Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2112 *427 stroker windsor
Not Ranked     
Default buckshot racefab side pipes

Need sidepipes. Please respond if you have buckshot side pipes.
-how is the manufacturing quality
-any rattling sounds or crackling on off throttle deceleration
-do you have 3inch core or 2.5inch
Old 06-01-2008, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Their website is http://www.buckshotracefab.net/
Old 06-01-2008, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra SC, 514CID
Not Ranked     

Carmine

The pipes you are refering to were designed by Ron Roberts and previously marketed through Buckshot. The same pipes are now marked through www.fireflyperformance.com You can see the pipes, options and prices at the new web site.

I have these pipes with a 3" mufflers on my car. No rattles, they look fantastic and I picked up 40+ HP with my 514. You can see my dyno sheet at the Firefly web site

Give me a shout if you have any more questions

Craig craigayl@comcast.net
Old 07-13-2008, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In regards to the post from craigayl@comcast.net, he most certainly has his wires crossed. You can view the original pipes at buckshotracefab.net My husband and I also have quite a few patent pendings for our products.My husband and Ron designed the pipes in our shop in Carleton, MI. This was a partnership on the superformance sidepipes as posted by craigal in 2004-2007 however.......... The dyno sheet that craig is referring to was definately done with his car, however, my husband hand built the pipes that were on that car for those runs. And Craig is fully aware of this fact. They were not Firefly Performance pipes, Firefly was just created in 2007. These are the same pipes that are on Craig's car today. All of the Firefly Performance sidepipes are direct copies of Buckshot Racefabs original stainless steel sidepipes. Our shop sits on 5 acres in the town of Carleton. Ron and my husband were talking at one time about building a shop to house several Cobra cars on our property. Ron lives in a subdivision with a 2 car garage which at the time had no tools to speak of. Our shop is fully equipped with the tools required to fabricate anything. My husband is a certified welder and is a machine repairman/journeyman with Ford Motor Company. He is also a certified master mechanic. We have been building streetrods, racecars, customs etc. for over 35 years. Buckshot has been in existence since the early 70's

You need to ask yourself this question: "Why did Craigayl post from 2004 until 2007 touting the partnership and results of Buckshot Racefab/Dean and Ron and all of a sudden everything is Firefly and Ron". Why do you think this is? My husband and I know the real reason and so does Craig and Ron.

Last edited by barnwidow; 07-13-2008 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: spacing
Old 07-13-2008, 06:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Most interesting exchange. Kind of makes you wonder what's up with these folks.. Sure do like the looks of the side pipes though.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 07-13-2008, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thank you

Thank you so much Dan

Barnwidow
Old 07-13-2008, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Who's Ron Roberts?

I have a set up BUCKSHOT sidepipes. I've been to Dean's shop and was very happy with his work. He finished mine back in Mar/Apr of this year. If you would like I can send you some pics. The nice thing is, Dean can accomidate anyone's wishes. He did a custom set of stainless steel headers when he did my sidepipes. The SS pipes look tremendous but you have to stay up on polishing as you would with any SS product. I'll warn you that there are alot of "bolt-on" products out there. To get the best performance you really need to get custom pipes for your particular application. Dean can do this at competitive pricing, I know because I researched this before deciding on Buckshot.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 514 ci
Not Ranked     

I got mine from Ron as Craig said above. I worked with Ron, since as a SPF owner, he came up with the idea of creating something specifically for the SPF cars and did the design work. It took him a good year, maybe two in design and testing. I believe Craig had one of the very early sets of pipes (maybe the first) and touted them strongly. Craig is one of the few people in this world who I would trust with everything I have so I followed his lead. I had one of the first one piece pipes and am very happy with them. They look and sound great and added meaningful performance to my 514. I have never heard of Dean before so I have no opinion about him. Now it WAS Buckshot that Ron was partnered up with and you can probably get Ron's design from Buckshot. I don't know what caused "the break up of the love afair" but obviously there was a separation and Ron took his design to his own company. If I was looking for another set of pipes, I would seek Ron out again. I can't imagine going to anyone else but that is just me.... and as I said, I never heard of dean so that is not meant to be a slap against him. Good luck with whatever pipes you buy.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for the reply StreetSnake. She sure did look good at London. Will include pics on updated website soon.

