Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 351w 400hp
Not Ranked     
Default Nozzle placement 4 fire suppression system

Just ordered my Coldfire 5lbs fire suppresion system. It comes standard with 3 nozzels I was wondering and looking for suggestions on the placement of the nozzles from those who have or use the onboard fire systems. I know one should go in the drivers side in the foot well are, and another in the engind compartment, thats a gimmie, but not sure on the third. I have heard people putting 2 in the engine compartment, both sides or front to back, other put one in the passenger compartment, and yet others place on back by the fuel tank where the filler tube enters. Looking for ideas and suggestions.

PS I also plan to keep an additional smaller hand held in the passenger compartment to use as needed or be able to grap for someone else as needed.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Jim
Old 05-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Jim,

If you plan to race the car check your local track requirements. I had one on the drivers side and two under the hood, but some places are now starting to want one at the fuel tank or cell. I never put one on the passenger side. If I ever get another car I will most likely use 4 nozzles.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's some pics of my Safecraft system..

Old 05-19-2008, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There are two reasons to put that system in the car.
1. To give you additional time to escape prior to burning.
2. To control fire.

Obviously #1 is the most important to help you escape injury. For #2 look at the likely places for fires to start. Carb area and fuel pump area.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for this input, 2 under the hood since I am running a standard fuel pump would be best to control a fire, and one on the driverside. I will check and see if adding a 4th nozzel is a concer for the tank size and then consider either on the passenger side or at the fuel tank. Just was not sure if in a worse case and fire got back to the tank if a nozzel in that area would really do any good at all.

Thanks... Jim
Old 05-20-2008, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

There are a couple issues with fire systems that shouldn't be overlooked---TIME--Capacity-- you said a 5 lb system---this is a bare bones minimun --Nozzles---they aren't all the same altho the look the same--many are 3 hole and many are 6 hole--generally if 2 are used in the engine area they are 3 hole--if only one is used a 6 hole--

Drivers area---mounting location could be discussed for hours but there are only TWO varibles---what the rules require or driver preference--- the nozzle should discharge in a method that will let a driver stop the car, unfasten harness and get out----if its too hot around your feet, you might not use the brakes but would certainly let off the accelerator-- but above all, you don't want to wait for your harness to burn off to get out so you need some flow near the buckle!!!

The biggie I guess will come down to flow/time issues and not number of nozzles, but number of nozzle holes, placement( rules/personal preference) and volume of retardent--

Closed cars vs open cars will change flow characterists of the retardent
Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

I have one nozzle under the dash blowing across to the driver foot well and one nozzles mounted on fire wall in the engine compartment blowing out toward the carb and fuel system. The third I plan to route toward the fuel cell. Its a 10 pound Safe Craft fire system.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:41 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Because you are using an AFF style system, you want one mounted on the firewall pointed towards the fuel line leading to your carb. The second one gets mounted under the dash and should be aimed at the drivers footwell area. Third should be located and pointed towards your electric fuel pump. The whole idea behind a fire suppression system is to give the driver and passenger (if so equipped)extra time to exit from the car. of course with the AFF systems, you also have the benefit of knocking down the source of the fire and keeping it from reigniting.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-20-2008, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2387, 427 W, Webers
Not Ranked     
Default On the stuff you most don't want to burn

The driver, The engine and the Fuel source. All of these need to remain not on fire or really bad things happen. I have a nozzle on me aimed at the belt belly area from the dash back at the belt release. One on the fuel cell and one in the engine compartment. My racecar is not a Cobra(it is a Porsche) so the exact placement will be different based on your carb, fuel tank-cell, etc. The fire system is a good insurance measure. Good luck and good job on starting a thread which will probably bring out some really good info for all of us.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On my 65 Mustang road racer I have one on the upper/inner firewall pointed at my feet, one on the outer firewall,pointed at the rear of the carb, and the third one on the rear bulkhead,pointed at the fuel cell/fuel filter.........I run a mechanical pump, no need to worry about an electric pump, but that would be another concern........

I have recieved nothing but compliments on my system and the way it's mounting from tech inspectors at four different tracks so far..........

David
Old 05-20-2008, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So, since I am running a mechanical fuel pump, not electric, and uae a stock mustack fuek tank, not a fuel cell should the third be placed pointing at the fuel tank where the filler tube enters? I am still also considering one on the passengers compartment or possibly adding a 4th for that area.

Thanks for the input so far....

mrmustang / Bill, sent you a pm thanking you for the hiiok up with Bruce and Margaret, thats where I purchased my onboard system from.

Jim
Old 05-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim;

The nozzles on my system have three holes in them, so when deployed the "spray" would cover a wide area.....I think pointing the center of the nozzle at the middle of the tank would be sufficent, the side two holes sould cover both sides of the tank and the filler......

David
Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw427 View Post
mrmustang / Bill, sent you a pm thanking you for the hiiok up with Bruce and Margaret, thats where I purchased my onboard system from.

Jim
Jim got your PM, Bruce and Margaret are good people who will treat you right. Nozzle placement suggestion is above, I've run all of my Cobra systems the same way unless I was using a mechanical fuel pump, in which case I took the thirds nozzle and placed it on the back center bulkhead and pointed it towards the drivers footbox for my added safety.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-20-2008, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had my car equipped with one nozzle at the rear of the carb, one in the interior and one in the trunk. I also have a hand held extinguisher.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Before I forget, I also had an oil pressure switch installed that shuts off the electric fuel pump should the car stall with the key on. This would be in the case of a crash where the driver loses consciousness and the pump keeps on pumping even if the engine is not running.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great, thanks for all of the suggestions, once my system arrives I will know more details that will help with this decision, if not I am sure I will be asking again.

Again, thanks for all the help so far.

Jim