Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   SPF Coupe VS FFR Coupe (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/90510-spf-coupe-vs-ffr-coupe.html)

HI Cobra 08-22-2008 09:32 AM

Ernie,
Kei and Miki are in Tennessee now but are then headed back to California
for more tracking etc - so obviously the car is running fine.

MEATMASTER 08-22-2008 11:06 AM

A Brock Coupe by another name is just a car

Quote:

Originally Posted by SP01715 (Post 872645)
I think the official name for the SPF coupe is now "Shelby Daytona Coupe"? They had the car they built for Shelby at Hillbank the last time I was there, and I believe it had that on the car. Very nice car BTW, it had some trick Roush stuff on it as well.

What might be considered "official" today, may not be tomorrow and can change in a heartbeat... even if it is transplanted. Henry Ford designed the first Ford... and that Brock guy designed the first coupe. Whatever you call it, it doesn't change what it is to those that know, and those that care.

Now if you could only figure out how to stuff some long travel shocks under that thing and take 'er to Baja, eh Pete?

MEATMASTER. "...Taste the meat, NOT the heat"

CobraEd 08-22-2008 11:17 AM

Isn't the FFR coupe a non standard size that is significantly bigger than the real coupes were???? I thought I heard that when they first started making them. I could be wrong.

ENTDOC 08-22-2008 11:36 AM

The SPF is a new design and generally larger than the original, I think the FFR is close to the original size

Dinobyte 08-22-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cashburn (Post 872412)
If that is the case and you can wait a bit longer there should be some new offerings in the coupe market that will make things very interesting by then.

Please tell...don't leave us hanging! :confused:

Maricopa 08-22-2008 03:51 PM

FFR's is on a 95" wheelbase, a bit mo bigger than the REAL thing.

I think 80Gs for a top of the line '65 Coupe, even with a 427 Roush is a bit much. For that matter so is 100K for a Brock Coupe, but if I really just had to have a Coupe as a road car I'd spring the extra $$s for the SPF.

Cashburn 08-22-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinobyte (Post 872755)
Please tell...don't leave us hanging! :confused:

That's all I've got for now :LOL:

VetteManGRO 08-22-2008 06:33 PM

Legendary Motorsport is no longer. 427 Legends is the new name, Trac moved the shop from Castle Rock to Lakewood (closer to me...tease) and it is now a 2 car (Cobra and GT40) booth/office in the LeMay Auto museum. Trac is in Texas 90% of the time, so going to see him or a coupe has proven to be difficult. I agree with having a motor built locally (and that is what will happen when I choose the SPF) I need it to run at "Mile High" altitude AND 11K feet above sea level when I got up in the Rockies. Might have to check into a DOHC, fuel injected 427 (not traditional I know....but functional).
Plus you have the person who built it onhand to chase Gremlins down!
Thanks for ALL of the input. I think a SPF Coupe/Brock Coupe is they way I am going to go. Now I just need to find a blue w/ white stripes roller!

Excaliber 08-22-2008 08:57 PM

I don't know what FFR's or any other manufacturer intended when they designed/built their Coupes. Peter Brock has made it very clear HIS intentions was to design/build a modern Coupe utilizing current components that would excel against a modern car. Now because he IS 'Peter Brock' there is no argument as to what's period correct etc. The Brock Coupe is, what it is!

Anybody else building a Coupe is just making a "replica". How's that for some twisted, but accurate, logic! :D It may currently carry an SPF name, but it carries Peter's soul as well.

shark 08-23-2008 08:40 AM

I have a Superformance Brock Coupe and it is a "Grand Touring" sportscar. I had the chance to look at several FFR coupe's at London, OH this year. It's a diferent animal -- it appears more designed for track work than every day driving (like that would happen).

Like others have said, if you can, check out both cars in person -- it's a lot of money to throw down on something you have not seen and sat in.

