12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default What are the BEST brakes for 15" Wheel?

I just wanted to get other members opinions that are putting their Cobra's on the track (road course) as to what brake system do think is the very best. I am only interested in those of you running the 15" wheels. What brand are you using? How big of a rotor do you have? Are you running vented .81" rotors, 1" rotors, 1 1/8" rotors etc. Where did you get them and what did you pay.

Also, how much pucker factor do you have hitting a 70 degree corner at speed? In my opinion two of the things that make you go faster on a road course are brakes and tires.

Thanks for your input.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 04-16-2008 at 07:59 AM..
Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Doing some upgrades Clois? 15" will generally accommodate no more then a 12.19" rotor and not all will. You will have to measure to be sure and don't forget about the wheel weights if there are some sticking inside the rim. I like the wilwoods because they are reasonably priced, well made and readily available. There are a number of other really good, arguably better (such as AP who I am huge fan of), manufacturers out there but wilwood works for me. I like curved vein rotors of sufficient mass (since wheel is a limiting factor, you are looking to go wider), large pad surfaces and differentially sized multi piston calipers. If you are going to do some upgrades, take some measurements (temps etc) from your current system before you begin. IMO, chassis setup is #1.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 04-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
Doing some upgrades Clois? 15" will generally accommodate no more then a 12.19" rotor and not all will.
Correct. Here's a shot of my Sierras on the 12.2" rotor. As far as rotors go, this is about as much as you can fit on a 15" wheel. Sierra bought JFZ a few years ago, or you might want try the Wilwood Superlites. Getting everything to fit can be tricky though.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for that pic. I love chassis shots. To me, race cars where always most beautiful (although not practical) with the body work removed

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
In my opinion two of the things that make you go faster on a road course are brakes and tires.
I think your opinion on the matter is correct!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clois;
I'm running the 65/67 Licoln big brakes on my POS 65 Mustang on the front.....12" rotors are about all your gonna get with 15" wheels....the Licoln set-up probably would not be practical for your car, I'm running Wilwoods on the rear,11" rotors I think..... I'm sure Wilwood makes a "kit" that would fit your car, front and rear... I've had good luck with their products, calipers and pads are easy to find at any number of places.........

David
Old 04-16-2008, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Baer F&R. Just baerly fit between wheel weights (6 pin KO) and caliper. They have a complete package already available for cobras.

Just installed Porterfield pads, so far I really like them. Better friction, no fade.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

I need to replace my Wilwood calipers and as usual my rotors are pretty much toast at the end of a season. I want to go faster in the curves and turns but I find that parts of my anatomy are not as big as they once were. Rick Parker hit the nail on the head!

Leaning toward the Wilwoods but I want to check out the Baers and Brembo's too! After the Mid-America meet I will let everyone know how it works out. I might even post pictures.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 04-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Clois, maybe Hal Copple will chime in on this one. Olthoff installed some serious front binders on his Superformance and they fit within the stock Trigo 15" wheel. They are Wilwood components (I believe), so perhaps they would fit your application as well? Someday (after the recession) I'll probably spring for this upgrade (after bigger axles).

-Dean
Old 04-16-2008, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Dean,

I might have to send Hal a PM if he doesn't jump in here by the weekend. I was trying to decide on TKO 600 or better brakes. So the brakes won out. My Toploader is fine except on long cruises on the freeway (3700 RPM's at 75mph). I may end up switching pumpkins to a 325). Hope to have everything upgraded before June.

I am with you on the recession. I ended up paying Uncle Sam a little less than we had planned so I have a little undedicated funds. I am sure my wife would disagree but that is my story. Thanks for everyones input.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 04-16-2008, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Hi Clois,
Here's a link to the custom setup that Dennis Olthoff sells.

http://www.olthoff-racing.com/goodies.php?start=16

This is what Hal has on his car and what I've got on 1061. It's a nice setup.
Steve
Old 04-17-2008, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Steve,

Those are some good looking pads.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 04-17-2008, 05:48 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
Doing some upgrades Clois? 15" will generally accommodate no more then a 12.19" rotor and not all will. You will have to measure to be sure and don't forget about the wheel weights if there are some sticking inside the rim. I like the wilwoods because they are reasonably priced, well made and readily available. There are a number of other really good, arguably better (such as AP who I am huge fan of), manufacturers out there but wilwood works for me. I like curved vein rotors of sufficient mass (since wheel is a limiting factor, you are looking to go wider), large pad surfaces and differentially sized multi piston calipers. If you are going to do some upgrades, take some measurements (temps etc) from your current system before you begin. IMO, chassis setup is #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF1061 View Post
Hi Clois,
Here's a link to the custom setup that Dennis Olthoff sells.

http://www.olthoff-racing.com/goodies.php?start=16

This is what Hal has on his car and what I've got on 1061. It's a nice setup.
Steve
I see that Dennis and I think alike. That appears to be the GNIII caliper with the differential piston bore, six piston (read BIG pads), curved vien rotor which looks to be the HD series, 12.19" by 1.250 thick (an increase of .2 in thickness over the 1.050 and more mass) and a steel mounting bracket. Many folks sell and use and aluminum mounting bracket and I flat out don't approve. You can get the same setup with a 1.38 inch rotor that would add about 17% more mass if need be. Personally, I don't look beyond Wilwood or AP unless I have to. Wilwood for a more budget friendly weekend warrior and AP for all out racing. Not all the products are great. Such as Wilwood clutch slave which must be someones idea of a joke. Sure, they work but whom ever designed it needs to go back to school!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 04-18-2008, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Grassroots racing mag for brakes?

Clois The fast mustangs and super ford mag has alot of brake kits for sale in there. 12" rotors are the biggest to fit in a 15" rim and leave a little air to blow around. Get rotors that are slotted and stay away for the drilled ones. Drilled ones can crack under hard racing, SBBC make a whole bunch of different brake pads with different materials for hard braken. If you are going to run hard, a would add the little 4" blowers to both front wheels. You can get the air from either the 2 holes in the front of your nose that is used to blow air on your feet, or buy the originial brake ducts for the front and back rotors from Enzo. I think Morris has these in the front of his car. The blower kit, relay, and switch would cost about $90.00. For the rotors and pads, you may want to try Summit or Jegs. Just a thought. Rick L.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been checking different brakes kits or options on the internet and I can't seem to find anything made by AP Brakes that I can use on a Mustang II spindle. Does anyone have any sources for the MII Spindle?

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 04-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have you contacted them Clois? What kind of hub do you have now? I actually kind of even doubt they have a hub that will fit the Mustang II spindle.... but you never know!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com