Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Ebay help , long distance purchase

Can any one tell me a secure way to purchase car with out seeing it or how to fly in , test drive, pay and secure car to be transported at a later date.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Put a location in the title and ask for help here.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yep, mickmate's right on. Owners in the area might be able to check out what you're looking at and advise.
Larry
Old 05-16-2008, 02:32 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Put a location in the title and ask for help here.
Times 3

An alternate is to use a third party inspection company, again you need to at least put a general location as to the item you want to be inspected so we can assist you further.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-16-2008, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Morrison with Volvo runnung gear. Fiber fab kit in process
Not Ranked     

I bought a POS Cobra from pictures and talking to the owner. Never heard of POS? PILE OF SHI... There are a lot of crooks out there, Next time I'll look for a third party inspector. The car will become a Rat Rod
because its construction was so bad.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Yep,
The money you may loose is far greater than the money you spend investigating the car properly.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile Selling-buying

I sold by buddy's Cobra to a guy in the mid west. I took lots of pictures and emailed them to the buyer. I had a 17 minute video that I had taken a couple of months before of us driving around town. I mailed him a copy of it. I also took a video as I slowly walked around the car getting pictures of everything.

Dwight
Old 05-16-2008, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought my car on Ebay sight-unseen and the best advice I can give you is spend the money on the plane ticket and go see the car.

My car was on its second owner. The guy was trying to jump title because he got the car in a trade and his buddy that sells boats said he could do it. I really don't think the guy lied about anything, he just didn't know. His idea of "a few minor scratches" and mine were quite different. Also, although the car had was originally built excellent, maintenance over the last few years must have really gotten lax.

It's a great car and I'm glad I bought it, but from what the guy told me on the phone, I assumed I was going to be able to hop in and drive it. That wasn't the case. BTW...I did have a third party look at the car before I bought it and was given a thumbs up. When I confronted the third party about the problems after the fact, he said it was impossible to inspect everything. In all actuality, he was probably correct, but then again, I caught them later.

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Third party inspectors are so, so, I used one on one I bought without seeing and he was good for 150 pictures. You will get the condition of the car within 20% of what it actually is, as we all know it is the last 10% of perfection which cost 90%. We all know what one person thinks is perfect or "I never noticed that" is what the buyer always seems to find.

Bottom line if you are buying a SPF with a clean title and drivable for under $40K no need to look at it, if you are buying a BDR clean title and drivable for under $30K no need to look at it. If you are buying a SPF for $50K and it does not have a Roush, better call Dynamic and get a new one with warranty. If you are in the mid-40's jump on a plane and make a little vacation out of it.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh, transportation rates are going through the roof. Depending on where the car is getting shipped it can hit $1800!!!! You might want to search local.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

The only car (black 460 SPF) I bought on eBay turned out to be a dud. I bought it, had a friend go and pick it up from NH, and saw horrors when I got it. Thankfully, the seller was a dealer who had taken it on consignment and agreed to take it back. It cost me 16 hours of driving and a U-haul trailer+gas.

My current Cobra I saw on eBay, went to see and drive the car, and executed the transaction off line. It was 15 miles from me.

2 other cars I bought sight unseen; but from reputable people active on a car forum, and always with something or other not as advertised but small enough so it could be overlooked.

2 others I also saw online, but flew to inspect and drive the cars. A classic Mini with 40km on the odo in South Carolina, bought it and shipped it enclosed for $1100 door to door. I left a deposit, the balance a cashier's check I sent fedex to the trucker (Passport), who gave it to the seller when he picked it up and held the title for me.

The other, my CAV GT40, I saw on line and I flew to Phoenix, AZ to inspect and drive. Liked it, gave the seller a bank check I had pre-drawn before going, took the car and parked it at a friend's garage for later pick up, left the seller with the title until my check cleared. Had it shipped enclosed for $1300 AZ to NY door to door.

I hope this helps a bit but I would never buy a car without seeing or driving it, especially eBay cars. Good luck!

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 05-16-2008, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Had it shipped enclosed for $1300 AZ to NY door to door.

Not at today's gas prices. I had my first one shipped from AZ to Houston for $850 two years ago. Recently I was getting quotes of $1650 from Cincinatti to Houston. That is when diesal was under $4.00 per gallon. Do not forget with shipping there is always the chance of damage etc. I went and picked up my own car and had "free" use of an enclosed trailer and I spent $670 in fuel when gas was $3.40 per gallon. Shipping is a real and expensive cost!!