question Mike

FFRCobraMike Mike looking at the cam and distributor gears, I have acouple of questions. Is it possible that the end play on the cam was not checked? If this was a retro roller kit, Some need a cam plate with a roller bearing to hold the cams in location. Some have a front thrust bearing that pushes the cam back to hold in location. Some motors, FE aftermarket had the distributor hole not machined correctly and caused the same problem. If you have the money, send the cam and gear out for testing and see if the rockwell is correct. I worked in a Caddie store in 88-93. The 4.1 motor had soft camshaft cores and would wear out both parts just like yours. Some cars had 100K some had 30K. How is the oil pump? is it a HVHP? Extra drag could cause this problem. I have not looked at a windsor motor, where is the oil coming from to lube this location? (between the gears) You may want to look into the composite gear for your distributor. I now run one with my roller and HVHP oil pump. This may fix the problem. Rick L.