http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24019034/

This country is in real trouble
Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

JTD,

What kind of trouble? For dealing with this problem, or for not dealing with this problem?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Why would a blind person be driving a hybrid?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

{insert cool whoosh/buzz sound that The Jetsons car makes when it whizzes by}
Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

One day you have a Cobra sound...next day a Ferrari...
Old 04-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

The next thing you know people will be required to put playing cards in their spokes on bicycles so the blind people can hear them.
You are correct we are in trouble.

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 04-09-2008, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     

It all started with ATM Machines. The next time you visit one not the brail- at least in my area. When was the last time you saw a blind person drive up to an atm machine????

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Would you guys feel the same way if you had a fully functioning, young adult who is blind in your immediate family. Thudmaster, did that pole hear you coming?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

Maurice baby, your kidding right? I mean, your really kidding.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Actually guys-- I'm not kidding. I fully realise how these issues in the hands of a run-amok politician can become a real pain in the rear. More and more of our personal freedoms are being eroded every day, not only in the US, but out here in other parts of the world as well. I have a son, who was born blind, and is presently doing a double major in languages and law in a UK university. Part of his UK college, life skills training was learning to drive a car. Students were trained in how to judge distance to a vehicle approaching a crosswalk by listening for the revs falloff or downshift, or a number of other vehicle sounds. They then drive these vehicles, with an instructor, on a training ground (apparently an RAF airfield) so that they could experience what the vehicle is doing. How else would a blind person Know?? They then autocross (yep) with audible cones. My son said his perception and the reality were worlds apart. Thudmaster--no disrespect meant--only a little thought prevoker. On a lighter note, when I get my car finished, he will have no problem hearing it coming
Old 04-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Johnson View Post
Actually guys-- I'm not kidding. I fully realise how these issues in the hands of a run-amok politician can become a real pain in the rear. More and more of our personal freedoms are being eroded every day, not only in the US, but out here in other parts of the world as well. I have a son, who was born blind, and is presently doing a double major in languages and law in a UK university. Part of his UK college, life skills training was learning to drive a car. Students were trained in how to judge distance to a vehicle approaching a crosswalk by listening for the revs falloff or downshift, or a number of other vehicle sounds. They then drive these vehicles, with an instructor, on a training ground (apparently an RAF airfield) so that they could experience what the vehicle is doing. How else would a blind person Know?? They then autocross (yep) with audible cones. My son said his perception and the reality were worlds apart. Thudmaster--no disrespect meant--only a little thought prevoker. On a lighter note, when I get my car finished, he will have no problem hearing it coming
Help me understand Maurice.
I would have presumed that someone who is sight impaired or blind would usually have such a heightened sense of hearing that enhancing the sound output of a hybrid would not be needed...am I off target with this thinking? Truly curious to understand more from one who knows the reality's of such a disability.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No way.... I do not believe that they are teaching blind people to drive! i mean, come on! ok.. so they can hear revs of an engine of a stopping car ahead. can they also hear the road turning ahead of them? What if they are the first car to that crosswalk where my wife and 2yr old daughter are crossing? how would a blind person know they are crossing? How about a parked car? Or the above mentioned light pole?

I'm not putting you down here Maurice, these are true concerns I would have with a blind person driving a car! I would have these concerns as a parent of a blind person also! Seems like an aweful lot of liability!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think my answers to #11 and 12 got lost in cyberspace in an earlier post.
Lineslinger, common misperception. Sight gives us 70% of our daily decision making stimuli. When it's gone,the blind listen more acutely for cues from around them. Nothing changes in the actual make-up of the ear. A good example is when we close our eyes to listen intently to music, or to a complicated explanation to us of a subject.

fsstnotch, it's not to get them driving licenses, but to help them understand the audible cues from street traffic, and to build mobility confidence. I chair a Gov transportation ideas committee here which deals with solutions for assisting the physically and sensory impaired to get about independantly.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

My pipes are loud. I wear ear plugs. Between rock concerts and a history of drag racing and hanging around loud cars, if I ever go blind I am totally screwed.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Red,

ROCK ON BROTHER !!!!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Johnson View Post
JTD,

What kind of trouble? For dealing with this problem, or for not dealing with this problem?
Maurice,

God Bless, as we all have our crosses to bear.

I would much rather our illustrious government spend the money from this orwellian program, to find a cure for blindness...just seems "they" create fictious problems, so they can solve them.

But then again what do I know...I'm just a guy who likes cars.

Stay strong.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:13 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Reader voting on that web page was 77% NO.

Why do we need to add noise when there is no problem? There have not been any accidents of hybrid cars with blind people. What if the blind people are also hearing impared?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:27 AM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     

Thought I just might chime in here having just bought a new Lexus 400H.

When you start the car, it's like turning on a light switch. There is no engine noise - you are using the battery at this point. I have noticed people walking behind the car with Absolutely No Clue that I wanted to back up. No Blind People Here. Imagine little kids playing in the driveway, and Mom needs to make a quick run to the store for some milk - this could result in a death or major injury if the kids don't hear Mom backing up, and she doesn't see them.

Every other car I have makes some noise, and the Cobra certainly isn't a problem. I do however see the No Noise Hybrid as being a potential problem.

JUST WAIT FOR RALPH NADDER TO JUMP ON THIS ONE !
AND I WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP AL GORE WITH THE GREEN PROGRAM!

TL
Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

How about this for a simple solution? All hybrids will be required to have a monsterously loud stereo that must be played when driving.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

My Prius is quiet my spf is LOUD........no problem.

My problem is with the system. One in seven cars in california have a handicap placard.

Maurice there is no animosity towards your son. I know he will not be driving. I do have a friend with serious vision problems and has beed declared legally blind. And he drives............... He passed the drivers test............OMG

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........