Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     
Default Registration in Fl. Help me get on the road

I am in the process of registrering my Cobra in the state of Florida. I currently live in FLorida. And my kit was ourchased in Florida. Can some please let me know what to expect when I go down to the DMV.

I purchased my Cobra in pieces from Everett Morrison 7+ years ago. At the time of purchase I paid sales tax on the kit.

Questions

1. Do I have to pay sales tax at the time of registration again?

2. Most of the parts are new and ordered them from the internet from Jegs & Summit Racing. I did not pay taxes on these parts so will I get taxed on these parts?

3. The engine block is a 1965 427 side oiler. At the time of purchase I did not pay taxes. This was purchased used in the state of Florida. Will I be charged tax on this?

I have been getting different information. Please let me know those of you with Street beast and Everett Morrison cars or any other kit company that has company in Florida & registered in Florida what your experience was like.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

Realizing there is occasionally a variance between what the law requires and what might actually come to pass, the quick answers are:

1 No, not if you have the receipt or can get another one. A replacement might need the signature proofed.
2 Yes, you will be expected to pay the 6% sales tax when you apply for the title.
3 Yes, unless you used this block in a registered car in your own or your wife's name and can show that the taxes on that vehicle were paid, you will be expected to pay the tax on the engine. Be sure you still have the documents to prove the purchase price from the bill of sale OR you will have to pay based on current value price.

Paperwork rules.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington
Old 05-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

50 State DMV

State by State Custom-Built Car Registration Info

FL DMV

Florida DMV Registration for Custom Built, Kit Cars, & More - DMV.ORG
Old 05-29-2008, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the response.

Just curious, why would I have to pay taxes on the parts that I ordered from the internet?

If I were to purchase these parts for my daily driver, I would never have to pay taxes on these parts.

What is the difference?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 5546 351w
Not Ranked     

Even though my kit came from out of state I am in the process of applying for a title in Florida now. It is turning into a nightmare.

They rejected my application for a "replica" title because I did not buy a completed car. Even though the titling definition states it is a new car manufactured to look like an old car, which seems to fit my car.

I do not believe I fit the definition for a "kit car" title because the definition states a rebodied existing car.

They were supposed to call me back yesterday but didn't. I think it will probably be a "assembled from parts" title.

I do not know yet what other receipts they will ask for in addition to the invoice from the manufacturer and the MCO.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Mikey. Where are you in Florida? Florida has generally been one of the easiest states to register a replica in. Rick
Old 05-29-2008, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm in Bradenton, that's in Manatee County. I was told they have been titling these wrong. I don't agree but have not had much of a chance to state my case yet. I have talked to plenty of other people who have had no issues whatsoever.

The lady from the state I talked to said the county was doing it wrong and the state is trying to figure it out.

If that is the case I cannot think of a car that would be titled as a replica. It would have to have a standard VIN number according to the lady from the state.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Form TL-41 (application for title) found here...

DMV Procedures Manual - Title and Lien

And a form 8240 for sales tax paid/due

DMV Procedures Manual - Forms

The vehicle will need to be inspected by one of the folks at the DMV for safety requirements. (air bags are listed on the 41 form, but it doesn't say they're required) The form also states you must produce receipts for all major components. (engine, trans, and body/frame)

The person will likely be overwhelmed by the car anyway and won't notice this...

As to the question of sales tax, in Florida (like most states) it's sales/use tax (which ever they can get you for) and any out of state purchases must be claimed and you pay any difference in tax. ie: you buy a transmission in another state and pay 4% tax on it, you then are supposed to pay the additional 2% to FL.

This is only enforced on businesses and major purchases as the state never audits individuals. They can (and do) catch you during the titleing process, but don't go after everyone getting stuff through mail order.

BTW form 83045 looks interesting...

Last edited by Ronbo; 05-29-2008 at 10:17 AM..
Old 05-29-2008, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ronbo,

So your Kirkham is titled as a kit car? If anybodys car deserves a replica designation I would think a Kirkham does, but like mine Kirkham does not sell a completed car according to their website.

