26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Which Company makes "best" replica?

Hi,

New to this forum and did the perfunctory search before posting. Didn't see a thread dedicated to this question, although I was surprised.

So, here it goes:

I am interested in acquiring a Turn-Key 427 Cobra replica. There appear to be about 10-15 reputable sources (Classic Roadsters II, B&B, etc.).

So, someone who knows more then I do (which is any of you!), please tell me the positives and negatives of the most popular, reputable and reliable replica manufacturers. I would like as historically and cosmetically accurate as possible, and it's GOT to be reliable and perform well.

Which company did you buy? Why? And are you happy thus far with your purchase?

Thanks,

-Matt
Thanks!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Not Ranked     
Default It may seem like a maze..

Hi,

Just like I was when I first decided to get into a Cobra, clueless. I came here and asked the same questions you ask. Having said that, there are threads in this forum dedicated to the subject of your questions.

You may want to do a search and you will find hundreds of different opinions and preferences. You may want to consider what is your max budget as that will determine in some measure what brand you could start investigating.

I have purchased three Cobras by two different manufacturers and they have both being great. Superformance and Unique, both great Companies and Cars.

Good luck in your search. Please use the search feature in this website.

Welcome aboard.

Juan

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 05-29-2008, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #492/ 427/482 Keith Craft. Simple, Clean.
Not Ranked     
Default Best Cobra

My vote: Kirkham. Aluminum. Quality. Great folks. Call Joe Weight.

al
Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Matt,

If you go to the "Forums" you will find a list of most of the manufacturers. This is a good place to start in reviewing threads.

The range of prices will also help you decide which way to go. You will need to figure out your budget and target a car in that range. If you are on an unlimited budget go get yourself a Shelby or a Kirkham.

The next driver of decision will be do you want a turnkey or do you want the build experience.

I see that you live in NJ. On June 7th there is a Cobra Pizzaque in Washington Crossing State Park in PA. (New Hope area) Just across the river from NJ. There will be close to 50 cobras present. Why don't you plan on going and ask the owners lots of questions. A good number of different manufacturers products are present. Even a couple of completely home built cars. (There is a thread with more specifics)

Good luck in your research. Once you narrow your choices I would recommend visiting the manfacturers in person. There are a few companies in the Northeast you could probably easily visit with a day trip.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR-4000 under construction
Send a message via AIM to Don DePontee
Not Ranked     

Kirkham, as pure as it gets.
Don
Old 05-29-2008, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

The annual SAAC meet is in August in NJ and there should be lots of cobras there also.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Historically and cosmetically accurate. With that criteria, the Shelby American continuation series cars - in fibreglass or aluminum. Kirkham aluminum bodied cobra (they have supplied Shelby with bodies and the Kirkham cars are jewells). ERA, they will build you a turnkey to your specs - 9 - 12 months turnaround, and their bodies are "nuts on" replicas of the originals, including details of the interior, engine compartment and trunk (they use a 3"*4" rect tube chassis rather than round tube). Those would be the top 3 for "cosmetic accuracy", then Superformance - a very high quality "turn key minus" with a large dealer network and inventory on the floor. Can't go wrong with one of those 4. Check them all out - that is part of the fun. Rick
Old 05-30-2008, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Shelby makes the "best" replica.
Then Kirkham and then ERA.
IMHO of course.
Larry
Old 05-30-2008, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=LMH;846575]Shelby makes the "best" replica.
Then Kirkham and then ERA.

my fav 3
Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 429CI
Not Ranked     

The one you own is the best.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Factory Five if you want bang for the buck. Excellent frame and geometry, low cost while still being nice. Kirkham if you want the very best money no object. The finest engineering you can get in a cobra. Superformance if you want everything basically done when you get it to just pop in an drivetrain and go. In the middle of the pack. FFR's and Superformances are fiberglass and will not dent. Lots of places to fix glass body damage that just happens when you drive the car in the real world. Aluminum, 1/4 of the weight of Fiberglass, cool factor , but you have to search out your repair options. +/- to everything. But the most important thing is to just GET A COBRA! -John
Old 05-30-2008, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

You may be entering the market at the right time if you are looking for a used model.

