Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Default CA Small Block Build/Two Choices

Apologies for the somewhat cryptic title, but am looking at two options for a new small block.

First option is to purchase a new, Ford Boss 302 small block crate engine.

Second option is to have a local builder start with an original 289 small block (cast in the mid-60's), and have him build it from the ground-up.

In a discussion with the engine builder, he mentioned that the top reliable HP out of the older 289 block will be in the 400hp range. Conversely, if I start with the newer Boss 302 engine, he would have to work hard to keep it under 450hp. (I am leaving much detail out of this regarding options we are looking at for each engine).

To be honest, I am not particularly worried about the HP difference, but am wondering that if I build an engine from an original 1960's block, whether I might be able to have the engine smogged as a mid-60's engine versus having to get a permanent SB100 exemption.

Has any member in CA taken this route, big block or small block? Sincerely not trying to get around the system, just wondering what end result might be should I take the 289 route.

Thanks for your input.

Bob
Old 04-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeutsch View Post
Has any member in CA taken this route, big block or small block? Sincerely not trying to get around the system, just wondering what end result might be should I take the 289 route.Thanks for your input.
Bob
I believe that loophole is gone per Morgester. Do a search on SB100 or on Morgester.

Go with the new Boss 302. More cost effective, more HP, stronger and new.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Advice

The boss block is heaps stronger than the production 289/302 block, and for that reason alone is desirable.

That said, if your build is not going to exceed 400rwhp, there is no reason to suffer the expense of the more expensive build. A factory 289/302 block of any year will handle 400rwhp without failure; I've tuned many hundreds of them.

As far as the SB100 issue; it's only an issue if you intend to exceed 400rwhp or so and have a real need for the strength of the boss block. If you go to the CARB and register the car by engine year, they will look at the engine ID and most of these guys know what a vintage small block Ford block looks like, and where to find the numbers in the casting. So, I'd suspect there's a strong possibility a boss block would not pass scrutiny.

By the way, unless you are going to spin it above 7500rpm, build it 14:1 compression, or install a power adder, you're not going to exceed 400rwhp so that might help you decide your path. 400rwhp is around 460-470 at the flywheel.

Byron

Last edited by ByronRACE; 04-09-2008 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: just cuz
Old 04-09-2008, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Good Advice-Thanks

Did the search on "Morgester" and got my answer.

Appears that as of December 2007, date the SPCN was first registered dictates the smog standards that the engine must pass. Essentially forcing you into the SB100 route...

So, all things being equal, newer Boss 302 looks to be the better option.

The closer you get to understanding (LOL saying this word here) this whole SB100 process, when viewed from a DMV, BAR, CHP, CARB perspective, the stranger it gets.

Bob
Old 04-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

SB 100 = "The Twighlight Zone"

Find a good SB100 Sherpa and you'll make it through to the other side.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-09-2008, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Send a message via ICQ to meat
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeutsch View Post
To be honest, I am not particularly worried about the HP difference, but am wondering that if I build an engine from an original 1960's block, whether I might be able to have the engine smogged as a mid-60's engine versus having to get a permanent SB100 exemption.
SB100. Use register by Body Style. Put in whatever engine you want.

Your pal,
Meat.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

For an extra $500 over a 302 boss block, there are several blocks that come with a 4.125 bore, and capable of quite a bit more overbore. Also you can get a 8.7" deck that can take quite a bit more stroke as well (never saw an intake advertised for this deck but certainly there is one). I hear that these blocks are quite a bit better than the Ford boss block - strength and oiling.

Just wanted you to look at all your options.