Old 04-10-2008, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ff5 302 b cam carb
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby - What A Guy

Carroll Shelby Earns Auto Executive of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award
Thursday April 10, 11:05 am ET

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Shelby Automobiles, Inc. a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International, Inc., (Pink Sheets:CSBI - News) has announced that automotive icon Carroll Shelby will receive the 2008 Automotive Executive of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award, which will be presented to him during an invitation-only luncheon at the Detroit Athletic Club on April 16. This is the first time in a decade that the Automotive Executive of the Year’s annual honoree will be recognized for lifetime achievement.

ADVERTISEMENT
“Everyone at Shelby Automobiles is proud of Carroll’s distinguished career,” said Amy Boylan, president of Shelby Automobiles. “Carroll Shelby earned his stripes behind the wheel as a world class driver and at the helm of a highly successful auto manufacturing company. It’s a privilege to work for a living legend who is still one of the most important driving forces in the automotive industry today.”

The Automotive Executive of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award has recognized excellence in automotive leadership from OEM executives since 1964. Past winners include Jim Press, Bill Ford, Jr., Dieter Zetsche, Rick Wagoner, Henry Ford II, Robert Eaton, Thomas Stallkamp, Roger Smith, Harold E. Poling and Lee Iacocca. The award is presented by DNV Certification and sponsored by the Automotive Industry Action Group. The award nominating committee is composed of auto industry media, various industry analysts and automotive supplier CEOs.

“As Mr. Shelby celebrates his 85th birthday, it’s the perfect time to honor him with this Lifetime Achievement Award,” said Robert Djurovic, DNV Certification’s director of auto services–North America and chairman of the nominating committee. “His ongoing energy and commitment amazes us all. As he has done throughout his career, he continues to push the envelope—as well as everyone in the industry—to new levels of performance.”

Shelby’s inspiration and vision have made him the force behind many of the industry’s most beloved automobiles, including the Cobra, Series 1, Ford GT40, Viper, Ford Shelby Mustangs and the Ford GT. He captured three national sports car championships and earned a spot on the Aston-Martin racing team. In his driving career, he has won the 24 Hours of Le Mans and set land speed records on the salt flats at Bonneville. He is the only man to ever win Le Mans as a driver, team owner and manufacturer.

In addition to being named Sports Illustrated’s Driver of the Year in 1956 and 1957, his countless achievements in motor sports led to his induction into the Automobile Hall of Fame and the International MotorSports Hall of Fame. In 2006, Motor Trend named Carroll Shelby one of the 50 most important people in the auto industry in its first annual “power list”.

About Shelby Automobiles, Inc. and Carroll Shelby Licensing

Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby Automobiles, Inc., (www.shelbyautos.com) manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. Shelby Automobiles is a division of Carroll Shelby International, Inc. (CSBI.PK). Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc., also a wholly owned division, is the exclusive holder of Carroll Shelby's trademarks and vehicle design rights. It also holds trademark rights for Shelby-branded apparel, accessories and collectibles. For information, visit www.carrollshelby.com.

My SEX life is not dead, but the BUZZARDS are circling.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Back in the day my brother (a sports memoribilia dealer) had an opportunity to meet and spend some time with one of his idols, Joe DiMaggio. After the signings were done, bills paid I asked him how it went. He told me it was the absolute worst experience of his life. Turns out joltin' Joe was an absolute @#ick. But, one item in JD's contract was that he HAD to be introduced as "The World's Greatest Living Ballplayer"...EVERY time he was introduced! Ole' C$ must have gotten wind of it. Seems as if EVERY magazine/bio whatever leads off with the same :
"Automotive Icon Carroll......."
I wonder if this 'award' is a self-purchase like a star on the Hollywood Blvd?
Old 04-10-2008, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

I recall the time C$ paid a visit to the Cobra Day at the Haynes Museum in the UK. I was quietly impressed by the fact that when he had finished his glass of wine and decided he badly needed another (as you do), instead of throwing his glass at one of his entourage, he joined the back of the queue at the booze table and waited to be served like any other punter. I thought that showed a lack of ego. But then he clearly has his other days - reminds me of my first boss who was fine for days on end and then flew into a fury about absolutely nothing at all. No rhyme nor reason, 'twas the way he was made and you either put up with it or not. People like that are enigmas wrapped up in conumdrums. As we say in the shires: "Nowt so queer as folk.."
Old 04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

wow...as a Yorkshireman by birth, I haven't heard THAT one for ages!!!!! Like the Yorkshireman's motto...

'ear all, see all, say nowt
eat all, sup all, pay nowt
and if tha does owt for nowt
do it for thesen!!!!

Actually, that kinda describes old C$...LOL

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 04-10-2008, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

OK. I only speak Americanese, so I have no idea what that is supposed to mean
Old 04-10-2008, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Ego is a cancer that eats away any character....

Author....

Me

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Joe...ROFL...translation

hear everything, see everything but say nothing
eat everything, drink everything but pay for nothing
and if you do anything for free, do it for yourself!

