LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

I cannot lie...it does give me a woody.

But anybody that knows me and has read my stuff here knows damn well I appreciate them all. I drove a Butler made in 1981 during the late 90s through 2002, competed and won several autocross championships in it, drove it across Death Valley and beyond with mi amigos and replaced parts that broke from rebuilt or new parts from various car mfgs...and I swear the woody I got from it was every bit as big as the one I get now.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattnshilp View Post
What is the difference cosmetically between an ERA and an FFR/BDR?

I can certainly understand that engineering (on the inside) makes a HUGE difference in price and quality. But shouldn't they all look pretty much the same?

My goal is to enjoy a "Cobra" style replica that I can drive down the street and feel like I am driving a little bit of Americana. If the front fender flare comes out 10 degrees instead of the real Cobra's 12 degrees, that doesn't bother me. I guess that's why I want to know what the difference is cosmetically. I need to know if the difference is enough to justify (in my case) the added expense.

And, how about safety? Are they all about the same in that regards? Will an ETA handle a crash better then an FFR?

Thanks again!

-Matt
Matt,

First stop ETA, it is ERA.

The average onlooker will either have no clue to what you are driving but think it is cool or loud or both, or they will know that it is a Cobra (and think it is cool or loud or both).

The differences in cars go beyond 10 or 12 degrees.
Here is a link from ERA that compares Superformance and ERA
http://www.erareplicas.com/427/spf.htm

You can see some of the visual differences in this link. Although even in this comparison some of the camera angles and shading make a difference.
http://www.erareplicas.com/427/profiles/index.htm

The safety difference is this, your ability as a driver. Any Cobra that get t-boned will create issues for the driver or passenger. Overall, however most hold up well. There are plenty of pictures of wrecked Cobras that will give an indication of what happens in the passenger area.

Before purchasing my car I talked to at least 10 people who had owned 2 or more brands of Cobra with one of those brands being an ERA what their thoughts were. I can only recall 1 of those people having difficulty with choosing the ERA product. I would suggest that you find people who have owned or have extensive experience with 2 or more brands. Those people can provide you real differences.

Sounds like you have time to do the research. Good luck and enjoy.

My choice was ERA. I was up at the ERA factory prior to making my decision and met a guy who I thought was picking up his new car. Turned out his car was about 17 years old. I ended up purchasing mine already built. My car is now 14 years old (from end of build) and has no problems other than me as a mechanic. I have no regrets and will probably place an order for a street version 427 within the next year.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:08 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWheaton View Post
Matt,

First stop ETA, it is ERA.
Considering how long it takes to get a turnkey ERA, I think that acronym is appropriate....
Old 06-02-2008, 04:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Considering how long it takes to get a turnkey ERA, I think that acronym is appropriate....

PS -- I think the wait time is down to around 6 months now.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

I ordered mine at the end of March. In 2007. It is just now going back to ERA from the painter. However, I ordered mine at the worst possible time when the backlog was pretty heavy. Mine was started in late September. The paint has been done for a while now, there just wasn't room at ERA. But from everything I've seen along the way, it should be worth it.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: pacific roadster, 408 stroker by t & l engines, dyno'd 488hp/ 450ft lb torgue at 6000rpm
Not Ranked     
Wink which cobra ?

jsut a suggestion but may i throw out our name to look at, please check out www.pacificroadster.com, we are family owned and offer our own version of the cobra replaica, you maight get ahold of kit car builder magazine buyers guide, my car is on pg 30 titled orange crush. give us a call if you would like, thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

I saw an ERA beside a real CSX......I thought the ERA looked more original
Old 06-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean View Post
Well that's sure to irritate people.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Contemporary did the same thing with their S/C model. Virtually identical from the outside, much different on the inside.
Speaking of structural strength, any of you guys with jack pads ever actually use them or are they just cosmetic?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing View Post
Contemporary did the same thing with their S/C model. Virtually identical from the outside, much different on the inside.
Speaking of structural strength, any of you guys with jack pads ever actually use them or are they just cosmetic?
As I recall, even originals tended to dimple when jacked that way. But the answer is "No." Another benefit of the rectangular frame is that jacks tend to slip off them less frequently.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean View Post
I guess if you keep the shiny side up or don't open the hood, the ERA looks very original. But with the shiny side up, I'm not sure I could tell whether an ERA or CSX looks more original.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

In my opinion, unless some independent firm performs some type of physcial testing of all the frames from the various manufacturers, calling the ERA the best of anything (engineered, original, etc.) is just hyperbole. Nonetheless, it's one of the best.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

Whatever your feelings are I don't think I would use the ERA site that compares the ERA to a SPF as an unbiased presentation. For example the site states: "The Superformance chassis uses 100mm x 50mm x 4mm wall (Approximately 4" x 2" x 0.160") tubing for their main rails." Then desribing the ERA it states: "The E.R.A. chassis uses 4" x 3" x .125" wall tubing for its main rails." Note, for wall thickness of the ERA rail it states .125" rather than the more acceptably used presentation of 0.125" (the way they did do it with the SPF). The way the ERA sites states it one might mistakenly think the ERA has a thicker rail wall than the SPF.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My Excalibur would twist like a pretzel if you picked up one corner, for a frame chasis stiffness test, thats good enough for me.

My ERA is incredibly stiff, pick up one corner and the whole car moves with it. Never had the chance to jack up an SPF.

Point is: The strength comes from how it is built more than the material thats being used. A square frame or a round can easily twist if it isn't designed properly. Seems pretty clear though that sqaure is stronger than round over all.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

It's not clear to me that square is better than round, but I'm not an engineer. Unless a firm like Failure Analysis is involved, where they perform destructive testing on each and every frame/chassis, again, it's all conjecture. Also, engineering doesn't just stop at the frame. What about the rest of the car?

Also, someone earlier in this thread said that ERA has made more improvements to their car in the past year than most manufacturers make ever, but none of them are specified. Are the list of these accomplishments noted on the ERA website. Again, the ERA is a fantastic car, but so are many of the others.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Also, someone earlier in this thread said that ERA has made more improvements to their car in the past year than most manufacturers make ever, but none of them are specified. Are the list of these accomplishments noted on the ERA website. Again, the ERA is a fantastic car, but so are many of the others.
When ZOERA-SC7XX wrote that statement I believe he was referring to the massive changes that took place beginning with car #731 (2006). The statement was a bit "over-zealous."
Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

The question: "Which Company makes "best" replica?"

My 2.5 cent answer: Kirkham (hands down)

Good luck, John
Old 06-02-2008, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 208, 428CJ
Not Ranked     

My 2.5 cents answer : ERA hands down !! ( then again I am bias)
I am on my second ERA and this car is now 21 years old....looks brand new....19000 miles, original paint and not a sress crack anywhere, runs awesome !!!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

never seen a stress crack on any Kirkham either, must be the extra strong frame
Old 06-02-2008, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII 351W/408 Stroker
Send a message via AIM to capteddie
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattnshilp View Post
Finally, I have not seen "Classic Roadsters II" on the list anywhere... Are they not worth considering compared to the ones listed above?
CRII is currently no longer in business.

There was someone working on purchasing the assets of CRII, but that has not happened as of the last week or so. There is a good chance CRII is gone for good.

Ed