Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 351W stroked to 427
Not Ranked     
Default SB101 now SMOG cert. required

In Jan. of 04 I went through SB101 and got my exemption sticker. Now DMV is requiring a smog certification for my next renewal. Is anyone else going through this? if so how is it going? What is scaring me is when I started this process the CHP used my old Ford Vin number and after going to brake lamp and smog check, then sending in the paper work DMV came back and said I needed to go back to the CHP and get a new CA vin or use my car mfg. number so back to the CHP I went, they issued me my Superformance SPO number as my new Vin. All was fine until the other day when I got my renewal for this next year. So far all my calls to DMV and Consumer Assistance (BAR) is going in a big O . I have now made an appointment with the same BAR inspection station that I went to in 04. Now with a new plate and vin I don’t know what will come down. In my records I have one slip of paper from DMV showing old and new vin numbers. If they can’t help in getting this worked out I’ll have a car I can’t drive after WSCB. I’ve had my car for six years. HELP!!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

That SB100 sticker should be all you need. However, with the change in VIN number, you have basically voided the SB100 cert.

Go to DMV and take care of it in person. Be prepared for a long day. Take the car and all paperwork with you. You may be able to convince them it is the same car.

You may be hosed for now and have to get a new SB100 exemption next year.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I have never had anything like that. The SPCN on the title and the VIN match and that seems to be all they care about. Only problem I had was with my insurance company. The title shows 0000 under Yr. Model and the Insurance company says their computers won't take all 0s so they show 2003. When they send it in electronically the Calif. DMV computers reject it because of the year mismatch and I have to have the Insurance company fax a copy of my proof of insurance to Sacramento. I have asked the Insurance company why they can't show the same under Yr. Model and they say their computers won't accept all 0s.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-09-2008, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Good ol California. This sounds like what the state does everytime they ban a new gun and want the current owners to register them with the state so they know who have them (so they can take them from you later). Why would they want a smog cert on a SB100 car unless they were thinking of making an issue of this in the future in an attempt to change the law?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Rick, if I may ask...what "old Ford VIN number?"

If that's what is in the computer for the smog testing, that's probably what kicked it on the renewal. The smog databank is separate from the DMVs...it just sends a trigger for requesting smog certificates on renewals.

Sounds like it may just be the same process as it was in the beginning...they hook you up...show you fail...then enter the SB100 exemption.

Don't worry until you have something to worry about. It sounds like you have a paper trail if it gets fubar.

Last edited by Jamo; 04-09-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Old 04-09-2008, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Lol

Or in my case, go down to the CARB and confuse the guy so bad that he enters "Hybrid/Other" into the engine description, puts in the sniffer, gets a PASSING result...runs the test 3 times because with an idle lope that bad it couldn't possibly pass, then decides it must be right, and gives you the SB100 sticker.

Then, a month later get paperwork in the mail for my "hybrid".

LOL Whatever! I enjoyed that process.

B
Old 04-09-2008, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CORRECTION SB100 not 101, sorry my mind is going nuts over this deal.

Thanks Guys for the replies. This is just another catch 22 that this State is getting famous for.
Jamo,The old vin number that BAR used was 6F06ROO1164
current vin is SPO1164, and I just noticed the last five numbers are the same on both. May not be Ford #'s at all. My first registration was through the guy in Sacramento (given to me by Superformance dealer in Reno) before I knew about SB100, He went to jail and I payed big time.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rockey View Post

Thanks Guys for the replies. This is just another catch 22 that this State is getting famous for.
current vin is SPO1164, and I just noticed the last five numbers are the same on both. May not be Ford #'s at all. My first registration was through the guy in Sacramento (given to me by Superformance dealer in Reno) before I knew about SB100, He went to jail and I payed big time.
Gotcha...that assplains it.

Really...it may be as simple as I'm hoping. If I understand your chronology correctly, the number changed after you went for the smog, so their computer knows no better. Either way...you have the paper trail.

Good luck...try to enjoy the process as Byron suggests. Valium or something like it will help you past the morons and their procedures.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Sp931
Not Ranked     

Rick,

I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago with SPF931. The problem is that the DMV & BAR have a different vin number assigned to your car and the Ca DMV takes president. You will need to make a Bar appointment ( which I think you already have) and then show up with
as much paper work as you have on file. THe BAR will just remove the sticker and retest your car and attach a new sticker citing the correct VIN # and give you a new smog certificate for the DMV which you take back to the DMV and everything is cool. It's a big pain in the tail but I had to do mine in the pouring rain and the only times I have ever had the top on my car was for both BAR appointments and both in the rain......

McDoo...been around for a long time
Old 04-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

"precedence"
Old 04-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well 'president' would be the top dog, Senator might be a typo...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Sp931
Not Ranked     

Yeah..I had the same problem on SCOF...can't spell
but my heart's in the right place !!!!

McDoo
Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Send a message via ICQ to meat
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rockey View Post

Wow.

There's not a Catch 22, and the SB100 process is really straightforward.

The BAR should only use the VIN number assigned by the CHP. If you've got some other number attached to your car, you need to straighten that out.

Your pal,
Meat.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had the same issue on my insurence. My title says 0000 for year model. The insurence company would not accept that because their computers do not recognize that as a valid year. So I had them just make it 1965. I have renewed it three times and it is still smog exempt, so far. Keeping my fingers crossed. I am not sure if you are aware that there is a new SB in the works to require all pre 75' cars to meet todays smog requirements. Some goofball senater in the central valley is trying to push it through. Can you just see trying to get an car from the 30's, 40's or 50's to meet todays smog requirements. The bill will also likely reverse our SB100 exemtions as well. Just thought I would bring it up in case you were not aware of what is going on.

Mike
Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

McDoo, Thanks for sharing your story. I hope this works the same for me.
Rick
Old 04-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Hi Rick,

I had the exact same issue as well. Actually it was the DMV team in Sacramento who pulled my title (Mrs. Tremble) who was able to get my BAR Smog Exemption to match my new VIN in the DMV database.

So, my suggestion is to call Mrs. Tremble and request that she fix the DMV database.

What I did next was by my choice. I told Mrs.Tremble, "Thanks for linking the data correctly, however now I have two VIN's on my car. The old VIN on my SB100 sticker and the new VIN assigned by the CHP." She said she didn't care, and that all is good in the DMV DB. I called the BAR, and they suggested that if I wanted a new SB100 sticker, then to make an appointment with the local BAR ref. I did, and when I got the BAR ref, he wouldn't run my car thru the drill to get the cumpooper to print me a new sitcker. I stood my ground and made him call the BAR in Sacramento. A half hour later, I had a new sticker with my existing SB100 Sequence Number with my new VIN printed on it.

I hope this makes sense. To repeat, just call Mrs. Tremble - or whoever runs the "title pulling" department at the DMV in Sacramento.

Good Luck,
Randy R...