Barnwidow

Old 07-13-2008, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In regards to Gary Osborne, you my friend have been misinformed as well. These pipes were the results of Ron Roberts showing Dean his brand new SPF and asking what Dean thought. Dean's response was, "It's a really nice piece but, the pipes are lacking". This is how it all began. Ron asked Dean if he thought he could do better and Dean's response was, "I can do way better", and thus the partnership began with Dean building the pipes at our shop. Craig Aylsworth's pipes were hand built by Dean at Buckshot Racefab. Dean has built many other peoples pipes and many other parts for the cobra. Ron's design is Ron and Dean's Buckshot design. Unfortunately only one person is getting the credit when there should be two people getting credit ( Buckshotdean) also. Thanks for the reply although someone else is trying to take the credit. We are pleased to hear that you are happy with Buckshot Racefab pipes.

Last edited by barnwidow; 07-16-2008 at 06:26 AM..
Old 07-13-2008, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 514 ci
Not Ranked     

"thus the partnership began with Dean building the pipes at our shop....... Unfortunately only one person is getting the credit when there should be two people getting credit ( Buckshotdean) also. Thanks for the reply although someone else is trying to take the credit. We are pleased to hear that you are happy with Buckshot Racefab pipes.[/quote]"

Barnwindow,

Well thanks for the speedy reply....BUT....I don't think anyone is trying to "take" the credit unless it is you on behalf of your husband. You admit that there was a partnership. I know someone other than Ron actually did the crafting / welding. If Dean both designed and crafted the pipes....where is the partnership? Based on your description, wouldn't that make Ron a customer....not a partner?

I posted MY experience in response to a question. MY experience was good based on MY business dealings with Ron..... I have never spoken to or heard of Dean and therefore cannot say anything good or bad about him or his work. I CAN highly recommend Ron because I found him to be honest, forthright to do business with, helpful and the pipes were great except for a few minor blemishes around the welds that I decided I could live with. If I wanted some more pipes like I bought, I would go to Ron. That is MY answer to the gentleman who asked the question.

So I am NOT misinformed regarding MY expereince and MY opinion. As for the business relationship between your husband and Ron, I really could not care any less and have no dog in that hunt.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra SC, 514CID
Not Ranked     

What a hoot… Leave home for the day and come home to a barrage of emails and phone messages asking “what’s up on Club Cobra?”

Well, now that I have read, I hesitate to even respond. I really hate this kind of banter on and otherwise terrific forum, but feel I must because I feel that I have been personally attacked and Club Cobra members have been left with a lot of confusing information.

6 weeks ago I posted to a request from Carmine “The pipes you are referring to were designed by Ron Roberts and previously marketed through Buckshot. The same pipes are now marked through www.fireflyperformance.com”... A statement of fact..

To which, barnwidow now proclaims “craigayl@comcast.net, he most certainly has his wires crossed”

Not sure which wires I have crossed. Having known Ron Roberts for many years and of his automotive, performance, related background, I first confronted Ron with the question in 2003 on how we could improve the exhaust, for more performance, on my Superformance Mark III with a 514ci engine. Throughout 2004 I conversed with Ron during the design phase of these pipes. When completed, Ron delivered a set to me and I bolted them on. I also did sound and dyno testing for Ron, as did other Superformance owners. I wrote a check for the pipes to Ron, so which wires are crossed certainly has me confused…. Yes, I was aware that Ron hired Dean Beatty to do some of the welding, as I was aware that Ron was dealing with many suppliers of, stainless steel, fasteners, gaskets, polishing and even shipping. Also that some time in either 2005 or 2006 the pipes were advertised on buckshotracefab.com web site which now appears to be closed. I sure don’t see how any of this changes my original post or why I would be accused of having my “wires crossed”.

