Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #703 351Windsor 450HP
Not Ranked     
Default Seeking Information

I’ve been lurking here awhile. I hope someone can answer my newbie question. As I peruse the for sale adds here and elsewhere I am struck by how many cobras are offered with so few miles – in many cases the cars are 3-4 years old and have 1,200 miles, sometimes less. Even the cars that are 6-8 years old seem to have very low miles. If I had such a beautiful car I think I would put lots of miles on it. What am I missing? Your wise counsel is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

MN-Fats,
A lot depends on the location of the car. The folks up north don't enjoy the length of good driving days we do down in Texas or Arizona. Some folks enjoy the build more than the driving. Others might have several hobbies other than the Cobra. Lots of different reasons. Ask the owner that question and see what he says. The car I bought last year was built in 2002 and only had 2800 miles on it. It sat up for awhile before I got it. Me, I drive it any time I can. I love it!
Steve
Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think location has a lot to do with it, but some just don't drive them very often. They spend more time sitting in the garage covered up than anything else.

I drive mine whenever I can but I only have 5 mile commute to work so I still don't rack up many miles on a day to day basis but I have put over 2000 on it since Christmas.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF Daytona Coupe #211, SPF,1037 sold
Not Ranked     

Thats a good question! I bought my SPF 1037 (built in 2001) last June and it had almost 1,800 miles. I've since put 1,000 miles on it since
Location does have alot to do with it. I put the cobra to bed for its long winter's nap in October, and she didn't wake up until May!! So almost 8 months of no driving. Plus, living in Cleveland, it's been an unusually wet Spring so no weekend driving here lately.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Sp931
Not Ranked     

Location is just a small portion of the problem. Many guys buy these cars thinking they will be user friendly like the family car but just a whole lot faster. Turns out the top is a pain to put up and with the side curtains installed the inside just got a whole lot smaller. There is no radio cause you can't hear one anyways and it's likely that your wife won't ride in the car due to the noise and stinky exhaust. With the top up in the rain the car still leaks water and you soon will feel like a fish in a fish bowl. If you don't drown from the rain it's likely that you will over power the car and find yourself in a ditch. You wanted honest and you got it here. Oh and it's a real pain to register one of these cars in many states now, I have been thru that drill !!! If you get hit or worse wreck your car look for a very long wait while you haggle with the insurance companies and try to get replacement parts.
How do I know all this stuff ?? I just sold my Superformance that I bought in 2000 and had just 5100 miles when it left my workshop. I bought a new Corvette to replace it and it's way more fun to drive and can be used as a dailey driver with no problems.

McDoo Former owner of SPF931
Old 05-23-2008, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

Mn-Fats,
I wondered that my self when I started looking to purchase a cobra replica. Location is a big factor (I can drive mine about 7 months out of the year) and I don't think many of the people who buy these use them as a daily driver. I don't do long trips in mine (although plenty of others do). I expect mine to stay relatively low mileage for a long time.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn-fats View Post
I’ve been lurking here awhile. I hope someone can answer my newbie question. As I peruse the for sale adds here and elsewhere I am struck by how many cobras are offered with so few miles – in many cases the cars are 3-4 years old and have 1,200 miles, sometimes less...
I have posted on this issue a number of times. There is a "sweet spot" for predominantly street-driven Cobras and that spot is well below 500hp. Many of those lo-mileage Cobras were "over-built" by their owners. Ask Excalibur about his experience in turning a not-so-fun Cobra in to a mucho-fun Cobra.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR - 351 / 385 hp
Not Ranked     

Mn-Fats

A simple reason for what you are seeing in the sale ads is that those are the folks that, for one reason or another, are not happy with the car. There are thousands more out there that aren't for sale, owned by some very happy people
Old 05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF Daytona Coupe #211, SPF,1037 sold
Not Ranked     

MN-Fats, I think McDoo just told you some of the reasons to get a Cobra! McDoo is correct of most of his points. They are Loud (sidepipes), Stinky (no catalytic convertor),
No power steering (u don't need one anyway), No radio (exactly!)or any of the luxury items found on most cars since the mid 60's. I know i didnt buy a Cobra thinking it was as user friendly as a family car (such as a Corvette). It's Raw and real and not very forgiving. But thats why we buy them. They are a replica of a 1965 COBRA. As for insurance, please look at the Insurance that sponsors on this web site. I think you will be surprised at the low cost. As for parts, I know that Superformance has a dealer network that is superb, and is as easy to get parts as GM. Registering my Cobra was no problem in Ohio. California has a Senate Bill 100 that you have to deal with, but your in Minnesota, check with your local DMV. McDoo, how much is a replacement bumper on your new Corvette? As for the rain, McDoo is right...your interior would get wet. There is no roof on these cars...yes the top can be difficult to put on your first time, but i wouldnt know since i never used it. Nice dry sunny days for me and mine. Not like the rugged Corvette's that tromps thru the snow and hail in Carmel, California, LOL. MN-Fats, Look through the old threads. it will give you a complete background and probably what to expect. You wont go wrong with a Replica Cobra, its way more fun to drive!!
Old 05-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I bought a 99 SPF (#532) late last August and it had close to 4200 miles on it at that time. Original owner did not drive it much.

I have since put close to 2000 miles on it. And considering how lousy the weather is here in the Seattle area, that's not bad. I should also mention that I don't drive it in the rain.

I personally believe the reason for so many low mileage cars is that people buy them without fully understanding how primative they are.

Same thing happened when my wife bought an Infiniti FX35. Lot's of new buyers did not realize that it was built on the 350Z chassis. After they bought it they complained about the ride being to stiff.

By the way, I love how primative it is.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Sp931
Not Ranked     

noblec5.. wrote

As for parts, I know that Superformance has a dealer network that is superb, and is as easy to get parts as GM.
McDoo, how much is a replacement bumper on your new Corvette? As for the rain, McDoo is right...Not like the rugged Corvette's that tromps thru the snow and hail in Carmel, California, LOL.

LOl.....I think I know you from SCOF but not sure...

As for parts availability that can be a really BIG issue on some of these cars and is no were near the level of parts availability that you will find with a modern production car. I know of many that have waited way too long to get that $1500 replacement windshield.

As for the rear bumper why would I even care what it costs ! Have
you priced the cost of a rear clip lately ? Cobra's don't quite qualify under the 5 mph crash test........

I was just pointing out some features of the Cobra that he may not have considered and nothing more. I owned my SPF for 8 years and I have no regets at all. It's fun car for what it is but at some point you get tired of all the battles and just need to move on.

McDoo