Patients may provide a bargain.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance

Contact Shane Miller at Dynamic Motorsports...BUT...it will take about 4-6 months and cost about 55K....I am very happy with mine....but if you want it fast, this is a great market for used Cobra's and any of the major turnkey products would likely be all you want...
Old 05-30-2008, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC
Not Ranked     

I was preparing to build a FFR using the complete kit. I added up the costs and just when I was getting ready to buy I found a Unique 427 with a Super FE stroked to 452 with under 2000 miles on it for much less than what it would have cost me to build. I love the Unique and with apologies to the FFR guys I think is much nicer. Take a hard look at the used market and be realistic in your build cost estimates. It will cost much more to build than one would think.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #678 427SO/468 Cu in.
Not Ranked     
Default Era 678

I bought my ERA 3 years ago and have less than 3000 miles on her due to family and business obligations. I belong to a great club on Long Island and can hardly attend any functions due to my business in refrigeration keeping me busy all summer. If you are looking for and ERA built car iwith every option, check out mine on cobra country or look at my pix. It breaks my heart to sell but if I cannot drive her, might as well let someone else enjoy the ride.
Mike
Old 06-02-2008, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: pacific roadster, 408 stroker by t & l engines, dyno'd 488hp/ 450ft lb torgue at 6000rpm
Not Ranked     
Wink which cobra ?

jsut a suggestion but may i throw out our name to look at, please check out www.pacificroadster.com, we are family owned and offer our own version of the cobra replaica, you maight get ahold of kit car builder magazine buyers guide, my car is on pg 30 titled orange crush. give us a call if you would like, thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

I saw an ERA beside a real CSX......I thought the ERA looked more original
Old 06-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean View Post
Well that's sure to irritate people.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean View Post
I guess if you keep the shiny side up or don't open the hood, the ERA looks very original. But with the shiny side up, I'm not sure I could tell whether an ERA or CSX looks more original.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

This is a question that has bounced around in different forms on this site. My standard answer is the best Cobra replica brand is the one parked in your garage. When I was looking to buy, basically, I wanted a street car that I could have fun with. My cobra is not a daily driver, but I drive it as often as I reasonably can. I believe the ranking LMH gives is likely, absolutely correct for an anatomically “correct” cobra. I decided against the CSX continuation car pretty quickly. It would be nice to answer the “Is it real?” question “yes” but I would know the complete answer would be “yes, it is a CSX car but it not an original”. I believe the CSX continuation car has more in common with present day replicas than it does with the originals (have you seen the fit and finish of an original?). Since I am not obsessed with my car being absolutely identical to an original and considering how I wanted to use the car, it did not make sense to me to pay the additional cost of the CSX series. To be honest, the aluminum body of the Kirkham sacred me off. I am sure these are more robust than the old aluminum bodies of the past but I just did not want to worry about dents. I have seen a Kirkham and it was, without question, an outstanding car. If you like the idea of an aluminum body and can afford the extra cost, you can’t go wrong with a Kirkham. I’ve not seen an ERA but they too get excellent reports. There is about a year wait if you want a turn key ERA (if you order an SPF, rather than buy from the showroom floor, there is also a bit of a wait for the SPF). Also, I am not aware of a dealership type of network for ERA. I’m sure that getting parts to an ERA is not a problem but my guess is that most ERA guys do the repairs themselves. Because of my particular situation, any project beyond really short and simple would take me forever to get done. I like the idea of a dealer with a service dept. available. The car I thought suited me best was the SPF. The car is a manufactured car but the SPF factory is not like a Ford or GM factory. There is no conveyer belt assembly and there is a good bit of hand-work in the SPF. It is not a perfect clone of the original but I have gotten the “is it real?” question at least a 1000 times. Although I would not describe any of these replicas as particularly user-friendly, I think the SPF is about as user-friendly as it gets (e.g., slightly higher side pipes make life a bit easier sometimes). I really enjoy my SPF although I’m sure I would enjoy any of the other brands as well.