I am also confused about the statement of where Ron lives, as if that has anything to do his ability produce the best stainless steel pipes anywhere. I guarantee Ron uses only the finest suppliers/fabricators in the country and is not doing this work in his back yard.

Craig
Old 07-14-2008, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1073 Keith Craft Genesis 427FE/482 CI
Not Ranked     

Can either company make them for a Hurricane? They are a slip fit at the header and I will be Swain-Tech coating them. I will want the race muffler and, if possible, 2 piece.

I can take any measurements needed but don't want to send the headers off for a template unless they can be returned quickly.

Let me know.

Dan
Old 07-15-2008, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Side pipes

Dan,

At the present time I only specialize in Superformance aftermarket products. Main reason is I have this brand of car to use as a checking fixture which eliminates the need for a car to be left at my location. Other brands of replica cobras are not in my scope of bussiness.

I will leave the hacking and slashing to others, especialy the people who do not have a reference car to work with.

Thank you for your interest,

Ron Roberts - Firefly Performance Products

Last edited by Ron Roberts; 07-15-2008 at 09:07 AM..
Old 07-15-2008, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance - FE
Not Ranked     

A quick response to Gary Osborn's and Carmine's posts:

The pipes on Gary's and Carmine's cars were manufactured by my supplier and shipped to their locations. These are Firefly Performance Pipes and are the original design not just another copy.

Gary and Carmine, thanks for your compliments and bussiness,

Ron
Old 07-15-2008, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dear danc30, as my husband mentioned last night in his private message to you, we can take your dreams and turn them into reality. We here at Buckshot Racefab are a non-denominational fab shop. We work on streetcars, streetmachines, streetrods, customs, racecars, pro-street cars and anything else that comes our way. All my hubands race chassis's have been sema tested and approved. His chassis's have been as fast as 6.17 seconds @ 243 mile per hour in the quarter mile and that was in 1976. My husband's qualifications speak for themselves. He can also build pipes for any car out there regardless of any engine/chassis combination. He has been in many publications where his header fabrication has been featured on cover cars etc.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Amazing everything has to turn into a fight.

The question was about Buckshot NOT Firefly. I have no knowledge of either company but if you (Firefly) wan't to talk about your own or possibly stolen product, start your own thread as opposed to hi-jacking your competitors.

Because of this attitude (from Firefly) I would never buy from your company. I also do not think that every manufacture that builds anything has to run out and buy the whole car to be able to build something for it. I wonder if Wildwood bought an SPF so they could sell brakes for it, or if Exxon bought one so they could sell the fuel that it burns?

Good grief!

Just my $.02
Old 07-16-2008, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dan
In my experience you need to check out any company you do business with. I have done business with big companies and very little companies, some good, some bad. In this day and age I would ask the following questions:
Can I see your shop?

Not your buddies shop or pictures of your buddies shop, your shop. If you can see their shop, you can see if it can do what they say it does. They also must have the proper tools to do the work they say they can do. Like if they paint cars, they must have a paint booth. If they didn't it would raise flags to me. You may find out that a companies shop is a mailbox.

Do you do all the work in house or send in out to a job shop?

If they send it out to a job shop then you are paying a middle man and they are charging money that you do not need to pay. You could find some job shop by you locally. With the computer age they set up websites and drop ship everything and all they do is collect a check. That is nothing more than an ebay store at work.

How long have they been in business?

If they have been around awhile then that tells you they are doing something right?
As always I would do a lot of research and draw your own conclusions. I use these questions when I search for work to be done for me. This is my opinion and I can only talk about my experiences. I do not know anything about either company so all I can say is do some research.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dear 4RE KLR

Thank you so much for your pleasant response. You might only think it was your two cents but we happen to think it is a tremendous amount of common sense.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Your more than welcome, and thank you!
Closed Thread