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Glyn, this Yank needed that!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mark II/Built in 2002
Send a message via AIM to Pander
Not Ranked     

Ask the people at the Shelby Registry what they think of "old Carrol". Since he is suing them for the Cobra Registry rights. Carrol is an opportunist, he barrowed, bought or stole (use your own adjective) the A/C Bristol but did turn it into a icon of the automobile world that stands the test of time. The big question is how much longer is Carrol going to be standing? Their are alot of "real Shelby" owners who are waiting for the final day because their car values will double if not triple for a brief while.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 165 392 Ford Crate 430HP
Not Ranked     

Quote... "Their are alot of "real Shelby" owners who are waiting for the final day because their car values will double if not triple for a brief while"

Will the new original Cobra also double in value or just the original-original Cobra qualify.. if the new ones will double I might buy one as I need to make a quick buck.. say $200,000 for a glass original signed by the man himself.. this would be like shorting the stock market hoping old Carol will fall
Old 04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

LOL;

trs, I hope so but not likely. Signed one's might bring a few extra dollars, but the continuation series can not be compared to the original, they are SPF's at best. Look at 4000 series and SPF together with same options and color, probably couldn't tell the difference. This is great for SPF owners not so for the "Shelby" owner after sum paid 6 figures for theirs.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Enzo Farrari died, prices went up briefly, then crashed, a lot of people got burned when that happend. Then it was back to business as usual. Carroll's not waiting, burn 'em now, as it will continue when he passes on...
Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excaliber;

Well put!
Old 04-11-2008, 01:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

Or as Glyn might say - "There's trouble at mill..." (sorry must stop doing that)

Glyn: at least you have the decency to live in Austin, obviously a little piece of Longbridge transplanted to the Texican badlands...I have a friend who also moved to your village - works for a small company called Dell...you might know him..?
Old 04-11-2008, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pander View Post
LOL;

trs, I hope so but not likely. Signed one's might bring a few extra dollars, but the continuation series can not be compared to the original, they are SPF's at best. Look at 4000 series and SPF together with same options and color, probably couldn't tell the difference. This is great for SPF owners not so for the "Shelby" owner after sum paid 6 figures for theirs.
SPFs are certainly fine cars. However, the CSX 4000 cars that Hi-Tech builds (same company that manufactures SPFs) are made to completely different specifications. Thus, it is relatively easy to tell the difference between an SPF and CSX 4000 when they are next to each other.

By the way, a CSX 4000 fiberglass roller is typically less than $10k more than an SPF roller. So folks who pay "six figures" for their CSX 4000 cars are often those who have aluminum cars.

I didn't purchase my CSX 4000 as an investment. Rather, I bought the car for enjoyment. I hope you enjoy your FF.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default It's nice he gets awards for his focus in the auto industry

I thinks it's nice that CS is getting this award for what he did with a AC Bristol and Ford in the development of a special car that everyone on the forum has a special interest in and love for. I am gald he is still alive to recieve it in person. I have heard over the last year that CS has included some of his people at that time that made this cobra a winner, Ken Miles, Peter Brock, and all the engineers and drivers that made the cobra a winner. My small issues are the mechanics and motor builders that worked so hard to turn this car into a winner from a DNF. There are privateer drivers that also carried the cobra banner in winning races. These guys received little or no support from CS, and won races on there own strengths, blood, abilitities, money out of pocket and luck. CS had a hard job to do, the strength, and fire inside to get the job done. It just seams that you don't need to wave a big stick when a carrot would have done the same thing. It's like any other bussiness of how hard working "little people" get grounded up in this kind of machine and the Cream is always on top in the sunlight. Rick L.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1421 351W
Not Ranked     

Whether we agree or disagree with the man's ethics, personal standards, or business practices we cannot deny his deeds (good or bad) and accomplishments. He was the "facilitator" of that life experience/phenom we call "Cobra" I'm happy for any mortal that is alive, to be recognized for his or her achievements (its better than being memorialized!). I think those of us "in the sport" called Cobra enthusiasts might know too much about the man, and show him little mercy. Outside our sport his image is still held on a high pedestal created by history and the media...maybe that's good, and we don't appreciate it? Let's face it, when it comes to personalities and faultless ethics Enzo, Henry F., Alfred P., Harvey F. were not at the top of the list!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4812, 511" SHELBY #578, TWM throttles, electromotive EFI/DIS
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

I'm again reminded of why I rarely check this site anymore. What a bunch of small minded, jealous as*h*les! It's announced that the man will be recognized, by those that matter in the industry he has done his best for. And a bunch of you go straight to the "when's he gonna die" b.s.

Pathetic. yet typical anymore
Old 04-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The question of the value of Cobras after Carrolls passing is a legitimate question within the frame work of a "Lifetime Achievment Award", thus applicable to this thread.

The legacy he will leave behind is also applicable concerning this subject matter. He deserves the award and has earned the truth(s) that comes with it, good and bad.

Truth is, Shelby didn't just wake up one day and decide to crush his biggest fan base ever (SAAC). It's a "Lifeltime Achievment" pattern of the way he has done business for his entire career. Should we hide that part of his legacy? History will be kind to Shelbys legacy, but like any celebrity before him, it will also record the dark times, as it should.

While I admire the career of John De Lorean and his many and varied accomplishments, his legacy will be forever linked to a cocaine drug deal gone bad. A stainless steel sports car with 'snow tires'.

Last edited by Excaliber; 04-11-2008 at 09:15 AM..
Old 04-11-2008, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Silverstreak;

It is not that anyone of us don't agree that CS did not accomplish building/designing great car(s) that have stood the test of time. Nor do any of us want to see him die or waiting like ghouls for that moment. When you look at a mans life or legacy it is his entire life you look at. CS's legacy of his cars is only one part of his life the other part is his business practices and ethics and financial motivations. Which in the later years of CS's life have been overwhemingly greater than his cars he produced from 1964 till 1967. Just ask SAAC, here is a private group of people that took the time to keep records of the Shelbys produced and now CS has turned on them. But also, how many wrenches did CS turn on these cars, he had alot of help, engineers and mechanics and those are who also should be recognized to.