I was looking at Form TL-48 that was passed in July of last year. I think this better represents the cars we are building.

Our cars don't meet the requirements of Form 83045.

Mike

Last edited by Mikey_P; 05-29-2008 at 10:46 AM..
Old 05-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mikey. I believe they will use the form 82040 which is used for any vehicle, or trailer, to register it and obtain a title. According to the kit car legislation passed last year they will title it as the year of the car it is meant to replicate. I had an antique plate on my Unique FIA cobra. You simply need to have your Manufacturers Certificate of Origin and an invoice from them showing that they sold you the frame (chassis) and the body. You then need invoices for components, at what ever value you paid or declare. You must pay the sales tax on the value of the complete vehicle - as you would when buying a new car. They will deduct from that any sales tax that you have paid for the car or it's components - as long as you have the receipts to show that you paid tax. Good Luck. Rick
Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mikey. I just looked at TL-48. It applies to YOUR CAR. It is a replica car manufactured by Everett Morrison. As it states, they require TWO forms. One is 82040, Application for Certificate of Title, the second is the completed Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, transferring ownership to you. That is it - other than paying sales taxes and title fees. Rick. email me at rdurkin@comcast.net if you want to exchange phone #'s to talk about this. RD
Old 05-29-2008, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,
Oh how I wish that were true for me. I was just told this on Tuesday, they will not title my car as a replica, which is the only designition that allows you to put on the title the year it is a replica of.

I filled out the form 82040 and gave them my MCO and my invoice, not good enough.

The DMV has not called me back so I don't know where I am now.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

PS I also filled out that form. Oh and I have an FFR. I sent you an email
Old 05-29-2008, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is where I got my information.

Easy Steps to Title in Florida. FFR5310RD is Legal! - FFCobra.com - Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
Old 05-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mikey. It seems like you gave them too much information and maybe confused them. FFR is a manufacturer, and they manufactured your Replica Cobra. You assembled some components, and added the motor. If you simply drove it in, filled out the paperwork along with the MCO from FFR, and provided your insurance coverage, there shoudn't have been an issue. Don't understand it.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just got off the phone with the regional office of the DMV. I am only one of many they have on hold.

The lady could not give me one name of a company that manufactures cars that would fall in the "replica" catagory.

What they want to title as a replica is a manufactured car, not a kit missing motor and tranny but a completed car. None of the companies do this that I know of.

As far as giving them too much information, I gave them a completed title application, a copy of the FFR invoice, the MCO, a blank check and then left. They said they would contact me in about 3 days to come and pick up my title.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mikey, just curious, is your car completed? Can you drive it to the DMV?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,

No, car is not done. It should be on the road in less than a month but without paint. I not sure about the paint yet and would like to have it done before my son comes back from Iraq. I would like to be done when he is here.

I thought I would take care of the title first so when it was done I would just have to register it and be done. Thats what I get for thinking.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, Your email address comes back as undeliverable.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: hurricane 1075
Not Ranked     

I went throught the same drama in wpb county each office is different and has different info
the first place I went said it needed to be inspected ( which I new was not true) so I went to another office they said no can't do it. went to the third place and the girl at the desk said sure no problem then she went on break so someone steped in for her and continued typing away untill she asked if that was my signiture
I told her yes then she said I need to get a odometer disclosure statement from the manufacture? huh
I called the manufacture(hurricane)while at the counter and they told me they never filled them out but I was not going to argue with the women i was working with
I was ready to walk away and she called me back and told me if I would fill out odometer exeption form I could get a title now and who was I to argue

needless to say 5 min later I walked out with antique plates and a title reading 1965 hurricane cobra

some one else reg. a hurricane in florida right after me and he was done in 5 min. at the first office he hit

as far as I know florida is the most lax state when it comes to componet cars

Bobby