Good luck on your decision -- Regards, Mike Sharkey

SF_SN888KE 08-23-2008 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Was at Denbeste's Motorsport (Windsor, CA.) with the BACC Wine and Wheels a couple of months ago and saw Shelby's personal "98" Coupe with paddle shifters.
http://www.denbestemotorsports.com/
Bill Denbeste is a great guy, but a Shelby with a Rousch won't be cheap. Check out his Shelby Mustang collection. If you can make it out to CA. worth the trip to compare GT 40, Shelby GT40, Coupes, SPF's.
I now own #27 Shell Valley Coupe. Built on a 90" wheelbase. Hard to get in, but a great alternative to FFR for a someone wanting a barebones rocket (they changed the frame design to lower the seat and more leg room - but it's a 90" wheebase). Call Malhon Miller, Miller Motorworks, in Erie CO 303-828-3642 if you want a custom built Shell Valley

Woodz428 08-23-2008 10:45 AM

We have almost 12,000 miles on SPC 037, pretty much a daily driver....although my shop is out the back door so the "daily" driving isn't what it once was. Never had it break, get towed or in any way leave me stranded. I do have issues with the way the wipers were set up, but that's been corrected. I build cars and doubt that I could build an FFR to the level that this car is. As has been pointed out the FFR is is more race oriented and the SPF is a GT car. I think my wife enjoys it as much/more than me...all she does is go along for the ride :-). So as has been suggested, evaluate how you intend to use it.

newBDR 08-23-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cashburn (Post 872796)
That's all I've got for now :LOL:

are you kidding? Is BDR coming out with a coupe? I'd like to know because I'm looking for replacement for BDR031, if I can ever sell it.

Excaliber 08-23-2008 02:10 PM

Ron; SF_SN888KE, must be talking about Shelby's paddle shift "Brock Coupe"... :LOL:

WildBill3 08-23-2008 04:27 PM

With some new skills I may live though this!!

I think James Yales Coupe was a fine example of a Coupe and could hold its own ,Exept for the windows thats just the only thing that really isnt up to par on the FFR's Coupe,as its been stated it all depends on the builder.Sooooo true.On The FFR site ther are many very refined Coupes ,SP puts out a very fine product thats is cosistantly reproduced.Building my own with my lack of skills(but learning new ones)has been alot of fun and a challenge Im just a racer at heart and want that feeling of the way it was when they sceamed though those tracks so many years ago.(I have always loved the term just barely street legel).:rolleyes:...Good thred.WB3

shark 08-24-2008 09:25 PM

Quote from the Factory Five website on their Coupe -- I'm speechless: "What we ended up with is a car that is a clone of the original in every way, but it is prettier. Look at it, ask anyone, compare it to vintage photos… The truth is the car looks better a bit larger. It’s not that it looks better than the original, it’s also prettier than any of the handful of replicas out there that all seem to miss the mark by some distance. Even the new car being built by those cranky South Africans (they paid Pete Brock to pen a new design Coupe) is a bit ugly… and it’s not just our opinion! We just lucked out and nailed it. The Factory Five Coupe is the best looking Coupe around, and by far."

Excaliber 08-24-2008 11:35 PM

Sounds like FFR is just a bit jealous! :LOL:

As I was out for a cruise today in my ERA I actually found myself contemplating selling it and getting a Coupe. Quite likely it would be an FFR because of price consideration. Build one myself? Have it built? Buy/trade for a used one? Hmmmm

"Po Boys Club President" :D

ENTDOC 08-25-2008 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shark (Post 873305)
Quote from the Factory Five website on their Coupe -- I'm speechless: "What we ended up with is a car that is a clone of the original in every way, but it is prettier. Look at it, ask anyone, compare it to vintage photos… The truth is the car looks better a bit larger. It’s not that it looks better than the original, it’s also prettier than any of the handful of replicas out there that all seem to miss the mark by some distance. Even the new car being built by those cranky South Africans (they paid Pete Brock to pen a new design Coupe) is a bit ugly… and it’s not just our opinion! We just lucked out and nailed it. The Factory Five Coupe is the best looking Coupe around, and by far."

how many sets of shocks does it come with?

Maricopa 08-25-2008 06:42 AM

FFR spent a fortune defending against a lawsuit that could have put SPF out of business and then were stabbed in the back by the a-holes. I don't agree with the comments on their site but I understand the bitterness. :LOL:

ENTDOC 08-25-2008 07:50 AM

and what exactly is it that SPF owes FFR for? Did SPF promise to pay part of the lawsuit? Stabbed in the back, how exactly did they do that?